Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-23-2012, 02:57 PM   #796
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
EDIT: That said, here's a nerfed JB that doesn't sleep. (There's absolutely no safety checks anymore, don't use this on anything other than a K5 [well, not that you can in this form, but, still]).
Great filename!
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:01 PM   #797
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaznelson View Post
It alive!!!

NiLuJe
First I have not specified the necessary commands in runme.sh - only the test.
And time up to YKNR differs at each broken loading - imho, sleep strongly reduced probability of start runme.sh...

Many thanks for the fast help!
All of you the greatest experts on Kindle!!!
Good to see that you managed to solve it.

Just for reference, could you please post the exact runme.sh that you used? It's not entirely understandable from your post if your original version worked, or if you had to adapt it some more.

You are (to my knowledge) the first person who debricked a "Your Kindle Needs Repair" Paperwhite, so this is invaluable information for the many, many other people who will undoubtedly come in the future with similar problems.
Old 10-23-2012, 03:13 PM   #798
kaznelson
Old Kaz
kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Era
ixtab
You're right.

Worked runme.sh:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
mntroot rw
rm -f /var/local/upstart/*.restarts
mv -f /mnt/us/AdManager.jar /opt/amazon/ebook/lib/
chmod 0664 /opt/amazon/ebook/lib/AdManager.jar
mntroot ro
Original AdManager.jar has taken from a backup, for greater reliability...
kaznelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:56 PM   #799
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@ixtab: I'm running on fumes here, it made me smile in a giddy/exhausted/drunk fashion . I fear the commit message is even worse ^^.

@kaznelson: Awesome! Glad to see that it worked .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:28 PM   #800
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
@kaznelson: I added your success report to the "success reports" list. Using a custom runme.sh script is the OLD way of debricking, before we started recommending simple debricking by simply flashing uncorrupted firmware images.

It is great to have the "old debricking method" working here, but I think we still need to find out how to get USB Downloader mode working. Or at least, we need a way to make using runme.sh more noob-friendly. Thanks guys!
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:31 PM   #801
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@ixtab: I'm running on fumes here, it made me smile in a giddy/exhausted/drunk fashion . I fear the commit message is even worse ^^.

@kaznelson: Awesome! Glad to see that it worked .
Soûl, ou défoncé? En tout cas, pété - Bravo!!!

(Et moi, je suis jaloux maintenant... attends, je vais chercher une canette... la voilà) Ben, à la tienne!

Spoiler:

Not the most hilarious video ever, but still amusing... youtube really contains something for anything that you could ever search for (like, errm... "ninja parody")

Old 10-23-2012, 04:46 PM   #802
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
@kaznelson: I added your success report to the "success reports" list. Using a custom runme.sh script is the OLD way of debricking, before we started recommending simple debricking by simply flashing uncorrupted firmware images.

It is great to have the "old debricking method" working here, but I think we still need to find out how to get USB Downloader mode working. Or at least, we need a way to make using runme.sh more noob-friendly. Thanks guys!
Well... yeah, runme.sh was actually the first method discovered, but it required/requires at least a half-way working system to function.

The USB downloader method is much more powerful (and preferrable, of course), but at this time we simply don't know how to make the PW hardware enter that mode. If anybody figures out a hardware "key combination" that makes the PW show up as 15A2:0052 (or even as another unsupported device), that'll be a major breakthrough for PW debricking.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:13 PM   #803
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
It is great to have the "old debricking method" working here, but I think we still need to find out how to get USB Downloader mode working.
I've just remembered that I've found how to enable USB downloader mode on KT while tinkering with it in hopeless tries to debrick after changing localization-related file in a way that fail some program and, therefore, some upstart job and, therefore, whole boot process. Pressing that single button in reboot moment was just an incidental idea.

Then I've been rescued by ixtab with his just discovered data.tar.gz-exploit. And my further investigation of USB downloader mode was pretty much stalled.

Moral: desperation is the mother of discovery. Hail to the king Blind Chance!
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:16 PM   #804
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

But USB Downloader mode entered from a failed boot does not communicate with USB Downloader apps. You really need to use the magic key, in my experience. If you really did discover a useful way to get there without the magic key, please enlighten me.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:21 PM   #805
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Well... yeah, runme.sh was actually the first method discovered, but it required/requires at least a half-way working system to function.

