Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 11-26-2020, 09:29 PM   #16
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGonigle View Post
In Denmark we have had since 1968 the CPR number (Civil Registration Number).

You need it to open a bank account, access your health insurance, borrow books from the library, pay tax, receive a salary and so on.

The CPR number consists of ten digits. The first six digits are your date of birth (day, month and year) while the last four digits provide a unique identification number for all citizens in Denmark. The final four numbers also indicate your gender, ending in even numbers for women and odd numbers for men.

It is by law supposedly confidential and sensitive information but in reality everyone uses it as the primary key number to identify you in IT-systems - in fact I tried once to sit an exam in IT security without supplying my CPR number on these grounds, but was told that in that case, I could not take the exam.

Once in a while some of these numbers are suddenly shared by accident, with third parties who are not supposed to have access to this information.
In the US we have something similar -- the Social Security Number (SSN). It used to be that a person didn't get an SSN until they applied for it, which usually was when they took their first job. I don't remember when exactly, sometime in the 1970s I believe, that was changed so that the SSN was issued at time of birth (automatically applied for by the hospital along with the birth certificate).

The SSN is a 9-digit unique identifier, which is supposed to be kept confidential but is needed for everything, like Denmark's CPR. The failing is that there is nothing more to it than a number -- no photo ID or fingerprint or anything else that would connect the number to the person claiming it. So, although we have a required SSN, we do not have a national ID.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 01:35 AM   #17
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
One problem with an national ID card is that it's easier to fake an identity - only one item is needed.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 05:33 AM   #18
tempest@de
Fanatic
tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
One problem with an national ID card is that it's easier to fake an identity - only one item is needed.
For our ID cards I don’t believe it is, the photo and the signature are printed directly on the card, so you cannot change them, also the card has a chip with the card data that can be read with a card reader so it would be easy to see if it was a forgery, the old ones had a photo and where laminated, those where easier to forge.
tempest@de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 05:33 AM   #19
tempest@de
Fanatic
tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, kindle
I stand corrected of my assumption, not all countries have IDs, thank you for sharing and please keep it up, I like to learn about how things are in other places.
tempest@de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 10:09 AM   #20
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I live in Ohio, and have never been fingerprinted for a driver's license, or any other reason.

Many jobs require it, because of background checks. My mom was fingerprinted back in the 1990's when she applied to work at a public grade school. Well, they tried, but couldn't get a fingerprint off of any of her fingers.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 11:36 AM   #21
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
People have their identity stolen online fairly often these days, at least in the US. So many companies and other entities require employees and others to submit their Social Security Number, and then a hacker comes along and steals those numbers. As someone else mentioned, the SSN is just a number on a card without an ID photo or fingerprint. If you steal a person's SSN, you can pretty much steal their identity. I worked for the US government briefly on two occasions, and hackers managed to steal my information from the government databases a few years ago. So far no identity theft has occurred, but I keep my credit bureau accounts locked. It is a total PITA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
I live in Ohio, and have never been fingerprinted for a driver's license, or any other reason.

Many jobs require it, because of background checks. My mom was fingerprinted back in the 1990's when she applied to work at a public grade school. Well, they tried, but couldn't get a fingerprint off of any of her fingers.
Each state and territory can choose whether to fingerprint or not, though the feds are trying to encourage all of them to do so and to adopt a similar looking card format, but they are not required to do so.

Last edited by OtinG; 11-27-2020 at 11:38 AM.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 09:44 AM   #22
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
There is no such thing as a national ID in the US, but most people have some form of ID, either a driver's license or a government ID card. Pretty much, the only time I need to show ID is when I vote, get pulled over by the police or buy booze at the grocery store.
My state has gone back and forth over the voter ID issue. Currently no ID is required for voting here. Voter ID has been a controversial issue in the US as there are some people (mostly poor and/or older) who don't have a state ID.

I keep expecting someone to propose a national ID for the US. I expect we'll have one someday but it doesn't seem likely to happen anytime soon.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote