Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 07-05-2020, 11:17 PM   #16
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Nominations are complete and voting is now open!

Voting will close exactly four days from this post.

Each person has EIGHT votes to use.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 11:30 PM   #17
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The variety this month is substantial. There's not only six countries, seven decades and many different types of writing represented, but also books in each of the 100-, 200-, 300-, 400-, 500- and 600-page ranges, as well as representation from four(!) different centuries.
Old 07-07-2020, 09:19 PM   #18
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
I could have voted for all of them, but final wring out for me is:

2 for The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter - Carson McCullers
2 for The Solitude of Prime Numbers - Paolo Giordano
2 for Coasting - Jonathan Raban
1 for Robinson Crusoe - Daniel Defoe
1 for Papillon - Henri Charrière
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 01:33 AM   #19
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Well, I definitely know that I want the following as my top choice, and I’m trying to decide the rest of my votes.

2 for The Solitude of Prime Numbers - Paolo Giordano
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 07:25 PM   #20
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

My votes:

1 to Papillon
1 to All the King's Men
1 to Pan
1 to The Solitude of Prime Numbers
1 to To the Lighthouse
1 to Coasting
1 to Dracula
1 to The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter

This is another month of great possibilities and I'd be happy with any of them. Robinson Crusoe is one of my all-time favourites and I'd be up for a re-read, but it's the only one I've already read. I've read other books by both Woolf (Mrs Dalloway, A Room of One's Own) and Hamsun (Hunger) and like both authors. I liked both of their current nom's previews as well, To the Lighthouse beginning with the son hoping for an outing to the title structure and Pan with a man reminiscing about living in a cabin by a forest in the north of Norway during the 'endless day' when the sun never sets.

Coasting starts with a description of the view of various unwelcoming parts of the English coast as viewed from a boat, Dracula with the narrator travelling to Romania and describing his first impressions on his way to meet the Count. The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter has a preview describing two very different mute and deaf men who are best friends (and each other's only friend) and live together as roommates in the deep south, until one of them becomes very unwell and leaves the story by being sent off to a mental institution, which recalled for me our previous selection Owls Do Cry.

Papillon really drew me in with its preview of author describing his sentencing to prison and the 'descent into hell'. All the King's Men didn't draw me in quite as much from the start and contains some offensive language right out the gate, but I know it's considered one of the great American novels and I'd like to read it. The Solitude of Prime Numbers' preview seems to be something of an intriguing prologue set in the 1980s about a girl going to her early morning ski practice on a fateful day.
Old 07-09-2020, 09:45 PM   #21
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It is a very diverse list this month. The only book on the list that I have read is The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter. Now I have to decide how to distribute my remaining votes.
Old 07-09-2020, 09:53 PM   #22
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Here are my last votes:

2 for Papillon
2 to Dracula
1 for Robinson Crusoe
1 to To the Lighthouse
Old 07-09-2020, 11:11 PM   #23
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
It is a very diverse list this month. The only book on the list that I have read is The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter.
Ah, nice. What did you think of it?
Old 07-10-2020, 12:13 AM   #24
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

That's it; voting is complete and this month we have a winner without a run-off! We'll be reading The Solitude of Prime Numbers for July. I'll have the discussion thread up soon.
Old 07-12-2020, 08:46 PM   #25
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
Ah, nice. What did you think of it?
I did not like The Heart is a Lonely Hunter. However, I was "forced" to read it in high school. I still have my falling apart Bantam paperback edition with all of my highlights and handwritten notes from class discussions. If only I could still read the text that small.

It is one of those books that I wonder if I should read now as an adult and see how my view of it has changed.
Old 07-14-2020, 09:21 PM   #26
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

I've got The Solitude of Prime Numbers from my library now, and I'm ready to start reading.
Old 07-15-2020, 06:26 AM   #27
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

The discussion thread is up!