Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 12-30-2011, 10:07 AM   #1
Backi
Connoisseur
Backi has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: PB912 Matt White
Onyx Boox M92 - Issues with Firmware v1.7 20111228 (and maybe v1.6)

I updated to firmware v1.7. Now I exeprience some issues in (only tested) PDF files:
  1. Broken navigation in "Single Page" layout
    When I choose zoom level "Hide Margins" the layout jumps to "Scroll Pages". In the previous v1.6 20111213 I could read single pages with hidden margins.
    When I then choose "Single Page", it looks like before, but I can turn pages only with the stylus! Pushing the previous/next button or using the joystick only reloads the current page.
    The same issues arise with zoom levels other than "Fit Page" (where "Single Page" works).
  2. (Status/Progress bar disappeared.) Update set "Full Screen" for all books.

Can I get the old firmware v1.6, until the bugs are fixed in v1.7?

What was also weird: After updating the device should restart, but mine didn't finish restarting. After the progress bar got full, it stuck there on dimmed start-up screen. After turning it on, the about site stated correctly firmware 1.7 20111228.

Last edited by Backi; 01-01-2012 at 05:24 PM.
Backi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 01:54 PM   #2
psv
Connoisseur
psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, remarkable
I confirm all this issues, except that my status bar did not disappear.
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 03:05 PM   #3
Backi
Connoisseur
Backi has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Quote:
Originally Posted by psv View Post
I confirm all this issues, except that my status bar did not disappear.
I just discovered, that the update set "Full Screen" for all books. So the bar was invisible.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:13 PM   #4
a.a.k
Enthusiast
a.a.k began at the beginning.

Device: boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backi View Post
I just discovered, that the update set "Full Screen" for all books. So the bar was invisible.
so , should we wait and not upgrade to the new FW 1.7??
a.a.k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 07:21 AM   #5
vsh1ft
vsh1ft began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx M92
I have tried to read a manga book in jpg format. There is a list of 200 jpg files. The issue is,that M92 doesn`t sort numbers in correct sequence. They are displayed in this order: 1,10,100 .... 179,18,180,181....
vsh1ft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 08:17 AM   #6
medvedev
Connoisseur
medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsh1ft View Post
I have tried to read a manga book in jpg format. There is a list of 200 jpg files. The issue is,that M92 doesn`t sort numbers in correct sequence. They are displayed in this order: 1,10,100 .... 179,18,180,181....
Just try to rename the files to 001, 002, 003
There exist some programs which can make this automatically e.g. LupasRename

@Backi
Thank You for that review! I will wait for the next version.

Are there any positive things to say about the new Version 1.7? Any improvements? Ne features?
medvedev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 08:49 AM   #7
Backi
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by medvedev View Post
Are there any positive things to say about the new Version 1.7? Any improvements? Ne features?
That's why I asked for a changelog. As Booxtor said: missing Websites in the Website directory was fixed.

The only one feature, I dicovered so far, is a new zooming option called "Zoom by two points". It's like "Selection Zoom" with the difference, that instead of drawing a bounding box you specify its two corners.

I don't remember how it was called, but I think, they renamed "Merge Annotations" in "Merge Sketch" - maybe to clarify, that annotations/marks aren't merged.

Last edited by Backi; 12-31-2011 at 08:54 AM.
Old 12-31-2011, 05:51 PM   #8
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backi View Post

The only one feature, I discovered so far, is a new zooming option called "Zoom by two points". It's like "Selection Zoom" with the difference, that instead of drawing a bounding box you specify its two corners.
interesting change. i suspect it is a global onyx firmware shift to accommodate the IR display in the i62 and future devices
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 07:26 AM   #9
Backi
Connoisseur

Issue Nr. 3

Issue Nr. 3 (that was also in v1.6): Status bar of EPUBs:

Everytime I open an EPUB eBook (EDIT: there are some without this issue) the status bar looks incorrectly laid out:

After entering and exiting full screen it looks ok:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01.JPG
Views:	4211
Size:	7.8 KB
ID:	80639   Click image for larger version

Name:	02.JPG
Views:	4163
Size:	7.4 KB
ID:	80640  

Last edited by Backi; 01-01-2012 at 07:52 AM.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:57 AM   #10
Schmitti
Enthusiast
Schmitti began at the beginning.

The status bar bug also happens with some PDFs on my M92 (v1.6 firmware).
Schmitti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 12:54 PM   #11
Backi
Connoisseur

Issue 4: Search dialog and screen rotation

Issue 4: Search dialog and screen rotation (firmware 1.6-1.7)

As abpos mentioned, the search dialog is misplaced, if one changes the screen rotation in an opened book about 90°, e.g. open book with portrait mode and then rotate to landscape.

Surprisingly, the dictionary dialog has no such issue.

Some images:
  • Opened in landscape mode: Image. That's what it should look like.
  • Opened in portrait mode and changed to landscape mode: Image. It hangs somewhere at the bottom.
  • Opened in landscape mode and rotated to portrait mode: Image. It hangs in the middle.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	s01.JPG
Views:	1053
Size:	10.8 KB
ID:	80651   Click image for larger version

Name:	s02.JPG
Views:	996
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	80652   Click image for larger version

Name:	s03.JPG
Views:	1167
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	80653  

Last edited by Backi; 01-01-2012 at 02:20 PM.
Old 01-01-2012, 01:05 PM   #12
Backi
Connoisseur

Issue 5: Dictionary dialog

Issue 5: Dictionary dialog (firmware 1.6-1.7)

In the dictionary dialog initially the button "Explanation" (second button) is selected:

Clicking on the first button "Retrieve Words" with the stylus leads to rendering artifacts and/because? somehow both buttons are selected:

Using the joystick has no artifacts and only the intended button is activated:

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	d01.JPG
Views:	4120
Size:	6.6 KB
ID:	80654   Click image for larger version

Name:	d02.JPG
Views:	4175
Size:	7.4 KB
ID:	80655   Click image for larger version

Name:	d03.JPG
Views:	4153
Size:	6.9 KB
ID:	80656  

Last edited by Backi; 01-01-2012 at 02:20 PM.
Old 01-01-2012, 01:51 PM   #13
FDD
Connoisseur
FDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheese

Anybody willing to backup older firmware?

Hello everybody! I've been lurking for quite a long time now and I really like this forum. Sooo, I finally made up my mind and ordered an M92. Being a bit of a techie I wondered if anybody is willing to make a backup of the v1.6 firmware, just in case somebody finds some really nasty bug in the new one and Onyx doesn't fix it, so it would be possible to rollback.
FDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 02:19 PM   #14
Backi
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDD View Post
I wondered if anybody is willing to make a backup of the v1.6 firmware, just in case somebody finds some really nasty bug in the new one and Onyx doesn't fix it, so it would be possible to rollback.
Tomorrow Booxtor will post a link to v1.6: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=262
Old 01-01-2012, 02:57 PM   #15
Backi
Connoisseur

Issue 6: Clearing scribble boundaries

Issue 6: Clearing scribble boundaries (firmware 1.6?-1.7)

I drew as close to the scribble boundaries as possible: image. You can see, that at the top and at the bottom the boundaries are rather big.

Turning or inserting a new page clears the screen. But it seems, that on the left and right sides one can draw a bit over the boundaries so that the pixels are not cleared there and are still visible: image.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	01.JPG
Views:	1163
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	80665   Click image for larger version

Name:	02.JPG
Views:	1073
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	80666  

Last edited by Backi; 01-01-2012 at 03:18 PM.