Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-03-2020, 09:00 AM   #16
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
Re-Purchased???? I can understanding wanting to delete books from your library so they don't show up on devices or what not,, but surely amazon could have (like everyone else, I think,) implemented a system that would remember in the back end you own the title, in case you ever decide to re-add it. That's just crazy.
There has been no change to how Amazon "stores" your content. If you delete a book from Content & Devices, it is a permanent deletion, which you are warned about before doing. It has always been that way.

If you don't want all of your books showing on your Kindle, you sort by the DOWNLOADED tab. Then you only see those books that are currently downloaded to that specific device.

Of course Amazon "remembers" what books you buy. They have given you, the buyer, the method to control them. If you delete a book from your account, it's like tossing the book into the trash. No brick & mortar store will "restore" a paper book you've deleted/thrown away, just because they have a record of your buying it.

I don't use my Kindles for managing my books, except for the ones I am reading on that device. I use Content & Devices, or Calibre, and rarely delete a book from my account. There is little reason to do so, and I may want to read a book again in the future.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 10:04 AM   #17
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
but surely amazon could have (like everyone else, I think,) implemented a system that would remember in the back end you own the title, in case you ever decide to re-add it. That's just crazy.
Amazon keeps a record of what books you purchased even after you delete them. I have read about cases where books were accidentally deleted using the website and they were able to be restored by contacting customer service.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2020, 11:28 AM   #18
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
It seems odd to me that you have to repurchase after deleting a book, particularly if Amazon keeps a record of it. Comparing the process to a b&m store is nonsensical. I can see you might want to do it with free books, or purchased books, but you should have the right to the book if you already paid and its on record. After all, Amazon doesn't have to pay for a physical copy, so you shouldn't have to pay to replace your copy. Odd policy on Amazon's part.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 11:35 AM   #19
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
It seems odd to me that you have to repurchase after deleting a book, particularly if Amazon keeps a record of it. Comparing the process to a b&m store is nonsensical. I can see you might want to do it with free books, or purchased books, but you should have the right to the book if you already paid and its on record. After all, Amazon doesn't have to pay for a physical copy, so you shouldn't have to pay to replace your copy. Odd policy on Amazon's part.
Do you believe Amazon only pays one time for multiple digital copies?

Customers are responsible for their own content. Amazon has been known to replace a deleted book for a customer, but I'm sure they would not make a habit of it for someone who kept making that same "mistake."

You don't have a "right" to anything just because you paid for the book. If you want to keep the book, don't delete it. You have a "right" to the license you paid for. When you delete the book, the right to the license goes with it. Amazon will abide by the laws that apply to their sale of digital books.

Back up your own purchases, as is mentioned here daily. Don't "expect" Amazon to skirt the law to protect you from your "mistake".
Old 07-03-2020, 01:50 PM   #20
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
I found one instance last night when adding books to my new Oasis where this is a useful feature

For some asinine reason, an old library borrow constantly shows to be downloaded. I didn't realize it was an old library book at first (doesn't have a badge or indicator). It lets you click "download", but when I do, it says this loan has expired and it can't be downloaded. I was able to permanently delete this book, so now I don't have empty library books taking up space and confusing me.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2020, 05:28 AM   #21
Braid
Groupie
Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2nd), Kobo Aura One, Kindle Voyage, Kobo H2O (1st)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
It seems odd to me that you have to repurchase after deleting a book, particularly if Amazon keeps a record of it. Comparing the process to a b&m store is nonsensical.
Yes, it is a nonsensical comparison. Also, the idea that amazon is legally obliged to allow you to un-purchase books from your Kindle, is laughable.

There is no need to have the option to un-purchase ebooks on the Kindle. There is no option to return for refund - that option is only accessible via amazon's website. So, un-purchasing should also be kept there.
Braid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 08:38 AM   #22
Deskisamess
Wizard

Quote:
There is no option to return for refund - that option is only accessible via amazon's website. So, un-purchasing should also be kept there.
Ok, so for the comparison to then Return for Refund option means the "un-purchase" option should only be available for 7 days.

The term "un-purchase" is ridiculous. The term is delete. Gone, gonno, zapped, eliminate, omit. Not recoverable without buying again.

The warning is given, you can't fat thumb this. It is the buyer's responsibility.

After spending 11 years using Kindles, and helping on the now defunct Kindle forums at Amazon, I can say that Amazon made this option for users because of the vast amount of users who asked for it. Many users had come to the forums, not knowing or understanding about Content & Devices on the Amazon site. Users who did know about that area of their account seemed to struggle with using it.

