Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 07-05-2020, 05:07 PM   #1
nodje
nodje began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Transfering books from one Calibre library to another

I just can't find a way to transfer a selection of books from one Calibre lib to another.

I can't use export/import, this not about exporting the entire lib.
I obvioulsy want to avoid having to re-import file by file.

i just want to move the books as they with their multiple versions (epub, moby) and find them exactly as they were in the other lib.

thanks for any help
nodje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 05:09 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodje View Post
I just can't find a way to transfer a selection of books from one Calibre lib to another.

I can't use export/import, this not about exporting the entire lib.
I obvioulsy want to avoid having to re-import file by file.

i just want to move the books as they with their multiple versions (epub, moby) and find them exactly as they were in the other lib.

thanks for any help
Select the files in the source library, right-click, Copy to library, select the destination library and if you want a copy or a move (delete after copy option).
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 05:41 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
AND
If the other Library is on a different computer,
1) Create temp library on the existing computer. and do as DNSB said to that,
2)then sneakernet the Library folder over to the new PC and Copy to Library with that on in view.

FWIW I have had good luck (YMMV) Skipping the above by PULLING the books from the source PC over the wired LAN using Copy to Library with the remote being the viewed Library (Do not try and do other Metadata stuff, that is where I have had lockups)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 11:25 AM   #4
nodje
nodje began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
thanks @theducks for adding this, and thanks @DNSB, it worked.

To sum it up for anyone stumbling on this post in the future, I'd say:
- it's not possible to transfer book from one Calibre instance to another
BUT:
- you can transfer books from one Calibre library to another one within one instance
AND:
- you can restore a full Calibre library from one instance to another.

So:
- you won't be able to sync two libraries on two Calibre instances, let alone script it.

BUT you can do this operation manually by first doing a full restore of the library you want to copy book FROM on the Calibre instance that has the library you want to copy the book TO
nodje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 01:04 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Preferences: Adding Books: addin actions (a tab): Check Duplicates (then uses standard Auto-merge (Duplicate) rules below)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote