Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-08-2012, 10:45 AM   #1
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
HIGH PW lighting REQUIRED for good reading

I've read all the complaints here about Paperwhite defects running from light specks, to clouds and colored lines on the units.

I believe almost all the "defects" are ILLUSIONS caused by light reflections between the various layers of the PW screen. These "defects" have probably caused far too many returns to Amazon.

These illusions are caused by using the PW at LED low light levels to "conserve" battery use. That is a huge mistake. For example, LED flashlights have almost unlimited lifetimes for their LED elements. Regular flashlight bulbs have much shorter lives. Plus, those LED flashlights use very little power from their batteries. I have four of them being used with NIMH rechargeable batteries which have yet to be recharged after SIX YEARS of use.

Keeping the PW light at the default of 22 will end almost all the illusionary defects. If a defect still bothers the user, just turn up the LED light to the maximum of 24. That is the probable level Amazon used to make their promotional pictures and videos.

In low light environments it is unnecessary to turn down the LED light level. Those LEDS are using REFLECTIVE light which does not have the same effect as direct light similar to LCD use in the Kindle Fires which do require adjusting light levels to the environment for comfortable viewing.

One can replicate these PW screen illusions by taking several panes of glass and placing them side by side. Viewing through them will produce all kinds of illusions. Using a camera on a multi-layer glass screen will also produce the illusions especially if the lens is adjusted to higher closeups.

Illusions like this are very common in deserts where multiple layers of sand in bright sunlight cause all kinds of light variations. In deep snow areas it also happens as the multiple layers of snow cause the same effect.

Last edited by sirmaru; 10-08-2012 at 10:52 AM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:08 AM   #2
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
22 is uncomfortably bright for me, unless I'm in a bright room or outdoors, in which case the light doesn't much come into play.

I keep it around 15. For me, I want a more print like experience, not a more LCD like experience. I know it's front lit (well, more parallel lit, really), not back lit, but when it's that bright, it feels like an LCD.

Edit: just tried max light again as you suggested. Now I remember the other reason I don't do that: the blobs are even more noticeable. I have a stark white screen with teal and plum blobs in the middle. It's kinda artistic, actually

Last edited by Barty; 10-08-2012 at 11:33 AM.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:11 AM   #3
jswinden
Nameless Being

On my PW running the light at level 20 or above even in a well lit room makes the screen way too bright. It seems like many people are using a mid-level between 10 to 16 for well lit rooms. If yours requires level 22 it could just be your eyes or you might have a PW with a dimmer light than most.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:14 AM   #4
Trauma Doll
Addict
Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Gave up on PW. Using Kindle Keyboard.
My PW looks like this:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61sXC7P7cJL.jpg

A higher backlight level makes it worse.

Anyone who thinks the above unit does not have a problem should be happy contenting themselves with their 'perfect' units and worry less about convincing those of us with legit problems that we're hallucinating, or "doing it wrong".
Trauma Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:28 AM   #5
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Some units are definitely NOT OK. And this is not a collective hallucination.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:29 AM   #6
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trauma Doll View Post
My PW looks like this:

Anyone who thinks the above unit does not have a problem should be happy contenting themselves with their 'perfect' units and worry less about convincing those of us with legit problems that we're hallucinating, or "doing it wrong".
@Trauma Doll - I agree. My PW looks identical to yours and only becomes worse/more pronounced as the brightness increases.

Last edited by Skydog; 10-08-2012 at 11:33 AM.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:13 PM   #7
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Illusion versus hallucination

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
Some units are definitely NOT OK. And this is not a collective hallucination.
According to wikipedia: "The term illusion refers to a specific form of sensory distortion. Unlike a hallucination, which is a distortion in the absence of a stimulus, an illusion describes a misinterpretation of a true sensation."

Thus, illusions can be shared by a group in the desert at twilight. Hallucinations are all in one person's mind. Illusions can even be PHOTOGRAPHED as was the case in the mass "flying saucer" viewings AND photographs.

I still think almost all these defects, even when photographed, are ILLUSIONS.

Turn the PW light up to 22 or 24 and leave it there for a few days. You will adjust to the higher light level and the "defects" will probably disappear. Leaving it high for just a moment will NOT have the proper effect.

