Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-19-2020, 07:40 AM   #1
Yonder
Yonder began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo N613
Building a dashboard

I wanted to dust off my old Kobo Glo and build a simple dashboard - displaying time - weather, wind, sunrise/sunset etc.

I know frontend/js the best - so I'm looking for a way to get build a fullscreen web window (perhaps using qt5 webview) and simply loading a page with widgets.

What is the easiest way to do this with all the nice tools there are today? I'm thinking kfmon etc.

Also - in what way can I conserve power as much as possible? Preferably I want to have the whole device off basically - and then power on every 15 minutes to do a page refresh (or js widget refresh) whatever is most energy efficient way.
Yonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 01:23 PM   #2
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
I am not skilled enough but there is this thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=322162

May it will be useful for You.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2020, 04:03 PM   #3
Yonder

Thanks for your reply - that is a way forward if you want to use python. I still kind of am looking for my full screen browser solution
Old 05-19-2020, 05:35 PM   #4
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yonder View Post
Thanks for your reply - that is a way forward if you want to use python. I still kind of am looking for my full screen browser solution
There is a FullScreenBrowser option in the config file.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 02:54 AM   #5
Yonder

Ah, excellent! Is there a way to control which url is opened as well? It opens google and I have no way of entering a url. It's fine if I hard code the startup url somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
There is a FullScreenBrowser option in the config file.
Advert
Old 05-20-2020, 04:04 AM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Ah, excellent! Is there a way to control which url is opened as well? It opens google and I have no way of entering a url. It's fine if I hard code the startup url somewhere.
You can enter the URL when not in full screen mode and set it as the home page. This is stored in the config file as something like:
Code:
[Browser]
homePage="http://www.google.com/"
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 07:20 AM   #7
Yonder

Yea - you're right davidfor, the syntax is correct - just without the " quotation marks.
Do you know of anyway to run the browser in landspace mode? Or I just need to rotate using css?
Old 05-20-2020, 08:29 AM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Yea - you're right davidfor, the syntax is correct - just without the " quotation marks.
The lines came almost directly from my config file. There was a query string in the URL, so maybe they are needed to avoid escaping other characters.
Quote:
Do you know of anyway to run the browser in landspace mode? Or I just need to rotate using css?
With the following in the config file, it adds a icon to the menu bar to rotate the device.

Code:
[DeveloperSettings]
ForceAllowLandscape=true
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
browser, dashboard, kobo, qt5, webview