Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-05-2013, 10:28 AM   #31
Dapostrophus
Dapostrophus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dapostrophus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dapostrophus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dapostrophus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dapostrophus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dapostrophus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dapostrophus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dapostrophus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dapostrophus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dapostrophus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dapostrophus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet 16GB
Thank You

Thank you for taking the time to reply. That's all good information. I will try disabling encryption tonight, but I have to go to work now. Already using a stable build, not a nightly. However, I think I might try another version just in case, now that I have the process down. I'll let you know if disabling encryption works. Thanks again.
Dapostrophus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:50 PM   #32
livramax
Addict
livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Aura HD, Galaxy Note 8, Fire HD10, Galaxy S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dapostrophus View Post
I did this, and everything seems to work wonderfully, with one very big exception:

I can't connect to any Wifi networks. It will say Obtaining IP Address for a long time and then try connecting again over and over. I went into the Advanced Wifi settings and found the Wi-fi Region Code set to Europe. I change it to United States, and it keeps going back to Europe. Any way to fix this?
Which particular CM10.x build are you using?

Also, did you do a "wipe data/factory reset" while you were in CWM/TWRP Recovery?
livramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:04 AM   #33
Matei566
Matei566 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matei566 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matei566 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matei566 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matei566 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matei566 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matei566 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matei566 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matei566 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matei566 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matei566 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook HD
I made an account just to ask this, please bear with me as this is the first time I've tried anything like this and my knowledge is very limited. Every step makes sense to me except the first one. I cant seem to get my SD cart to format properly. I am on a Mac which I think is part of the problem (no Minitool Partition). I tried to figure out how to do it using Terminal to no avail. I used the standard Disk Utility on Mac and it just creates a fat32 but it clearly isnt right; when I copy the files on per the instructions and plug in the Nook just boots normally. I have managed to boot into CWM but never Cyanoboot. Thanks for any help that you can offer.
Matei566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:23 AM   #34
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
To boot from sd-card in general: Power down, insert powered USB cable (connected top charger)
To boot into internal Cyanoboot: Try pressing and holding the "n" key right after you turn device on (from completely powered down)

I have absolutely no idea if this could be any help for you or not, but I have a really easy "half-cheating" way to do it that I describe under "C" in this post. I do not own a Mac though, so maybe nothing of this can be used there. But no harm in looking, I guess:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2081981
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:30 PM   #35
livramax
Addict
livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matei566 View Post
I made an account just to ask this, please bear with me as this is the first time I've tried anything like this and my knowledge is very limited. Every step makes sense to me except the first one. I cant seem to get my SD cart to format properly.
I have managed to boot into CWM but never Cyanoboot. Thanks for any help that you can offer.
I am puzzled that you were able to "boot into CWM" without going past Cyanoboot.

Also, I noticed your profile lists Nook HD as your device -- just to be clear the process described in my original post of this thread is for the Nook Tablet, not the Nook HD/HD+. You can search the XDA HD/HD+ forums for comparable process/tools that are applicable for the Nook HD/HD+.

On the other hand if your device in question is indeed a Nook Tablet, what you might try to do in order to bypass the formatting process of step #1 is to download and burn the pre-made SD image from, e.g., http://iamafanof.wordpress.com/2012/...r-nook-tablet/ and then replace any ROM and gapps files on the boot partition with the version of ROM and gapps files intended for internal installation.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:02 PM   #36
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
This ROM for the Nook Tablet is pretty good.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:55 PM   #37
Dapostrophus
Dapostrophus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dapostrophus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dapostrophus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dapostrophus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dapostrophus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dapostrophus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dapostrophus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dapostrophus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dapostrophus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dapostrophus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dapostrophus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet 16GB
I am dumb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by livramax View Post
Which particular CM10.x build are you using?

Also, did you do a "wipe data/factory reset" while you were in CWM/TWRP Recovery?
I installed the wrong one because I am dumb. Installed the latest one, and it is absolutely AMAZING. Thanks for your time.
Dapostrophus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:18 PM   #38
msythang
msythang began at the beginning.

Device: Nook 16g
I am such anewbie goob

I tried all your steps and am having No success. I am so sorry to be a bother. I get to the boot menu and I only see two options:

Boot Device (Options - Emmc or SD)
Boot Mode (Options - Normal, Recovery, Alternate)

I have tried different combos, hit boot now and the Nook hangs while showing One Moment.

I feel so "Gilligan" Please

Thanks
msythang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:39 PM   #39
livramax
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by msythang View Post
I tried all your steps and am having No success. I am so sorry to be a bother. I get to the boot menu and I only see two options:

Boot Device (Options - Emmc or SD)
Boot Mode (Options - Normal, Recovery, Alternate)

I have tried different combos, hit boot now and the Nook hangs while showing One Moment.

I feel so "Gilligan" Please

Thanks
Did you extract cwm_6012_sd.img from CM9-10_CWM_v6.0.1.2_8-16gb_tools_sdcard.zip and rename it to recovery.img before copying it to the /boot partition of the SD card?

Also, I'd suggest taking a look at http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...7&postcount=31 for more info/pointers -- especially w.r.t. prudent measures you can take in flashing a ROM internally.
Old 07-06-2013, 04:31 PM   #40
livramax
Addict

Installing CM10.1 Internally on Nook Tablet

I've been running CM10.1 build by XDA Developer Succulent version 06/29 on SD card since its release a weekago, and its reliable/stable performance has crossed the threshold for me to finally take the plunge and install it internally on emmc (updating the tablet from Succulent’s CM10.0 build dated 12.31).

FWIW, here the process I used to install CM10 internally on my 16GB Nook Tablet (i.e., on its emmc) (caveat emptor: adopt/follow it at your own risk).
  1. Using a disk partition tool (such as MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition) create on SD card a Primary FAT32 partition, and set the partition ID type for the partition to 0x0C FAT32 LBA and set its Active flag. Once this is done, the partition should appear as a (read/write accessible) drive under Windows. If you are going to use this card for backing up your NT, keep in mind that each backup will require at least 600MB (for a barebone stock or CM config) and size the partition accordingly.
  2. Obtain and copy to the SD card the following files:
    1. MLO, u-boot.bin, and flashing_boot.img in boot.zip obtained from http://goo.im/devs/succulent/acclaim
    2. either one of the two recovery program image files: cwm_6.0.2.8_acclaim_recovery_sdcard.img (ClockworkMod Recovery (aka CWM)), or twrp_2.4.3.0_acclaim_recovery_sdcard.img (TeamWin Recovery Project (aka TWRP)) from http://goo.im/devs/succulent/acclaim/recovery , rename it to recovery.img. If you want to try out (or use) both, name your alternate choice altboot.img.
    3. the file cm_acclaim_10.1.0_29JUN2013_HD.zip from http://iamafanof.wordpress.com/2013/...k-tablet-0218/
    4. the file gapps-jb-20130301-signed.zip from http://iamafanof.wordpress.com/2013/...k-tablet-0218/
  3. Put the SD card into the NT, and boot from its power off by inserting a powered USB cable. Press and hold the N button as soon as CyanoBoot comes up to get the boot menu to display.
  4. Select either SDC Recovery (or Alternate Boot depending on which recovery tool you want to use).
  5. Select Backup to backup your current NT config (/boot, /recovery, /system, and /data). Before proceeding to next step, see note (ii) near the end of this post.
  6. Select Wipe data & factory reset.
  7. Select install zip from SD card and install cm10 zip file.
  8. Select install zip from SD card and install gapps zip file.
  9. Select power of and remove SD card from NT and power NT on again using the power button (alternatively you can just remove SD card and select reboot).

Once the NT boots up, set up the wifi connectivity and your google account info. If you had previously used Google backup service your apps will be auto-downloaded (but their settings will not be auto-restored)

A few additional points worth noting:
  1. Installing CM10 ROM and gapps will override your NT's BN-provided boot, recovery, ROM, and Apps, so make sure that you backup all this stuff using backup process in step #5 above, safekeep the backup data on your PC/Laptop and better yet archive it on CD/DVD. Your media files in the NT media partition BN allocates for user should be intact.
  2. To play it safe you should do the above in 2 phases: steps 1 through 5, then exit recovery and remove and mount SD card on PC to verify that backup data got newly created; then insert SD card and continue steps 6 through 9.
  3. CWM and TWRP use different backup archive formats, so keep this in mind if you decide to switch. Furthermore, CWM has changed its archive format going from release 5.x to 6.x, so I think it would be prudent to save a copy of the recovery program together with the backup data it generated. (FWIW I prefer the tar/zip compatible backup data structure TWRP uses (which CWM 5.x had also used) over the BLOb structure which CWM 6.x use -- but YMMV).
  4. To restore from backup data, boot into SD card and select from boot menu the same recovery program that was used to create the backup data, then select the particular backup dataset (indexed by date/time) you want to reinstall on your NT.
  5. I would advise against blindly using other functions of the CWM and TWRP without looking up info and researching to understand what they really do.
  6. See my post at http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...7&postcount=31 for more "Info, Pointers, and Tips for Risk Mitigation in Rooting and Custom-ROM Flashing".