The USB downloader method is much more powerful (and preferrable, of course), but at this time we simply don't know how to make the PW hardware enter that mode. If anybody figures out a hardware "key combination" that makes the PW show up as 15A2:0052 (or even as another unsupported device), that'll be a major breakthrough for PW debricking.
USB Downloader mode sure simplified things when the kindle was "too bricked" for runme.sh script debricking which required opening the kindle and using its internal serial port. In fact, simple debricking is so simple that it is now used to do a "full factory reset" without needing to uninstall a pile of hacks. Yes, we need that for the PW too.

I sure hope we do not need to remove the cover of a PW to activate USB Downloader mode.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:33 PM   #806
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka View Post
Pressing that single button in reboot moment was just an incidental idea.
Quote:
But USB Downloader mode entered from a failed boot does not communicate with USB Downloader apps. You really need to use the magic key, in my experience. If you really did discover a useful way to get there without the magic key, please enlighten me.
I was speaking about "Home" button (which is the single button that is non-pressed in reboot moment by default). And "failed boot" was just a failed init sequence represented by a stuck image of boy under tree. So I've rebooted many times after seeing that image and once decided to press Home button also just before a moment of depressing power button (i.e. "reboot moment").

You've misunderstood me. No enlightenments here, sorry
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:38 AM   #807
geekmaster

The pastebin now has a mirror for the 3.4+jb+keys main rootfs. Now it is a single file instead of a multi-part zip file, and not subject to the 10 downloads per week limit imposed by mediafire.

Also, I figured out how to edit the snipurl (by logging in instead of anonymous posting). The http://snipurl.com/debrick link points to an identical mirror copy of the pastebin. Mirrors are good.

So, when debricking a K3, you can flash directly to the latest firmware with jailbreak and developer keys pre-installed.

EDIT: I also removed the old obsolete pastebin mirrors, to minimize confusion.

Enjoy!

Last edited by geekmaster; 10-24-2012 at 09:43 AM.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:23 PM   #808
mand
Zealot
mand began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 7th gen; Kindle Keyboard; iRex iLiad
Question

Anyone, help?
Please?
I really can't afford £150 for a new K3.

Unless someone has replied - but if so, I haven't understood the reply as relating to my question...

Thank you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mand View Post
Me again.https://www2.mobileread.com/i/smilies/frown.gif

I have now used 7-Zip (all ok but haven't checked yet) but after uninstalling and reinstalling ATK, still it's telling me no USB detected. During install I did nothing differently but this time it asked me to confirm I wanted half a dozen drivers installed, had to say yes to each, which gave me hope that the drivers were installing... but no.

Also during install, a DOS-look window came up (years since I've seen that) and told me I had to have administrator privileges to install these drivers, which surely is irrelevant as (a) I'm the only user and have full privileges (always sounds so posh, like the members' enclosure), and (b) ATK did install. ??

Or should the kindle be connected before running ATK? In the debrick guide, plugging it comes next, not before.

Aaagh...
ps I have got 32bit Win7. The noob debrick gives no other suggestions for getting the USB drivers to work.
mand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:47 PM   #809
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by mand View Post
Anyone, help?
Please?
I really can't afford £150 for a new K3.

Unless someone has replied - but if so, I haven't understood the reply as relating to my question...

Thank you...

ps I have got 32bit Win7. The noob debrick gives no other suggestions for getting the USB drivers to work.
See if you can find the answer in this thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=186076

The author of the guide should be subscribed to that thread.
If you don't find the answer then post your question there about how get the driver to install.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 05:00 PM   #810
mand
Zealot
mand began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 7th gen; Kindle Keyboard; iRex iLiad
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
See if you can find the answer in this thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=186076

The author of the guide should be subscribed to that thread.
If you don't find the answer then post your question there about how get the driver to install.

:

I was *this* close to giving up and buying a new Kindle.
But the comatose is returned!

And it's not even going slow as it was for weeks leading up to this.
I couldn't have wifi on without losing it on the first or second page turn.

THANK YOU.

ps A couple of changes to the wiki page - but I can't do it (no-brain strikes...) so if someone else has the chance:
- to swap steps 5 and 4
- to swap steps 9 and 10 (because step 10 resets first box of operation settings section to all zeroes)
- maybe mention the right-click on ATK and select 'Run as administrator'; I thought it meant being able to change user passwords etc in Windows, believed I was unlimited. Bright enough, but zero experience. (If it had been a dead language on the other hand...)
mand is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
debricking