The "white" screen on the PW at high PW light levels is also an illusion but benefits the reading experience.

By the way, the LED light is directed down to the bottom layers from the top layer. It does not project upwards to the user like an LCD screen. It is like having a built in lamp reflecting light off the fonts and background screen. The PW light is NOT a backlight. It is a down facing FRONT light.

Also, leave Page Refresh on all the time to prevent the ghosting illusion.

How we "feel" with the brighter light should be ignored at the beginning. One's eyes will adjust to the new light level and become comfortable in a few days.

Last edited by sirmaru; 10-08-2012 at 12:24 PM.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:22 PM   #8
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
In low light environments it is unnecessary to turn down the LED light level. Those LEDS are using REFLECTIVE light which does not have the same effect as direct light similar to LCD use in the Kindle Fires which do require adjusting light levels to the environment for comfortable viewing.
That just doesn't make sense.
If you are reading a night in a dark room, you will want to turn the light down, or it will be uncomfortably bright. There are no such thing as REFLECTIVE photons.

Quote:
By the way, the LED light is directed down to the bottom layers from the top layer. It does not project upwards to the user like an LCD screen. It is like having a built in lamp reflecting light off the fonts and background screen. The PW light is NOT a backlight. It is a down facing FRONT light.
So what?
If you can see it, then photons are entering your eyes.

Last edited by murraypaul; 10-08-2012 at 12:24 PM.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:27 PM   #9
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
@Trauma Doll - I agree. My PW looks identical to yours and only becomes worse/more pronounced as the brightness increases.
I agree as well. It's the same for mine. Any issues become more pronounced the higher the light is set. Also, putting the issues aside, the very high light settings are uncomfortably bright for me to read with in general.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:33 PM   #10
sirmaru
Wizard

In another thread JSWINDEN posted pictures of his replacement PW at his comfortable low light level. I still saw plenty of defects in his REPLACEMENT.

When you folks get your replacements, we will finally know what is really happening. If the defects are still photographable, then either Amazon has a huge QC problem or they have injected a mass negative illusion on their unsuspecting customers.

If you still see defects on the replacement, then you may want to exchange your PW's for a Kindle Fire HD 7". That model uses LCD screens where the light can be dimmed without any adverse illusory effects.

I also ordered a Kindle Fire HD 7" 32 Gb which is expected to be delivered on Oct 25.

I use my Kindle Fire 1st Gen with the light dimmed all the way down. Its great but still shows light reflections if any overhead light source shines directly on it. Its useless in bright sunlight due to heavy glare even with the anti-glare screen.

My PW works for me just fine in bright sunlight and in dark rooms with my PW light setting always set at 22. Glare is not a problem with that unit.

Frankly, for just reading eBooks I much prefer my PW at light setting 22 over the Fire. I use the Fire for Android Apps, music and videos. I use it to read eBooks at my desk at night since the Marware custom cover for it opens to a great desk stand. The PW has no desk stand like that.

Last edited by sirmaru; 10-08-2012 at 12:44 PM.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:47 PM   #11
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
This is still not about what YOU prefer. I have tried to explain this before, to no avail it seems.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:32 PM   #12
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trauma Doll View Post
My PW looks like this:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61sXC7P7cJL.jpg

Yeah I got angry and some posters early last week when they were acting like this was an Apple forum and trying to say we were imagining the defects! Bleeping ##%#^@!

I would definitely get a replacement on yours, it looks as bad as my first one did.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:37 PM   #13
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Wow, what a surreal thread.
Why not suggest people just poke themselves in the eyes with sharp sticks?
"Pain and eye watering will prevent the user from noticing any problems with the screen".
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:43 PM   #14
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
This is still not about what YOU prefer.
Ditto.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:47 PM   #15
7hir7een
Reader of Books
7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Basic (11th gen)
Some people cannot read in the dark with the equivalent of a flashlight shining in their eyes without severe discomfort and headaches. If I was going to read in an extremely bright room (the only way having the light turned up this far could ever come close to comfortable to me), I wouldn't need a front light. Thus, I wouldn't have any use for the Paperwhite. My interest in lit e-ink readers is to read at night in the dark. I think you've set up a paradox with your suggestions. What use is a light in this case?
7hir7een is offline   Reply With Quote