Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-13-2017, 03:43 PM   #1
Ginnia
Connoisseur
Ginnia began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Select books by clicking on number in left column

Sometime back, it was possible to select a book in Calibre by clicking on the number in the left column. With recent changes to the program, this is no longer an option. Would it be feasible to reinstate that capability? Often when I make a selection, I have to click on the book title, or author, or some other field, and it's very easy to wipe out the contents of the item selected.

Just wishing.....

Gin
Ginnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 03:46 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Please ask Calibre questions in the Calibre forum, to where I'm now moving this.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2017, 06:07 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginnia View Post
Sometime back, it was possible to select a book in Calibre by clicking on the number in the left column. With recent changes to the program, this is no longer an option. Would it be feasible to reinstate that capability? Often when I make a selection, I have to click on the book title, or author, or some other field, and it's very easy to wipe out the contents of the item selected.

Just wishing.....
Try changing Preferences->Tweaks->Control behavior of the book list->doubleclick_on_library_view to something other than open_viewer

doubleclick_on_library_view
You can control the behavior of doubleclicks on the books list.
Choices: open_viewer, do_nothing, edit_cell, edit_metadata.
Selecting anything other than open_viewer has the side effect of disabling editing a field using a single click.
Default: open_viewer.
Example: doubleclick_on_library_view = 'do_nothing'

I have it set to do_nothing, which means I have to press F2 to start editing columns in the book list, which suits me because I do all my metadata editing in book list. To view a book I press 'V'.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 06:25 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I use the same as BR. F2, V C and E
Touchpads and me don't get along. I got tired of false selections.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 11:20 PM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginnia View Post
I don't see the problem. Clicking the row number selects the book for me. It might be OS dependent. I'm using Windows 10.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2017, 04:55 AM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@davidfor - I'm also on Windows 10. In following screen shot, I had row 6 selected (highlighted), then I clicked the row number 17 (that is the row number itself), you can see the 17 is italicised. But the row that looks like it's selected is is still row 6. If I press left arrow then row 17 will be highlighted.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	156167

If I click on a column (authors, title etc) the row is always highlighted, and because I have the tweak set to do_nothing there's no danger of getting into edit mode or opening the book etc.

In the 4-5 years I've been using calibre on Windows, I can't recall it being otherwise. I've just assumed it's a Qt quirk.

FWIW: if I double click the row number, the format file that is highest in the preferred input pecking order is opened. I'm not sure of there's tweak to control that.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 04-14-2017 at 05:10 AM.
Old 04-14-2017, 04:59 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I've always selected a row by single-clicking on that row. That works fine for me. You'll only edit data if you double-click.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 09:28 AM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
A little more testing and I can reproduce it. But, for only one of my libraries. For all except one, clicking on the row number highlights the row. For this one only, clicking on the row number doesn't. No idea what is different about this library.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 05:28 PM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

All four of my 'normal' libraries are the same - clicking a row number does not shift the highlight.

I have an install of calibre portable, the three libraries I have there do shift the highlight when I click in a row number. But when I use it to access one of my 'normal' libraries, clicking a row number does not shift the highlight.

So, it appears to be library dependent, my four 'normal' libraries were created in June/July 2012, the three libraries in that portable install were created in March 2017. Interesting.

BR
Old 04-14-2017, 06:32 PM   #10
Ginnia
Connoisseur
Ginnia began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
The tweak as suggested ('do_nothing') fixed my problem. Thanks to all who offered suggested fixes...

Gin
Ginnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 11:32 PM   #11
BeeTee-Ess
Addict
BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4NT, KPW2, Voyage, iP4, iP6, iPad Mini, HP TouchPad, Kobo Mini
Clicking the row number works for me. No idea why.

I tried three of my libraries, and all three worked.
BeeTee-Ess is offline   Reply With Quote