Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 09-30-2013, 01:06 PM   #1111
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinmaan View Post
The same thing happens if you buy a Kindle title, then click immediately on the link to buy the Audible equal. I think Amazon likes the uh-oh click in hopes that someone won't bother asking for a refund if that isn't what they meant to do. (For the same reason I hate 1-click.) A different way will give you more control over your purchase - use the search function, but click on the individual titles themselves and not the buy link. Once you are on the product page the buy button will add the item and take you to your Audible shopping cart, giving you a chance to re-evaluate before buying.
Yeah--I did have the same thing happen a while back with a Kindle book. I was buying one of the Kindle deals and the companion audiobook, and was surprised to find the purchase made when I thought I would be going to the Audible shopping cart.

Today though, I wanted to refresh my memory on some of the titles from the link you provided and was really surprised to find I'd made a purchase, especially since there's no alternative to click on. Can't believe they don't just have a "confirm order" popup, as they do for music purchases.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 01:55 PM   #1112
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
There's no listing for the Daily Deal today, so I'm not sure if the promo has ended or not. It's been running for a little over a month now (started 26 Aug).

In the spot where the Daily Deal normally was, there's a Whisperesync offer
I've been checking the daily deal shortcut each day and this is listed as today's "daily deal". It was $1.95 as a daily deal, $0.99 if you buy the Kindle edition first (and there are free choices on Kindle).
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2013, 02:17 PM   #1113
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
I've been checking the daily deal shortcut each day and this is listed as today's "daily deal". It was $1.95 as a daily deal, $0.99 if you buy the Kindle edition first (and there are free choices on Kindle).
Yeah, as I've since discovered. skinmaan explained what happened. That title was the first one of the Daily Deals that I already owned, so it wasn't showing up for me as such. I subscribed to the email to avoid making that mistake again.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 04:12 AM   #1114
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Audible Daily Deal -- exp 01 Oct

edit - I borrowed the Kindle book from a public library back in Jan 2013. Because of that, I'm still eligible for the Whispersync pricing of $3.49 for the Audible version. So if you have access to a public library that has the Kindle book, you can save a bit of money and you're not up against a deadline.

Last edited by tubemonkey; 10-01-2013 at 04:26 AM.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:13 AM   #1115
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
edit - I borrowed the Kindle book from a public library back in Jan 2013. Because of that, I'm still eligible for the Whispersync pricing of $3.49 for the Audible version. So if you have access to a public library that has the Kindle book, you can save a bit of money and you're not up against a deadline.
Really? I figured the Whispersync pricing would go away once the book was returned. I just borrowed several Kindle books from my library to get the companion audiobooks, so I'm happy to know I don't have to buy them all right away.
Advert
Old 10-01-2013, 10:23 AM   #1116
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Really? I figured the Whispersync pricing would go away once the book was returned. I just borrowed several Kindle books from my library to get the companion audiobooks, so I'm happy to know I don't have to buy them all right away.
Really! Amazon knows I borrowed it, but it still counts as "owning it". Go figure.

This is one reason why I post the Whispersync version with the Daily Deal. It gives folks a chance to go back and get deals they missed.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:32 AM   #1117
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Audible Daily Deal Archives -- Oct 2013

The Daily Deal is a new promo introduced by Audible (26 Aug 2013). Each day, they'll offer a new audiobook at a very low price. The deal is valid that day only and expires at 11:59pm ET.

This post serves as an archive of all audiobooks offered under this promo; plus the corresponding Whispersync versions (if available). The first price is the Audible deal and is expired. The second price is the Whispersync deal and is still active. If you missed getting a title on the daily deal, you still have a chance to get it through Whispersync. Remember, you must first own the Kindle ebook to be eligible for the reduced Whispersync pricing (and borrowing the Kindle ebook from a public library or the Kindle Lending Library counts as "ownership").

Index of All Deals

Audible Daily Deals (expired) / Whispersync Deals (still active)

Last edited by tubemonkey; 10-24-2013 at 03:26 AM.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:46 AM   #1118
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Really! Amazon knows I borrowed it, but it still counts as "owning it". Go figure.

