Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 07-11-2014, 02:57 AM   #1291
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Hi

The latest nightly "v2014.04-309..." works pretty well on KoboGlo (v. 2.8.1.). As reported above, we can now select our language for hyphenation. I tried also a stardict dictionary (Académie française 1935) which is working well - though there is a lagging time of some seconds to display the word.

I also noticed a new "zsync" client as mysterious for me as the Evernote one.

koreader is now my reading application of choice, reactive, flexible and precise. Hopefully we'll soon be able to use it also for proofreading when a note-taking feature will be implemented. (in an ideal world, we should be able to correct directly the text instead of taking note of one mistake, but this is most probably a dream).

Thanks for all your efforts!!

Last edited by roger64; 07-11-2014 at 03:07 AM.
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 03:15 AM   #1292
WS64
WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura / PB Lux 2 / Bookeen Frontlight / Kobo Mini / Nook Color
@Roger, just curious, why do you need note-taking for proofreading?
I just mark erroneous parts and correct them later on my PC within the EPUB. Of course that means I have to find out again later what exactly was wrong at these marked passages, but this seems much easier to me than having to write something on the reader to describe the error.
WS64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2014, 08:45 AM   #1293
jpalacios
jpalacios actually enjoys Vogon poetry.jpalacios actually enjoys Vogon poetry.jpalacios actually enjoys Vogon poetry.jpalacios actually enjoys Vogon poetry.jpalacios actually enjoys Vogon poetry.jpalacios actually enjoys Vogon poetry.jpalacios actually enjoys Vogon poetry.jpalacios actually enjoys Vogon poetry.jpalacios actually enjoys Vogon poetry.jpalacios actually enjoys Vogon poetry.jpalacios actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS64 View Post
I just mark erroneous parts and correct them later on my PC within the EPUB. Of course that means I have to find out again later what exactly was wrong at these marked passages, but this seems much easier to me than having to write something on the reader to describe the error.
oh, by the way...
Is there any way to list all the highlights of a book? I mean something like the annotations list of kobo. This is something that prevents me to switch completely to KoReader for everyday use.
jpalacios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 11:18 AM   #1294
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
@Roger, just curious, why do you need note-taking for proofreading? [...]
Of course, I use my PC for many corrections. But, to proofread a book, there is no way I would use the PC. I use only the ebook-reader and try to mark or highlight the mistakes (because I cannot correct them on the spot). Maybe I am just taking note of them and not "note-taking"?

Last edited by roger64; 07-11-2014 at 11:21 AM.
Old 07-11-2014, 11:32 AM   #1295
WS64
WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Roger, no, I do the actual proofreading on the reader. And I mark all faulty parts.
Then I go to the PC, open the (@jpalacios, listen!) history folder (.kobo/koreader/history) and load the lua file with the book name into a text editor. All parts starting with ["text"] are the before marked parts. I search for them in Sigil and correct them.
So at the reader I don't need to make any notations, it is enough to highlight these faulty parts (which works great with Koreader!)
Advert
Old 07-11-2014, 12:23 PM   #1296
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
I once had the plan (actually with reference to the kepub renderer) to write for instance r:aaa, or f:bbb, or b:ccc into the notes and have then on the pc a script replacing the marked text by aaa, or insert bbb in front of it, or ccc behind it. I still think that this would be helpful when you really re-write (smaller) parts of a text rather then only correct typos. However, it turned out I am too lazy to do the coding.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 04:01 PM   #1297
roger64
Wizard

Quote:
@Roger, no, I do the actual proofreading on the reader. And I mark all faulty parts.
Then I go to the PC, open the (@jpalacios, listen!) history folder (.kobo/koreader/history) and load the lua file with the book name into a text editor. All parts starting with ["text"] are the before marked parts. I search for them in Sigil and correct them.
So at the reader I don't need to make any notations, it is enough to highlight these faulty parts (which works great with Koreader!)
Thanks for the tip. I'll try it for next book.

