Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-21-2015, 08:56 PM   #16
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorfindel View Post
There is a new update for the K4 I think, 4.1.2.
Edit: It fixed the problem!
Let us know if it broke anything.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 09:10 PM   #17
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
Sure thing
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2015, 06:45 AM   #18
hola!claude
Enthusiast
hola!claude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hola!claude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hola!claude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hola!claude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hola!claude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hola!claude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hola!claude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hola!claude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hola!claude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hola!claude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hola!claude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle 4NT B
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Let us know if it broke anything.
Yes I want to know that too !

My k4 will remain offline until I know it.
hola!claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 08:33 AM   #19
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
At first glance neither 3.4.1 nor 4.1.2 should break anything.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 08:49 AM   #20
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
Everything is working fine.
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2015, 10:10 AM   #21
arikfunke
Enthusiast
arikfunke is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.arikfunke is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.arikfunke is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.arikfunke is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.arikfunke is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.arikfunke is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.arikfunke is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.arikfunke is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.arikfunke is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.arikfunke is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.arikfunke is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Device: iRex
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Note that Amazon recently released FW 3.4.1 to fix that very thing on the K3. Which means they'll probably do so for the K4.
Thanks. That solved the issue. Oddly enough none of my devices installed this update OTA.

Even more surprising: the update is not available on the German Amazon pages:
http://www.amazon.de/gp/help/custome...deId=200595090

Only on the international Amazon pages:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200529700
arikfunke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 01:12 PM   #22
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Last edited by knc1; 02-19-2017 at 08:14 PM.
Old 05-19-2017, 01:05 AM   #23
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Question

Hi guys,

I bought my Kindle 4 NT Black from ebay recently. It was already on 4.1.3. Before installing anything, I did a full Factory Restore by stock means. Installed JB, USBN over Wi-Fi and pretty much all the tweaks I needed.
But I have the same web browser issue singe the beginning. Not a big deal, I just need to hit "ok" (4 times).

The manual update does not work if I put 4.1.3 install bin into Kindle's root.
Do you think it is a good idea to put it into mrpackages and give it a try taking into account all my tweaks?

Or is there any manual way to replace the certificates?

Thank you!
mergen3107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 08:57 AM   #24
knc1
Going Viral

The MrPI scripting is not intended to install Amazon packages.
Series 4.x firmware still uses incremental updates, that is not a supported 'feature' of MrPI.

You should be able to replace the certificates, but try this first:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=201994710

Note that installing that services update will not change the firmware version displayed by the Kindle.
So there is no easy way to tell if it has already been installed.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:19 AM   #25
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you knc1!
I put the update 4.1.3 into root, but Kindle just silently deleted it without giving me an option to update through Settings.

So how would you suggest to update the certificates?
I noticed that this 'unable to establish secure connection' error appears only a few websites, like Wikipedia, Yahoo Mail (allow to browse after I hit 'yes' 4 times), Wall Street Journal (says only the above error with no 'yes' option at all), Yahoo Mail (says once the error, then says that Browser is unable to display this page). Yahoo.com shows no error, just the latter message, NY Times just says 'Your Kindle is unable to load the requested page' although it showed some content behind the error box. Other stock bookmarks (Amazon, Google, Gmail, Facebook, Twitter, IMDB) works flawlessly.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:43 AM   #26
knc1
Going Viral

I did not mean the system image update.

I did mean the special services update (which includes tls support and an updated certificate pack).

Both have links on that same page.
Or at least they once did.

How trying to follow the links to the "Amazon Services Update" just loops back to the same page.

This is the one you want:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...3-FE062B233316

But the "transfer by usb" link for the K4 just leads back to the regular firmware update page, not Services Update with the new certificate pack.

Only Amazon can fix their circular set of links, tell them.
Old 05-19-2017, 12:30 PM   #27
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mergen3107 View Post
Thank you knc1!
I put the update 4.1.3 into root, but Kindle just silently deleted it without giving me an option to update through Settings.

So how would you suggest to update the certificates?
I noticed that this 'unable to establish secure connection' error appears only a few websites, like Wikipedia, Yahoo Mail (allow to browse after I hit 'yes' 4 times), Wall Street Journal (says only the above error with no 'yes' option at all), Yahoo Mail (says once the error, then says that Browser is unable to display this page). Yahoo.com shows no error, just the latter message, NY Times just says 'Your Kindle is unable to load the requested page' although it showed some content behind the error box. Other stock bookmarks (Amazon, Google, Gmail, Facebook, Twitter, IMDB) works flawlessly.
It is entirely possible your new Kindle wasn't updated last March. Follow the link knc1 gave to get the wireless update or it won't allow you to connect to the internet.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 05:39 PM   #28
mergen3107
Wizard

Thank you for your response!
Actually, it seems to be already updated by the time I got it.
Or do you mean that it does matter whether it was update before of after March 2016?
In general, Kindle is working - I can download books from my Archives, access many web-sites, connect to social network, etc.
The only thing is that some websites refuse to load with the 'unable to establish a secure connection' error.
I tried to contact them over the phone and they tell me something like it should work if it is already on 4.1.3.

So is there any way to replace the certificates manually on the jailbroken Kindle?
Old 05-19-2017, 07:25 PM   #29
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mergen3107 View Post
Thank you for your response!
Actually, it seems to be already updated by the time I got it.
Or do you mean that it does matter whether it was update before of after March 2016?
In general, Kindle is working - I can download books from my Archives, access many web-sites, connect to social network, etc.
The only thing is that some websites refuse to load with the 'unable to establish a secure connection' error.
I tried to contact them over the phone and they tell me something like it should work if it is already on 4.1.3.

So is there any way to replace the certificates manually on the jailbroken Kindle?
Yes, it matters. We are not talking the firmware update but the security update that is mandatory.
You asked the wrong question.
You called Amazon. You asked if wireless should work on firmware 4.1.3.
You got the correct answer for the question you asked. The tech assumed that the Kindle had the mandatory service security update.
Now the darn thing takes less than 20 minutes, connect your Kindle to your computer, go to link knc1 gave you. Click on the security update. You will know within seconds if it has been updated or needs the update.
Note: I have a K3 I need to update both ways.
If that fails to resolve your problem, come back and we will do more troubleshooting.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 07:45 PM   #30
mergen3107
Wizard

I can't find any security updates at all. Both links lead to conventional update 4.1.3