This is one reason why I post the Whispersync version with the Daily Deal. It gives folks a chance to go back and get deals they missed.
I was even going to ask here about whether the special pricing goes away when a borrowed book is returned, and then I thought, No, that's a stupid question, of course it must go away ... !
Old 10-01-2013, 01:18 PM   #1119
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Amazon Local Mobile App Exclusive

Three Free Audiobooks Books with Audible Membership
  • Claim Voucher by 03 Oct
  • Redeem Voucher by 11 Oct
  • New Audible Customers Only
  • Must Claim via Amazon Local App
Note: since this free 3-month trial is variable based upon the date you signed up, you must cancel your membership anywhere from 31 Dec 2013 ~ 10 Jan 2014 to avoid charges -- YMMV

Quote:
What You Need to Know:
  • Sold by Audible.com
  • Valid for new Audible.com customers only
  • This deal is available only on the Amazon Local app through October 3, 2013
  • Voucher will expire if not redeemed on Audible.com by 11:59 P.M. EST on October 11, 2013
  • Voucher valid for Audible.com membership with first 3 months free, and 1 free audio book a month for the first 3 months
  • At the end of the 3-month promotional period, your Audible.com subscription will be renewed at the full price of $14.95 per month. You can cancel your membership at any time at Audible.com
  • Limit 1 voucher per customer
  • Available only to U.S. customers
  • The promotion is valid for a limited time only and while promotional items supplies last
  • Voucher is not redeemable for any other types of merchandise sold at Amazon.com
  • Offer is not transferable, not exchangeable and has no cash value
  • You must have an Amazon.com account and accept the Audible.com Service Terms of Use to redeem the code
  • Voucher is available for use immediately after purchase
  • Other conditions apply

Last edited by tubemonkey; 10-17-2013 at 03:05 AM.
Old 10-01-2013, 05:04 PM   #1120
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Free Audiobook of the Month from ChristianAudio
Quote:
Jonathan Edwards is one of the most extraordinary figures in American history. Arguably the most brilliant theologian ever born on American soil, Edwards (1703–1758) was also a pastor, a renowned preacher, a missionary to the Native Americans, a biographer, a college president, a philosopher, a loving husband, and the father of eleven children.
edit: ChristianAudio has simplified downloading for the free audiobook of the month

Free Audiobook of the Month from LearnOutLoud
Quote:
This motivational story follows the persistent efforts of a hardworking salesman named Peck who seeks to impress the executives by carrying out his slogan: "It shall be done". This hour-long audio book is an entertaining way to get motivated, whether it be for your job, your education, or any other goals you have set for yourself. The Go-Getter is well read by Richard Lund and available on MP3 Download through LearnOutLoud.com.

Last edited by tubemonkey; 10-01-2013 at 05:09 PM.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:06 AM   #1121
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Audible Daily Deal -- exp 02 Oct
Old 10-02-2013, 05:15 AM   #1122
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Blackstone Audio Buys AudioGo US - Merging Downpour & AudioGo

Quote:
Blackstone Audio Buys AudioGo U.S. Arm -- 22 Oct 2013

After being acquired by U.K-based AudioGo at the end of 2012, Blackstone Audio has turned around and bought all the U.S. assets of AudioGo in a move that effectively ends the nine-month merger. AudioGo’s U.K. assets in Bath are not part of the deal, which gives Craig and Michelle Black, cofounders of Blackstone Audio, total ownership of the American business.

The unwinding of the deal was largely due to problems in the U.K.-side of the business. The U.K. trade publication The Bookseller reported that the U.K. division has suspended operations due to "financial challenges" while it looks for an investment or a sale. According to Josh Stanton, president and CEO of Blackstone Audio, the U.S. arm of AudioGo has been profitable. Since the December 2012 merger, Stanton, who had been responsible for the combined North American Blackstone-AudioGo business, had been overseeing the integration of the two companies, a process that included the downsizing of its North Kingstown, R.I. office. Stanton said that with the new deal, he expects to retain a recording studio in Rhode Island and a New York City office in addition to the Blackstone headquarters in Ashland, Ore. The purchase includes all AudioGo brands and will bring the Blackstone audiobook catalogue to about 9,000 titles. The addition of AudioGo, “grows Blackstone by about 50%,” Stanton noted. Stanton expects that the AudioGo name will be phased out on titles over the next year or so.
Quote:
Dear AudioGO customers -- 02 Oct 2013

All new audiobook purchases will take place at www.downpour.com as the AudioGO US site will no longer be available. If you have already purchased audiobooks from AudioGO, you can access your library indefinitely by bookmarking this page and clicking “My Library” in the upper right corner. We are working to bring all your favorite titles over to www.downpour.com, adding more each week. Many titles are already available, as is a special section called “AudioGO Favorites.” We thank you for your patience during this process and will provide updates as we progress.
Quote:
AudioGO Acquires Blackstone Audio -- 03 Jan 2013

