Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-04-2017, 03:59 PM   #16
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
I have ToEE as well. I assume you played other RPG classics from the 1998 - 2006 era as well
Oh yeah. I have all of the Black Isle and Troika games. Just for whatever reason, ToEE is my favorite, especially with the Circle of Eight corrections restoring censored elements.

Quote:
While they may run, it's completely possible the graphics will become unusable. I'm now playing Sanitarium, but sometimes I have to refer to a walkthrough because I'm overlooking things on screen. Everything can be an object (possibly), and something that looks like an undefined blob of pixels on my 1920x1080 laptop screen sometimes is an object I require. IT's worse on my 1920x1200 24.1 desktop screen...
I guess. I have to say that I love the old 2.5D shooters (the BUILD games, Outlaws and System Shock) and prefer to play them without hardware acceleration, though I will play them in the highest resolution available to me. I prefer their artistry and hardware acceleration on those old games just makes them look blurry.

Also, I guess there's a difference between a first person shooter and a point-and-click adventure like Sanitarium.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 04:03 PM   #17
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
...Beamdog ported te game to the BG2 engine before fixing that engine to run on newer systems without hacks. The original Baldur's Gate experience is gone. As your character now has capabilities provided by the BG2 engine, but the enemies don't, you're going to become overpowered very fast.
Why not just play the original Baldur's Gate then? Both are available through GOG (I only have the original, not the Beamdog update).
Old 01-04-2017, 04:13 PM   #18
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Why not just play the original Baldur's Gate then? Both are available through GOG (I only have the original, not the Beamdog update).
I play the original. The furthest I've gone is to install the Baldurdash fixes, BG1 Unfinished Business, the Widescreen Mod, and an alternative GUI, to make it run in 800x600, so it scales perfectly to 1600x1200 on my desktop screen.

I hope it keeps working; I've just arrived in Cloakwood. I've been trying to complete BG1 with mods installed for 10 years now, but I gave up. There was always something wrong somewhere, and I don't want to hit a snag (AGAIN) where I can't continue the game.

If I do, I'll give it one more go, and install only the Baldurdash fixes. I've completed the game with them before.

==========

Oh, and GOG and Beamdog have some sort of understanding.

BG1, BG2, and IWD1 originals have been removed from GOG.com for separate sale. You can now only buy them by getting Beamdog's Enhanced versions. They include the originals, but the Enhanced versions are twice as expensive as the originals were.

I find that a *very* sleazy move. This arrangement forces people to spend money on the Beamdog versions even if they don't want them.

Maybe GOG.com arranged it that way with Beamdog. Maybe Beamdog now holds all the rights, even those to the original versions, and they have summoned GOG.com to remove the old versions. I don't know. I just don't like these kinds of practices.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 04:23 PM   #19
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
GOG and Beamdog have some sort of understanding.

BG1, BG2, and IWD1 originals have been removed from GOG.com for separate sale. You can now only buy them by getting Beamdog's Enhanced versions. They include the originals, but the Enhanced versions are twice as expensive as the originals were.

I find that a *very* sleazy move. This arrangement forces people to spend money on the Beamdog versions even if they don't want them.

Maybe GOG.com arranged it that way with Beamdog. Maybe Beamdog now holds all the rights, even those to the original versions, and they have summoned GOG.com to remove the old versions. I don't know. I just don't like these kinds of practices.
Beamdog was founded by one of the owners of BioWare, so I wouldn't be surprised if they had some sort of claim on the rights.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 01-04-2017 at 05:18 PM.
Old 01-04-2017, 04:29 PM   #20
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
If you are somewhat technically inclined, or know someone who is, it's easy enough to setup a NES/SNES emulator, find some ROMs on the internet, and play the games using a €15 controller.
Not techically inclined enough to even understand what you said!

Quote:
I know; using downloaded ROMs isn't really legal if you don't own the physical versions as well, but I doubt anyone will care. This would be a decision you'd have to make for yourself.
I actually have the games packed away; I kept them in case I ever came across a cheap NES at a yard sale.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 06:12 PM   #21
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I wish I could still play some of my old Nintendo games.
I forget who but there is a company that makes both a Nintendo and an Atari console with all the old games. Just don't expect great graphics.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 06:38 PM   #22
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Old games? Try Monopoly, Risk or Sorry. Even farther, try Poker, Chess or Go. Or even a long long time ago, try craps.
Apache
Ah! games I have heard of!
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 06:42 PM   #23
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Risk is available on multiple platforms. There is even a version for the Xbox One.
If you're not playing on the floor in the middle of the a lounge room where the dog can run across the board, you're not playing Risk.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 06:48 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
If you're not playing on the floor in the middle of the a lounge room where the dog can run across the board, you're not playing Risk.
I don't have a lounge room nor a dog. But I could play on the floor on my Xbox One S.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 10:21 PM   #25
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Quote:
Not techically inclined enough to even understand what you said!
As simplified as possible basic explanation:
Emulator:
A piece of software "rebuilding" the console in your computers' memory

ROMs: 1:1 copies of cartridges to a file so it can be accessed by the emulator

Quote:
I actually have the games packed away; I kept them in case I ever came across a cheap NES at a yard sale.
Great, this way having the matching ROM means having a backup file as opposed to a pirated copy
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 06:58 AM   #26
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
Great, this way having the matching ROM means having a backup file as opposed to a pirated copy
In the Netherlands, you're allowed/have the right to extract the contents of a data carrier (CD, DVD, Blu-Ray... and probably also a game ROM) for personal use. How you do this doesn't matter. You could 'extract' the contents by downloading the ROM from the internet. We pay for this by paying extra taxes on data carriers.

This right is complicated by the fact that 'downloading from an evidently illegal source' is now prohibited in the Netherlands, complying with EU guide rules.

So, there's a problem with regard to the law. If you download a ROM from the internet, if it's an 'illegal source', are you providing your own copy/extraction of the physical ROM according to the law that you are allowed to have one, or are you breaking the law that says you can't download from an illegal source?

Hmmm...

Last edited by Katsunami; 01-05-2017 at 07:29 AM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 07:23 AM   #27
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You have two concurring laws.
In dubio pro reo
Old 01-05-2017, 09:19 AM   #28
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
As simplified as possible basic explanation:
Emulator:
A piece of software "rebuilding" the console in your computers' memory

ROMs: 1:1 copies of cartridges to a file so it can be accessed by the emulator
Thanks. I may try this. I'd be happier if Nintendo would simply sell downloads of some of the old games for PC.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 09:39 AM   #29
Freeshadow
temp. out of service

Quote:
Thanks. I may try this. I'd be happier if Nintendo would simply sell downloads of some of the old games for PC.
They do, but only for the follow up consoles.
Old 01-05-2017, 10:12 AM   #30
JuliusBorisov
JuliusBorisov began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:

Oh, and GOG and Beamdog have some sort of understanding.

This was the decision made by the rightholder, Wizards of the Coast.

Greg Tito, Communications Director for Dungeons & Dragons, said at that time: "We're proud to recognize their (Beamdog's) excellent work in offering the best possible experience and support for these legendary titles. We want these to become the definitive editions – featuring both the enhanced and classic versions of the games."

https://www.gog.com/news/definitive_...164c1295401b71
JuliusBorisov is offline   Reply With Quote