Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-31-2017, 10:54 AM   #4111
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleStar View Post
Still buying ebooks!!!(2 this week) AHHHHH at least it's authors I know I like and not just "oh this is on sale and looks good." Better to pay more for books I l like than to just get something cause it's on sale. So that's something.

If your TBR is large, you should try waiting even for authors you like. Unless you plan to read the books immediately.

After all, the book you buy today at full price might be in a Kindle Daily Deal tomorrow. Or Kobo might issue an unlimited 50% off coupon.

But well done on resisting "oh this is on sale and looks good."
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 11:02 AM   #4112
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Eight hours to go, and only 3 (THREE!) books bought this month! (OK, I also added three freebies to my TBR.)

But with 13 read, I've reduced my TBR by 7 this month! I'm aiming to reduce by my TBR by at least 47 books this year, so I'm well on my way.

I wonder what February will bring....
Advert
Old 01-31-2017, 11:03 AM   #4113
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
If your TBR is large, you should try waiting even for authors you like. Unless you plan to read the books immediately.

After all, the book you buy today at full price might be in a Kindle Daily Deal tomorrow. Or Kobo might issue an unlimited 50% off coupon.

But well done on resisting "oh this is on sale and looks good."
This is true!!!!!! And the book would still be there when I want to read it. But I get that itch, you know...lol I have a little over 100 on my reader, so yeah I guess it's large.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 11:16 AM   #4114
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
This is true!!!!!! And the book would still be there when I want to read it. But I get that itch, you know...lol I have a little over 100 on my reader, so yeah I guess it's large.
Well, how many do you read a year? If you read 100 a year, it's a little large. If you read 10 a year, it's huge!

(I have to confess that I have over five years of my average reading in my TBR. I'm working on it. But every time I make a new inventory of my books, it seems to get bigger!)
Old 01-31-2017, 11:27 AM   #4115
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
And as I've had to acknowledge to my sorrow, tastes change. There are books I thought I wanted to read when I bought them, but now I know I probably never will.

At some point I want to reorganize my Calibre library so that the active portion only contains books that will be read and I'll "archive" the rest, since storage is cheep, unlike shelf space.

Quote:
Eight hours to go, and only 3 (THREE!) books bought this month! (OK, I also added three freebies to my TBR.)

But with 13 read, I've reduced my TBR by 7 this month! I'm aiming to reduce by my TBR by at least 47 books this year, so I'm well on my way.

I wonder what February will bring....
Good for you, Paul!
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2017, 05:19 PM   #4116
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Well, how many do you read a year? If you read 100 a year, it's a little large. If you read 10 a year, it's huge!

(I have to confess that I have over five years of my average reading in my TBR. I'm working on it. But every time I make a new inventory of my books, it seems to get bigger!)
Somewhere in between! 40-50 usually.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 07:03 PM   #4117
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just when I thought I'd got through January unscathed, I was mightily tempted by a publisher's deal: regularly $14.99, now $2.99. But as I've said, I know it's easier for me to buy nothing at all, so I I'm sitting on my hands.
Old 02-01-2017, 02:33 AM   #4118
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
I've got over a decade of reading lined up, but most of it needs to be processed and polished before I load it onto my reader. (My reader shows 940 books loaded while Goodreads shows 1899 unread ebooks, but I've already read some of that 940 - they're on the device for rereading and/or evangelizing.) That doesn't even count a few hundred untouched Ent corpses…

As for the growing inventory, I completely know how that goes. I've read 43 books so far this year, but a large chunk of those were graphic novels that I hadn't added to Goodreads. Thus, while I made a huge step toward meeting my annual goal, my TBR list didn't drop nearly as much as it "should" have - I'd start a GN, add it to GR for tracking, finish it, and my TBR would be right back at square one. The upside is that most of that - all of the complete GNs I had in comiXology, except one I reserve for emergencies - has now been taken care of. I still have some bundle-bought GNs, like the Buffy Birthday and Top Cow stuff, that need added, but those are pretty far down my list of reading priorities.

In fact, now that I think of it, a big chunk of that 1899 count comes from the Open Road Christmas giveaway, where I got about 450 books at no cost. I'm so far behind on processing that bundle that I still need to add "I own a copy" notes on 400 of them to Goodreads, but setting those aside cuts my "unread books that need processed" count practically in half - from 1081 to 631. That's still a lot, but it's less than what's already on my Kobo. (Now, watch as I attempt to forget that a sizable chunk of the Kobo contents didn't really get processed well…)

tl;dr - At least you know someone else is in even worse shape!
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 02:59 AM   #4119
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
tl;dr - At least you know someone else is in even worse shape!

Although having lots to read isn't really a hardship. When I think how I used to haunt second-hand bookshops and discount book stores, looking for something new to read....
Old 02-01-2017, 04:15 AM   #4120
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Although having lots to read isn't really a hardship. When I think how I used to haunt second-hand bookshops and discount book stores, looking for something new to read....
I can't recall the last time I lacked new reading material except when it was my own damn fault - as in, I left home without a second book when I was almost done with another. Same goes for movies and TV shows for the last decade-plus; I've got hundreds of hours of video content just waiting to be watched, and that's just some TV box sets I can think of offhand. (Alias, Man from U.N.C.L.E., Knight Rider, Quantum Leap, Incredible Hulk, True Blood...)

My problem tends to be deciding what to pick up next, and this year's "weekly theme" structure is already helping me quite a bit in that respect. I had a short superhero novel "left over" from last week, so I dug into my archives for the back half of a series I've been meaning to finish to keep the week "thematically pure" before switching to SF next week.
Old 02-01-2017, 06:32 AM   #4121
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:

I have to agree with you. When I think of how many hours I wasted haunting any store that sold books in the hope of finding something new to read. Living in small towns does not leave you with many options. I was even known to drive two hours away to haunt stores in larger towns.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 07:29 AM   #4122
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I have to agree with you. When I think of how many hours I wasted haunting any store that sold books in the hope of finding something new to read. Living in small towns does not leave you with many options. I was even known to drive two hours away to haunt stores in larger towns.
Apache
I never thought of time spent in bookstores as time wasted.

What I wish is that I'd not carried over my pbook buying habits to the etherworld. It made sense to have a substantial backlog of pbooks, so that not only would I always have something to read, I'd always have a selection so I could suit the mood of the moment. This is, as we know, unnecessary with on-demand buying. But I still seemed to have the same level of "what will I read next?" insecurity, compounded by the lack of the physical brake created by stacks of books.

Yeah, I know, bargains. But only if they get read at some point!
Old 02-01-2017, 08:12 AM   #4123
Rev. Bob
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
What I wish is that I'd not carried over my pbook buying habits to the etherworld. It made sense to have a substantial backlog of pbooks, so that not only would I always have something to read, I'd always have a selection so I could suit the mood of the moment. This is, as we know, unnecessary with on-demand buying.
As someone who lost his job suddenly and with zero warning, I respectfully disagree. I'm quite glad I have a substantial backlog of ebooks to see me through these lean times when paying full price for an $8 Big Five book is a luxury. (And yes, one of the first things I plan to do when I get back on my feet is empty my top-priority gotta-have-'em wishlist. It's about twenty books, all released in the past couple of years, and most are part of ongoing series I've thoroughly enjoyed.)

I bought a ton of ebooks while I was making steady money, well more than I could keep up with. I used the hell out of Kobo coupons, and if I hadn't, I wouldn't have been able to replace nearly as many dead-tree books as I did; that path is most likely closed forever. If I hadn't built up a big TBR pile while I could afford to do so cheaply, I'd be a lot worse off now. I don't regret that a bit. What I do regret, to some degree, is going overboard and paying full price for vaguely appealing books that I could've picked up anytime.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:48 AM   #4124
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
What I do regret, to some degree, is going overboard and paying full price for vaguely appealing books that I could've picked up anytime.
We're not that far apart. In the long run, I think my spree will pay off. But I'll be in the virtual hole for quite some time before I can offset the cost of my inventory with the current price of books as I read them. And worst of all, a not insignificant part of my library will never be read, even if I stay hale and hearty. In some cases, my tastes have changed; in others, I'll just never feel like it. Those "vaguely appealing books" you mentioned, even if I got a good deal on them, represent money wasted. Mistakes will always be made as one amasses a collection, but I think I made too many.

Oh, well. It didn't take food off the table at the time and now it's a sunk cost. I think (hope!) I've finally learned my lesson.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:56 AM   #4125
Rev. Bob
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Oh, well. It didn't take food off the table at the time and now it's a sunk cost.
Yeah, that's about where I'm at. I'm just a smidge more optimistic about it.