People asked for a way to manage deletions from the Kindles. I agree with the dislike, I don't use the option from my readers. But it's there, nevertheless. Just like the Goodreads icon. Don't use it, don't want it, but it's there.
Old 07-04-2020, 09:46 AM   #23
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
Don't "expect" Amazon to skirt the law to protect you from your "mistake".
Thought I would just point out that there is nothing illegal about restoring to your library a previous purchase.

I should know because guess what... Kobo does this. You can always restore a previous purchase back to your library. And I'm not not talking about if you archive it, but instead if you permanently delete it from your archive. So there really is no such thing as permanent deletion on Kobo.

What Amazon really should have done is create a "hide this title" option instead and have a hidden library that you can access if you wish else remains out of sight.

Those kind of options have been around for digital downloads on all media including Apple's Itunes and Steam forever and ever. There is no excuse for how overly simplistic Amazon handles (and frankly all of their media not just ebooks) digital libraries.

I think that is funny that Amazon wanted to make it easier for users to permanently delete books, BUT I STILL CAN'T DELETE OLD NEWSPAPERS OMG!
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 01:09 PM   #24
Braid
Groupie
Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2nd), Kobo Aura One, Kindle Voyage, Kobo H2O (1st)
Quote:
Ok, so for the comparison to then Return for Refund option means the "un-purchase" option should only be available for 7 days.
No, it does not mean that, when you think about it. Just because two things are similar in one way, does not mean they are similar in all ways. Nice try though.

Quote:
The term "un-purchase" is ridiculous. The term is delete. Gone, gonno, zapped, eliminate, omit. Not recoverable without buying again.
False. To delete something means to erase; you can delete a file without relinquishing the right to download another copy. Thus, the term 'un-purchase' is in contrast with 'delete', because it removes both the file and the ability to download another copy.

Last edited by Braid; 07-04-2020 at 01:21 PM.
Braid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 03:53 AM   #25
Vroo
Zealot
Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of Kindles, PocketBook HD3/InkpadX, inkBOOK, Kobo
BTW. I discovered a potential hole: "Parental Controls" on Kindle allow to restrict access to the cloud. But even with this restriction on, "Permanently delete" is still active and working. So it's absolutely possible that kids delete half of their parents' library.
Vroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 11:34 AM   #26
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroo View Post
BTW. I discovered a potential hole: "Parental Controls" on Kindle allow to restrict access to the cloud. But even with this restriction on, "Permanently delete" is still active and working. So it's absolutely possible that kids delete half of their parents' library.
Uh-oh! They need to change that, just in case. You know kids
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 11:47 AM   #27
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Setting up child accounts would at least restrict access to the entire library, if not this particular ‘feature’.

Last edited by tomsem; 07-06-2020 at 11:50 AM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 12:43 PM   #28
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Give a kid their own ereader with no Amazon account (or delete WiFi setting). Sideload everything from Calibre.

Everything from anyone that's sold as a download should be backed up.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 01:20 PM   #29
marvin_2
marvin_2 has a spectacular aura aboutmarvin_2 has a spectacular aura aboutmarvin_2 has a spectacular aura aboutmarvin_2 has a spectacular aura aboutmarvin_2 has a spectacular aura aboutmarvin_2 has a spectacular aura aboutmarvin_2 has a spectacular aura aboutmarvin_2 has a spectacular aura aboutmarvin_2 has a spectacular aura aboutmarvin_2 has a spectacular aura aboutmarvin_2 has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle
Kindle libraries can get large over the years.

It would be nice if Amazon found a way to help organising them (on their website), rather than provide deleting books as the only way to simplify the view.

Maybe folders. Maybe smart folders (auto-sort by genre? or read/unread). And maybe an archive to hide away books not needed for a while. And a recycle bin to restore (accidentally) deleted books.
marvin_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 01:25 PM   #30
Deskisamess
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvin_2 View Post
Kindle libraries can get large over the years.

It would be nice if Amazon found a way to help organising them (on their website), rather than provide deleting books as the only way to simplify the view.

Maybe folders. Maybe smart folders (auto-sort by genre? or read/unread). And maybe an archive to hide away books not needed for a while. And a recycle bin to restore (accidentally) deleted books.
At one time, there was such a page on Amazon. About the time I got my first Kindle in 2009, they were doing away with it.

You can sort by several different options. I've got close to 2,000 books on my account. I've not found it too difficult to find what I'm looking for.