Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-05-2024, 12:23 PM   #1
7hir7een
Reader of Books
7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Basic (11th gen)
Smile Drawing with stylus and sideloaded books

I'm getting excited about the upcoming color Libra device, and I had a question for the Sage/Elipsa owners out there. Do the drawing on the page features work with sideloaded epubs? I have a massive collection of ebooks and I'm hoping I don't have to convert them to kepub to use that feature.

I tried googling the answer but I couldn't find it, and I've had no answers on Reddit, so I appreciate any help!
7hir7een is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 07:02 PM   #2
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7hir7een View Post
I'm getting excited about the upcoming color Libra device, and I had a question for the Sage/Elipsa owners out there. Do the drawing on the page features work with sideloaded epubs? I have a massive collection of ebooks and I'm hoping I don't have to convert them to kepub to use that feature.

I tried googling the answer but I couldn't find it, and I've had no answers on Reddit, so I appreciate any help!
Well, I haven't side-loaded via cable from PC in an age, but it certainly works with epubs I've dropped on the device through Dropbox integration, so I would assume it would work with any side-loaded epub.

I just drew an awful looking picture on the first chapter of an epub right over the text to check before I answered! Then promptly deleted my "artistic" horror show...
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2024, 09:44 PM   #3
7hir7een
Reader of Books
7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Basic (11th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
Well, I haven't side-loaded via cable from PC in an age, but it certainly works with epubs I've dropped on the device through Dropbox integration, so I would assume it would work with any side-loaded epub.

I just drew an awful looking picture on the first chapter of an epub right over the text to check before I answered! Then promptly deleted my "artistic" horror show...
Thank you so much, very helpful!
7hir7een is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 02:16 AM   #4
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Yes, you can draw in sideloaded epubs. You can highlight, annotate, and sketch to your heart’s content. The only drawback is that none of your annotations will be saved to Kobo’s servers. Kobo doesn’t support sideloaded book syncing at this time. So if you should have a massive database corruption, your annotations will be gone. Make backups!!

In addition, you can’t export or share any annotations regardless of whether the book is Kobo sanctioned or not. You can take screenshots of them, assuming you know how to enable that feature.

At least that is the way it is now. I keep crossing my fingers that there will be some big update around the corner that will make this more useful. Maybe the changes to the Color Libra will be what I’ve been waiting for.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 03:37 AM   #5
mmc_meneses
Enthusiast
mmc_meneses doesn't littermmc_meneses doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Also any handwrite annotation is in format . svf that even if you could transfer to your PC via USB you would have to convert to other format to handle it.
mmc_meneses is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2024, 05:44 AM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7hir7een View Post
Yes, but it's useless compared to touch keyboard to annotate.

The PDFs get an extra image layer, so the PDF can be copied back.

Only the Advanced notebooks are much use. The Libra 2 (not original libra) does work with pen in Sketchpad to save svg files. They can only be later viewed, not edited, on the Libra 2.

The Sage and Elipsa Sketchpad is hidden and only shown in Devmodeon as it's less functional than the basic Nebo notebooks.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 02:32 PM   #7
BlankEyes
Enthusiast
BlankEyes is a jewel in the roughBlankEyes is a jewel in the roughBlankEyes is a jewel in the roughBlankEyes is a jewel in the roughBlankEyes is a jewel in the roughBlankEyes is a jewel in the roughBlankEyes is a jewel in the roughBlankEyes is a jewel in the roughBlankEyes is a jewel in the roughBlankEyes is a jewel in the roughBlankEyes is a jewel in the rough

Device: iPad 2018
Will this help in exporting notes?

https://overread.dev/
BlankEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 04:49 PM   #8
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

no. Useless and privacy issues.
Old 04-12-2024, 04:59 PM   #9
BlankEyes
Enthusiast
BlankEyes is a jewel in the roughBlankEyes is a jewel in the roughBlankEyes is a jewel in the roughBlankEyes is a jewel in the roughBlankEyes is a jewel in the roughBlankEyes is a jewel in the roughBlankEyes is a jewel in the roughBlankEyes is a jewel in the roughBlankEyes is a jewel in the roughBlankEyes is a jewel in the roughBlankEyes is a jewel in the rough

Device: iPad 2018
Ah, that’s bad.
Thanks for a swift reply.
BlankEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 05:03 PM   #10
cerebrollywood
cerebrollywood began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Yes, but it's useless compared to touch keyboard to annotate.

The PDFs get an extra image layer, so the PDF can be copied back.

Only the Advanced notebooks are much use. The Libra 2 (not original libra) does work with pen in Sketchpad to save svg files. They can only be later viewed, not edited, on the Libra 2.

The Sage and Elipsa Sketchpad is hidden and only shown in Devmodeon as it's less functional than the basic Nebo notebooks.
Do you think it would be possible to port the notebook function from the Libra Color to the Libra 2? I mean, the stylus works on the Libra 2 when you use it on Sketchpad, so maybe it's just a software limitation that can be "unlocked" or something...

I would love to not buy another Kobo!
cerebrollywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 07:40 AM   #11
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

It's likely possible for Kobo, but performance might be poor, as it is, Nebo (Advanced Notebooks) is abysmal on the Sage and Elipsa compared to Nebo on the Android tablet I have with a digitiser and pen or Nebo on the iPad plus Apple Pencil.

I'd doubt it's in the code. Kobo are certainly paying MyScript for Nebo. No idea if it's a percent or fixed fee per model sold or some other deal. Perhaps they tried it before Libra 2 release (the original Libra doesn't work) and decided it was too poor, so it's not included in the Firmware build.

You can make notes on the Libra 2 and save the *.svg files, copy those to PC/Mac/Android/iOS/Linux via USB and try handwriting OCR. The files even appear in "My Books" and can be viewed. You just can't edit them on the Libra 2 once you save.

In theory a 3rd party OCR or editor could be added like the way KOReader is added. No jailbreak needed. However a TCL Nxtpaper 11, TCL T-Pen and official cover is less than €300. 4G RAM, 128G Flash, 2000 x1200 pixels, SD card slot works up to 1T byte. True HD video and 200 fps.
Also Google's Gboard (at least Android 7 and later free from Playstore) does very good handwriting conversion even on an old 5.5″ phone, no digitiser needed (though can use a pen), but DO change all the default settings!

Note the Nebo on Kobo for notebooks is even more cut down than the free iPad version. There is no real time preview (which works well on TCL Nxtpaper 11 Android). Gboard also is real time. It's not viable on eink (I tried it on eink Android).

An old and iPad orientated review of Nebo, which Kobo is using for their notebooks. You can copy Kobo *.nebo files to iOS, Windows or Android and import and edit them in Nebo, but not vice-versa.
https://paperlike.com/blogs/paperlik...ebo-app-review

Last edited by Quoth; 04-15-2024 at 07:51 AM.

Tags
elipsa, sage, stylus