The AudioGO Group completed its acquisition of Blackstone Audio from founders Craig and Michelle Black, effective December 27, 2012, adding Blackstone’s 5000-title catalog to its existing 10,000 audiobook offerings, some 4000 of which are available to libraries. Craig Black was appointed to the Group’s board of directors, and he and Michelle Black will remain as consultants to the Group. Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.
Quote:
AudioGo Combines with Blackstone Audio -- 03 Jan 2013

The AudioGO Group of companies today announced that it had completed the acquisition of Blackstone Audio from the Black family with effect from December 27, 2012. Consideration was not disclosed.
Quote:
Blackstone Audio Launches Downpour.com! -- 29 Aug 2012

Forgive me if I sound like a father gushing over the birth of his first child, but I’m over-the-top excited about the launch of our new e-commerce site: Downpour.com. Aside from the fact that our customers can now download audiobooks published by Blackstone and most of the main publishing houses, including Simon & Schuster, Penguin, Hachette, HarperCollins, and Recorded Books, the site is just so slick and incredibly easy to navigate. It offers search and download experiences that are second to none.
Quote:
AudioGO US Brief History

AudioGO started out as Curley Publishing, a publisher of large print books on Cape Cod in Massachusetts. Curley was in turn acquired by Chivers Publishing — making us Chivers North America — moving us to the New Hampshire seacoast region and putting us in the audiobook business.

In August 2001, BBC Worldwide Ltd. acquired Chivers Press including Chivers North America, making us BBC Audiobooks America. In 2005, our corporate offices relocated to the shores of Narragansett Bay in Rhode Island

In April of 2007, BBC Audiobooks America acquired the audiobook publishing assets of Audio Partners Publishing Corporation, providing BBC Audiobooks America with more than 400 titles, including Pride and Prejudice, Brave New World and the 38-title boxed set of The Complete Arkangel Shakespeare. That acquisition also made BBC Audiobooks America the exclusive publisher of all unabridged Agatha Christie audiobook titles in the U.S. and Canada.

In July 2010, a private group of investors from the business, entertainment, and media industries purchased BBC Audiobooks America and BBC Audiobooks Ltd. (UK) and we became AudioGO. We continue to offer the best in quality audio entertainment.

Last edited by tubemonkey; 12-10-2013 at 08:04 AM.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:56 AM   #1123
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Downpour Deal of the Week -- exp 09 Oct
  • The Cut - George Pelecanos ($5.98) --- no Whispersync version

Quote:
Spero Lucas has a new line of work. Since he returned home after serving in Iraq, he has been doing special investigations for a defense attorney. He’s good at it, and he has carved out a niche: recovering stolen property, no questions asked. His cut is forty percent.

A high-profile crime boss who has heard of Lucas’ specialty hires him to find out who has been stealing from his operation. It’s the biggest job Lucas has ever been offered, and he quickly gets a sense of what’s going on. But before he can close in on what’s been taken, he tangles with a world of men whose amorality and violence leave him reeling. Is any cut worth your family, your lover, your life?

Spero Lucas is George Pelecanos’ greatest creation, a young man making his place in the world one battle and one mission at a time. The first in a new series of thrillers featuring Spero Lucas, The Cut is the latest confirmation of why George Pelecanos is “perhaps America’s greatest living crime writer” (Stephen King).

Last edited by tubemonkey; 10-02-2013 at 07:24 PM. Reason: corrected price
Old 10-03-2013, 01:30 AM   #1124
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Free Audiobook of the Month from Amazon Whispersync
Quote:
At the outset of Arthur Conan Doyle’s The Sign of Four, the ever-faithful Dr. Watson debates confronting his boss - the brilliant Sherlock Holmes - about his drug problem. The Sign of Four is the second installment in the Holmes series and greatly expands upon the emotional and spiritual sides of the great detective. Performed by British master, Patrick Tull, whose deep voice and impeccable dialect carry the listener, The Sign of Four features a secret pact made between corrupt prison guards and four convicts, and a mysterious string of pearls received by a client of Holmes. While not necessarily a success upon initial publication, The Sign of Four has been dramatically adapted at least 12 times.
Old 10-03-2013, 03:19 AM   #1125
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Audible Daily Deal -- exp 03 Oct