Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-05-2019, 04:47 PM   #466
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
The specs say 1T1R for connectivity. What is 1T1R?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 06:08 PM   #467
Thargor
Connoisseur
Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Sony PRS 505
I thought Id gotten rid of swipe to unlock by adding UnlockEnabled=false to the bottom of the config file but its not working, does anyone know why?
Thargor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2019, 06:19 PM   #468
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@Thargor: It's a tiny bit more complex than "at the bottom of the config file".

It has to be inside the "PowerOptions" section.

Purely for example, that section of my own config file currently looks like this:

Code:
[PowerOptions]
AutoColorEnabled=false
BedTime=@Variant(\0\0\0\xf\0m\xdd\0)
ColorSetting=2970
FrontLightLevel=12
FullscreenCoverInfoPanel=false
FullscreenCoverStretch=true
IndicatorCharging=true
SleepAccessoryEnabled=false
UnlockEnabled=false
(While here, the bottom of the file would be the "Services" section).

You'll then have restart the device to pickup the change.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 07:04 PM   #469
Thargor
Connoisseur
Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@Thargor: It's a tiny bit more complex than "at the bottom of the config file".

It has to be inside the "PowerOptions" section.

Purely for example, that section of my own config file currently looks like this:

Code:
[PowerOptions]
AutoColorEnabled=false
BedTime=@Variant(\0\0\0\xf\0m\xdd\0)
ColorSetting=2970
FrontLightLevel=12
FullscreenCoverInfoPanel=false
FullscreenCoverStretch=true
IndicatorCharging=true
SleepAccessoryEnabled=false
UnlockEnabled=false
(While here, the bottom of the file would be the "Services" section).

You'll then have restart the device to pickup the change.
Ah you're a legend thanks, that worked first time. Tbh none of the results I got on Google tell you it has to be under PowerOptions, they just say at the bottom. Thanks for that it was about the only thing left bothering me about the Forma, Im so impressed with it, its nearly doubled the amount of time I spend reading.
Old 09-05-2019, 07:25 PM   #470
droopy
Guru
droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thargor View Post
The power button, hilariously bad, zero tactile feedback, have to press it way too hard, the swipe to unlock feature I had to remove in the config file just the icing on the sh*tcake.

If you no longer have to swipe to unlock, how then do you unlock your Forma?
droopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2019, 07:33 PM   #471
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@droopy: it's always unlocked. (i.e., it's alseep, or awake, there's no "awake but locked" state when waking it up, however you happen do that, power button or sleepcover).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 09:44 PM   #472
ratinox
Fanatic
ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Forma, iPad Air 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
The specs say 1T1R for connectivity. What is 1T1R?
It means one antenna used for transmit and receive.
ratinox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 10:47 AM   #473
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
I was getting emotional saying goodbye to my Glo HD after all the books we'd read together...
I get the same way whenever I get a new reader. It's ridiculous, but there it is.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 03:54 PM   #474
Liesse
Zealot
Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Forma
Quote:

-The buttons are a bit creaky and rattly, I would have liked them to be firmer and more clicky, I get the feeling they'll break in or bed down over time though.

They do bed in, at least mine did. Mine barely makes a sound now. I also patched mine so both buttons go forward.

I've not noticed the power button, but I do use a sleep case so have no real nerd3to use the power button.

So glad you are enjoying your Forma. I love mine too.
Liesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 12:33 AM   #475
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
I've had my Forma since it came out. I don't remember having those issues with the power or page buttons at the beginning, but I definitely don't now.

The page buttons have a very quiet click. The power button isn't hard to press, and you can easily feel when you've pressed it enough.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 12:39 AM   #476
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
I’d add that virtually any background noise basically makes any sound the page turn buttons make nigh unnoticeable.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 04:04 PM   #477
Thargor
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesse View Post
They do bed in, at least mine did. Mine barely makes a sound now. I also patched mine so both buttons go forward.

I've not noticed the power button, but I do use a sleep case so have no real nerd3to use the power button.

So glad you are enjoying your Forma. I love mine too.
Its near perfect, I dont actually think I could be happier with it, its the finest reader money can buy bar none.

Id say just in a few days since I got it Ive trebled the usual amount of reading Ive done, the screen is just amazing to look at and you get a shock at how light it is every time you pick it up.

I got the Ferrari Red version of this case and it looks amazing in it, I always pop it out when reading at home though, the weight of it is the best feature.
Old 09-08-2019, 06:02 PM   #478
beespeckled
Zealot
beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!

Device: KOBO Aura One; Kindle Oasis 3
I'm seriously considering adding a Libra, I love my Aura One and have had very few problems. (Originally purchased in Sept. 2016)

There is, what I hope is only a slight scratch on screen and not a crack in substrate. It is only noticeable if I really slant the screen in the light to look for it.

The Libra is attractive to me as a backup reader, slightly smaller so it may fit better for travel. As a 98% user of Overdrive, I'm very happy with the Overdrive feature on the One, and for that reason alone, keeps me looking at Kobo's for future Ereader devices.

I tend to fold the cover I use on the One for one handed reading, so the shape of the Libra looks good for one handed reading. I like the idea of buttons, that is the only thing with the One, the screen stays smudged as I read frequently. I prefer a smooth face screen like the One, but it isn't a big deal to have a raised bezel. The Forma is bigger than I need and more expensive than I want to go for a 2nd reader, so the Libra is attractive in that it is the same shape as the Forma, better price point and smaller than the One for travel.

Much to ponder as I wait for real life reviews
beespeckled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 10:52 AM   #479
Nightyume
Addict
Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.

Device: HTC One, Galaxy Note 10.1, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by beespeckled View Post
I'm seriously considering adding a Libra, I love my Aura One and have had very few problems. (Originally purchased in Sept. 2016)

That's actually something to remember about the forma, it has a plastic substrate so you shouldn't get a broken screen.

Supposedly it will be plastic like the forma.

I was talking to kobo customer support over s small payment issue and while I was doing that I saw the listing for the Libra on their web site. So when the issue was resolved I asked if he could tell me whether it would have a plastic substrate like the Forma or a glass one like their other readers. He said plastic.

Of course, take this with a grain of salt since customer service reps don’t always have the pertinent information and sometimes they misunderstand. It's very possible that he or the person he consulted thought I was taking about the front of the screen.

One reason I think that he might be mistaken is that the weight is almost the same between the two despite the size difference and the libra is thicker (since advantages of plastic substrate include thickness and weight). Off course that could be due to cheaper materials and the screen not being flush.

I know that the Forma is expensive, especially outside of Canada or the US (I got mine in Mexico), but for me, not having to worry about a broken screen again was totally worth it.
Nightyume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 11:11 AM   #480
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Tech review sites and various bloggers with connections in Kobo have said that the Libra uses glass, not plastic.

Customer level CS is generally a questionable source with already released products. That only gets worse with unreleased products.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote