Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-28-2013, 06:14 AM   #16
Lyn2012
Addict
Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPhone 8, iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
Unless I misunderstand you, this info is there: if you tap the screen in the centre, at the bottom left corner you will see the percentage of book read; touch that number, and a menu will pop up with time remaining in the chapter, time of next chapter, and a graph of the various chapters in the book.
Only for kepubs though. I use sideloaded epubs as I don't like the wasted screen space when using kepubs.
Lyn2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:10 AM   #17
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
@davidfor, @Lyn2012, @AnemicOak apologies as I had missed that (I am still on 2.6.2 on my Mini)
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:51 AM   #18
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
As of firmware 2.9.0, the in book stats are only there for purchased kepubs. No sideloaded book has them.
And there's the reason I don't upgrade....I'll keep my Glo on 2.6.1.

I wonder if an Aura can run older firmware such as 2.6.1?
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:25 AM   #19
Lyn2012
Addict
Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPhone 8, iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post

Good question - but I'm not volunteering my Aura as the guinea pig!
Lyn2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 02:46 PM   #20
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post

I wouldn't advise going back to any firmware version before 2.8.0 on the Aura. From various posts over the years, attempting to load a firmware version older than the factory reset version is one of the best ways to turn your ereader into a paperweight.

If you have opened your Aura and taken an image, it might be fun to try though since several firmware versions (2.6.2 for example) seem to include the Aura's files in the upgrades/ntx508 folder.

Unfortunately (?), I can't try this experiment as the Aura I received has been "borrowed" by my wife.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 03:05 PM   #21
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I wasn't sure that the Aura had an SD card in it....
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 03:09 PM   #22
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I wasn't sure that the Aura had an SD card in it....
It doesn't AFAIK.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 03:24 PM   #23
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So that will make any advice on taking an image of the f/w to allow simplified recovery rather moot.
Old 10-28-2013, 03:44 PM   #24
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I wouldn't advise going back to any firmware version before 2.8.0 on the Aura.
Thank you, that is good to know.

I'd still like to get one at some point. Maybe.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:57 PM   #25
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
It doesn't AFAIK.
The Auro does have an Sd card slot.
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:34 PM   #26
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

We're talking about the INTERNAL storage; not the external SD card slot.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:13 PM   #27
gavinjb
Connoisseur
gavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle
Thanks for all the comments, had a play with the new Aura 2013 the other day and must say I like it, but what is making the decision hard is the Kobo Store.

I wrote a script the other day to extract all the Authors from my books and when I looked on the Kobo Store over 50% of them were not available (some only on Kindle, a few on Nook as well)

The other issue is after looking at my books I realised I do have a fair amount that I have brought from other stores (or documents of my own I have converted to mobi) and I would really miss Kindles syncing of documents you email to your device.

With this in mind I am struggling to decide if I am going to stay with the kindle or move to Kobo.

with the first point of the store I did see an article about a new book store coming soon which is meant to be big (see link below), has anyone heard anything about this.

http://goodereader.com/blog/electron...ike-for-ebooks
gavinjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 04:00 PM   #28
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinjb View Post
I wrote a script the other day
if you are happy to hack away, you may want to have a good look at the developer's corned. Among other things there is a hack to sync with google drive - I don't know much about it as I have a Mini and the hack works for devices with an external SD card, plus I think in the same thread it is also discussed how to email to your device, maybe worth thinking about it if it helps you decide.

On the link, it goes to an article, but I did not understand what new ebook store you are referring to
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 06:32 AM   #29
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinjb View Post
The other issue is after looking at my books I realised I do have a fair amount that I have brought from other stores (or documents of my own I have converted to mobi) and I would really miss Kindles syncing of documents you email to your device.
Well, that depends if you upload your ebooks in bulk or one at a time. And if you want to put a dozen ebooks a week on your ereader that may become tedious.
Also note that the Kobo connection with Calibre is amazingly good thanks to all the plugins developed.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 05:40 AM   #30
neil74
Connoisseur
neil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to behold

Device: Kobo aura
The huge footer at the bottom is starting to grate with me now, basically one thing you need to consider is that you cannot fit as much on a page as you can with the kindle (although adjusting the margins does help)

Having to plug the thing in (vs. being able to email a book on the kindle) is also a pain.

Pocket is nice though and I still prefer the interface and general configurability. Please Kobo do something about these huge footers they are so annoying!
neil74 is offline   Reply With Quote