Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-26-2020, 01:32 PM   #1
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Kindle Oasis Extreme Battery Drain

I know it been talked to death but can't find the thread on it.

The past 2 days my kindle been draining 80% to 100% in one day. I verified that it is not stuck indexing and the screen is on sleep mode when not in use. It also will not charge to 100% it stops at 99% Any ideas other than indexing or a bad battery?
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 01:36 PM   #2
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
As far as I can tell, there's a bug with most recent kindles (I've seen it on the 10th gen basic, Oasis 2, and PW3) with recent software where the firmware will get stuck in a state where the battery drains so quickly it even draiins despite being plugged in that's fixed by restarting the device.
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2020, 03:08 PM   #3
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
As far as I can tell, there's a bug with most recent kindles (I've seen it on the 10th gen basic, Oasis 2, and PW3) with recent software where the firmware will get stuck in a state where the battery drains so quickly it even draiins despite being plugged in that's fixed by restarting the device.
I restarted it a few times already
Old 11-26-2020, 03:12 PM   #4
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I had it at one time and I reinstalled the last update manually and it took care of it.
But I did try to do a total reset of the kindle first and that didn't help.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 03:36 PM   #5
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Did you load a comically oversized book within the last couple of weeks?

I've seen an Oasis 2 take a really long time, I think weeks, to index a Harvard Classics and Bookshelf of Fiction omnibus (which would have come in 71 physical volumes back in the day)
The Harvard Classics was originally known as "Dr. Eliot's Five Foot Shelf" (and that doesn't include the 20 volume "Bookshelf of Fiction")

EDIT: We're talking something that the Amazon description says is over 40k pages, although that's potentially misleading
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2020, 07:18 PM   #6
HLS
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
Did you load a comically oversized book within the last couple of weeks?

I've seen an Oasis 2 take a really long time, I think weeks, to index a Harvard Classics and Bookshelf of Fiction omnibus (which would have come in 71 physical volumes back in the day)
The Harvard Classics was originally known as "Dr. Eliot's Five Foot Shelf" (and that doesn't include the 20 volume "Bookshelf of Fiction")

EDIT: We're talking something that the Amazon description says is over 40k pages, although that's potentially misleading
No. Not large ebook purchases. Took the most recent update a long time ago as well. I went ahead and did a complete reset.
Old 11-26-2020, 07:48 PM   #7
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS View Post
I know it been talked to death but can't find the thread on it.
Two major Oasis 2 battery life threads (found by searching on the tag battery life with keyword Oasis) are:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=291881

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=314302

Quote:
The past 2 days my kindle been draining 80% to 100% in one day. I verified that it is not stuck indexing and the screen is on sleep mode when not in use. It also will not charge to 100% it stops at 99% Any ideas other than indexing or a bad battery?
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 01:12 AM   #8
torishu
torishu knows what time it istorishu knows what time it istorishu knows what time it istorishu knows what time it istorishu knows what time it istorishu knows what time it istorishu knows what time it istorishu knows what time it istorishu knows what time it istorishu knows what time it istorishu knows what time it is

Device: Oasis 3, Paperwhite 5 SE, Paperwhite 4, Onyx BOOX Nova3 Color
I am seeing this as well on two Oasis 3s. Yesterday, they had both been drained from full to 17-18% overnight. This is the bug we're all aware of (or so I thought, anyway). Rebooted, charged them up to 85%. Today, they were both drained to ~40% when I picked them up for the first time. Not used otherwise, no books indexing.

In fact, the reason I came here was to see if anybody else is seeing this.

I wonder if it might be related to the new "Furthest Page Read" dialog that just got pushed to my devices. I've only seen this in the last three days or so.

The drain is so wild that while I typed this message with the Kindle screen on, it drained 7% on the Oasis 3 I have next to me and I was seeing similar drain on the other one.

Last edited by torishu; 11-27-2020 at 01:14 AM.
torishu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 06:48 AM   #9
Waylander
Fanatic
Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 SE, Onyx Boox Poke 3
Glad I'm not the only one. My Oasis3 can drop 20-30% overnight, for no reason. If it's a software bug wish there was some way to fix it. The few is 5.12.3 if that helps. Would manually updating do anything to improve things?
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 11:12 AM   #10
Waylander
Fanatic
Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 SE, Onyx Boox Poke 3
Well, I did the manual update, going from fw 5.12.3 to 5.13.2, and it seems like the battery performance has improved. I've just read for over an hour, and lost only 2%. Before, I was losing over 5%. This is the performance described as good by Nathan at the Ebook Reader.com: https://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/20...the-same-time/.

Hopefully, the sudden 20-30% drain overnight will have been stopped as well but will wait to see if this has been dealt with.
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 01:06 PM   #11
torishu
torishu knows what time it istorishu knows what time it istorishu knows what time it istorishu knows what time it istorishu knows what time it istorishu knows what time it istorishu knows what time it istorishu knows what time it istorishu knows what time it istorishu knows what time it istorishu knows what time it is

Device: Oasis 3, Paperwhite 5 SE, Paperwhite 4, Onyx BOOX Nova3 Color
I was already on 5.13.3 when I started seeing the extreme battery drain. It coincided with the new reading progress dialog update being pushed to my devices but I don't know that it's related.

I've drained my battery completely and I'm charging now and will see if that fixes it.
torishu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 04:43 PM   #12
spersephone
Zealot
spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Voyage
I'm really unhappy with my Oasis. I have lost 5% in the last half hour or so, and yesterday it was fully charged but the next night it was already down to 72%, then this morning down to 52% and continuing to drop. I read at light level 8 most of the time, use dark mode at night. I do keep the wifi on, because I sync between my phone (Audible) and want that to work.

Compared to my Kindle Voyage, it's really, really bad.
spersephone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 06:15 PM   #13
HLS
Wizard

I been on the most recent update for some time. Now my Oasis will not charge above 98%. I left on charger for a long time and ill stops 98%
Old 11-30-2020, 07:20 PM   #14
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS View Post
I been on the most recent update for some time. Now my Oasis will not charge above 98%. I left on charger for a long time and ill stops 98%
It may need to recalibrate its charge meter.

Let it run down to however low you are comfortable with, then charge it to full.

If the battery is wearing out, 98% might be the maximum charge it can have.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 09:33 PM   #15
spersephone
Zealot
spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Voyage
I’ve updated to the new firmware, and somehow it seems to have made a big difference! So much happier now.
spersephone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery drain