EDIT: I had a small try: I've got two identical "title".lua files
- one in the main directory, in a "title".sdr folder
- the other in the .kobo/koreader/history folder ([#mnt#onboard#]

Texts highlights are conveniently there. Handy!

Last edited by roger64; 07-11-2014 at 04:39 PM. Reason: edit
Old 07-13-2014, 02:48 PM   #1298
evanft
Zealot
evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Nvm. Got it.

Last edited by evanft; 07-13-2014 at 02:51 PM.
evanft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 09:23 AM   #1299
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
koreader-kobo-arm-linux-gnueabihf-v2014.04-358-g7375219 is having the same problem retaining page locations and not being able to return to the File Manager, that 309 had.

I know it was dismissed before but it makes both 309 and this new build unusable. So back to 273.

I also noticed that in this build, as well as build 309, on merging the koreader folder I was given a error/warning that the History folder could not be found in the temp directory. Why would you be trying to add a new History folder? I just used the "skip" option, to complete the merge. (Had to skip that again when reinstalling 273)

Luck;
Ken

hmm... The download for 358 is no longer there at Github, hope this means they are aware of the issue and are fixing it. I downloaded it when it said that it was posted 21min ago. It appears it was pulled because it wasn't working on KPW. Good thing build 273 works so well.

It's back up at Github but still has the same problems on my AuraHD 3.02
Back on 273.

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 07-14-2014 at 11:42 AM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 11:58 AM   #1300
WS64

I'm back to 273 too.
A shame actually, since I'm waiting for 10 days now to add some new things which I can't since I have to start from "old files"...
Here's the GitHub issue for this one: https://github.com/koreader/koreader/issues/724
That 309 was not available for a while is because of 722/723.
Old 07-14-2014, 08:13 PM   #1301
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
If someone with a Kobo & an external SD card could test the commit mentioned in #724 that WS64 just linked, that'd be great .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 08:17 PM   #1302
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'm back to 273 too.
A shame actually, since I'm waiting for 10 days now to add some new things which I can't since I have to start from "old files"...
Here's the GitHub issue for this one: https://github.com/koreader/koreader/issues/724
That 309 was not available for a while is because of 722/723.
How does changing from Koreader 273 to 309 or 358, change how kobo mounts the external uSD?

How can anyone expect that providing a write ("w") switch to a file op make it possible to write to something mounted as "ro" read only?

Confused!!

Luck;
Ken
Old 07-14-2014, 08:49 PM   #1303
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@Ken Maltby: It doesn't. As I understand it, Kobo has *always* mounted the external SD read-only.

The issue simply lies in the fact that KOReader never tried to write in there before .

We don't bundle luaposix, whose stat wrapper would have been perfect for this (AFAICT), so I had to resort to ugly hacks around io.open to check if we actually did have permission to do what we wanted. Hence the io.open calls, which will return nil if we can't do what we want (and/or if the file doesn't even exists).
So now, if we can't do it, we don't, instead of trying to no matter what, and wonderfully blowing up in subsequent calls because of a non-existant fd.

(I could also argue that, in both cases, dofile & insert are dumb for not handling nil properly themselves, but, hey, it's lua, it's designed to mirror ANSI C, so I can't really complain ;p).

[In case that wasn't obvious, I'm far from lua's biggest fan, so, err, take my comments with a grain of salt ^^]

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-14-2014 at 08:55 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 08:49 PM   #1304
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
If someone with a Kobo & an external SD card could test the commit mentioned in #724 that WS64 just linked, that'd be great .
OK, but it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. (back in a few)

It took awhile as koreader crashes on load now both with the Start Menu and with Nickel. I am pretty sure I got all the changes right, so back to 273

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 07-14-2014 at 09:23 PM.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:54 PM   #1305
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@Ken Maltby: It doesn't. As I understand it, Kobo has *always* mounted the external SD read-only.

The issue simply lies in the fact that KOReader never tried to write in there before .
Hmm... and yet there is no problem with History, or "Last file Open", or the home icon returning to the "File Manager" page, without koreader writing there - in 273 and before. What changed so that whatever approach you had working before, could no longer be used?

Luck;
Ken