Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 02-23-2017, 06:02 PM   #16
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Bell View Post
Thanks Red. That helps a lot. I think I judged this Calibre compare too quickly. I think it's going to be good. A question though. I made three changes to a file and ran the compare. It caught all the changes but adds all this other distracting stuff that it's calling changes, which makes it harder to find the actual changes. (screenshot--I circled some of them). Is there any way to get rid of that clutter?
Greg - not that I know of.

Suggest you put your question in the calibre/Editor forum ==>> https://www.mobileread.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=262

Looks like you'd like an option to suppress highlighting of differences in markup, other folks might like the suppression of differences in content. Kovid is the best person to answer that question.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 12:42 AM   #17
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Greg - not that I know of.

Suggest you put your question in the calibre/Editor forum ==>> https://www.mobileread.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=262

Looks like you'd like an option to suppress highlighting of differences in markup, other folks might like the suppression of differences in content. Kovid is the best person to answer that question.

BR
Thanks Red. Thing is there were no changes in the markup. The Calibre Editor just somehow found them. I'll experiment with it some more and if I have more questions I'll go to the other forum. Appreciate it.
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 06:12 AM   #18
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Thanks Red. Thing is there were no changes in the markup. The Calibre Editor just somehow found them. I'll experiment with it some more and if I have more questions I'll go to the other forum. Appreciate it.
The differences look like the result of using different editors, or options when doing something like a convert. You could open both versions in the same editor, run whatever code cleanup or HTML formatting function they have and save them. That should remove a lot of the markup differences.

The alternative is to use calibre to convert both to text. Then do a text comparison of the results.

Also, the third thing you marked is not a difference. That's a unicode character - probably an emdash. The calibre editor marks unicode characters them in yellow to make it easy to see. The differences are on the lines that have the blue background. The grey background is to give some context around the changes.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 06:51 AM   #19
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
To compare different versions of the same epub, usually. It's very handy to know exactly what changes you made to the original. It's the heart and and soul of any version control system. Very handy when multiple people are working on the same project (or you just want to track your changes/ corrections/additions to an epub over time).

Very handy for simply double-checking your own work, as well. I would think the benefits would be painfully obvious (even if it's not something you see yourself needing).
Ah, for the author (publisher) him-herself, yes!

The only use that came to my mind was checking competing versions of a public-domain book on Amazon.com. I could use such a feature for competing versions of À la recherche du temps perdu for example.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 07:54 AM   #20
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
... run whatever code cleanup or HTML formatting function they have and save them. That should remove a lot of the markup differences.
I forgot to mention I have calibre's on open code beautifier unchecked in Editor Options, it probably defaults to checked, I also have Sigil's Mend on Save and Close unchecked - I prefer to do such things knowingly, then if something goes wrong I've only myself to blame.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 06:55 PM   #21
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The differences look like the result of using different editors, or options when doing something like a convert. You could open both versions in the same editor, run whatever code cleanup or HTML formatting function they have and save them. That should remove a lot of the markup differences.

The alternative is to use calibre to convert both to text. Then do a text comparison of the results.

Also, the third thing you marked is not a difference. That's a unicode character - probably an emdash. The calibre editor marks unicode characters them in yellow to make it easy to see. The differences are on the lines that have the blue background. The grey background is to give some context around the changes.
Thanks David. I'm still not sure I understand though. The files are the same files. Even if I just take a comma out of one of them, then compare them, all that markup will be in there.

The convert to text worked very well. I converted to text and then plopped them into Diffchecker and the differences were very apparent.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:38 PM   #22
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Okay, here's what I found that really worked for me. Going with David's idea of epub>txt and then comparing.

For the conversion from epub to txt I used this online converter:

www.epubconverter.com/epub-to-txt-converter/

Super fast and accurate.

For comparison I like this online tool.

https://text-compare.com/

Super precise and it has a 'next change' option (in between the compared texts) which really helps with a huge bunch of text.

The screenshot is kind of cluttered but you get the idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_111.png
Views:	171
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	155277  
Old 02-24-2017, 10:50 PM   #23
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Thanks David. I'm still not sure I understand though. The files are the same files. Even if I just take a comma out of one of them, then compare them, all that markup will be in there.
But, they aren't the same files because the text in them is different. I don't know why the text is different, but whatever was done to make the text changes probably had side affects on the markup. Basically, something in the in the process to produce the two different versions has affected the markup in different ways.
Quote:
The convert to text worked very well. I converted to text and then plopped them into Diffchecker and the differences were very apparent.
Glad it worked.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 04:51 PM   #24
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
But, they aren't the same files because the text in them is different. I don't know why the text is different, but whatever was done to make the text changes probably had side affects on the markup. Basically, something in the in the process to produce the two different versions has affected the markup in different ways.
Thanks for the explanation.
Old 02-25-2017, 06:35 PM   #25
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
The original issue was that Greg made changes in an epub that had been created from an LO document, and then wanted to make a print version of his book. It was suggested that one way to track down his changes would be to remake the ePub from LO and then compare the two epubs to find the changes.
LO has also a built-in compare tool, handy for tracking any change between two versions of the same odt file.
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 01:58 AM   #26
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger64 View Post
LO has also a built-in compare tool, handy for tracking any change between two versions of the same odt file.
Yes. I look forward to using that. Thanks.