Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 09-10-2023, 01:57 PM   #1
Jjuann
Jjuann began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Ultra C
lighting Onyx Boox Ultra C 10.3

I am interested in this device, but I would like to use it without the light it comes with. Does anyone who has tried it know if artificial light in an office-type room is enough?
Jjuann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2023, 02:23 PM   #2
BanditoB
Enthusiast
BanditoB seizes *every* day. In the original latin.BanditoB seizes *every* day. In the original latin.BanditoB seizes *every* day. In the original latin.BanditoB seizes *every* day. In the original latin.BanditoB seizes *every* day. In the original latin.BanditoB seizes *every* day. In the original latin.BanditoB seizes *every* day. In the original latin.BanditoB seizes *every* day. In the original latin.BanditoB seizes *every* day. In the original latin.BanditoB seizes *every* day. In the original latin.BanditoB seizes *every* day. In the original latin.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Boox Tab Ultra, Boox Tab Ultra C, Kindle Oasis-9th Gen
Typical office lighting is fairly bright, so you should be able to read the device adequately in the office. Just keep in mind that the image will be a bit on the dark side and won’t be as contrasty as when using the backlight.
BanditoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2023, 04:43 PM   #3
Jjuann

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanditoB View Post
Typical office lighting is fairly bright, so you should be able to read the device adequately in the office. Just keep in mind that the image will be a bit on the dark side and won’t be as contrasty as when using the backlight.
Yes I understand. Thanks for the information!!. I need to take a lot of notes and with colors, until now I had one of those whiteboards that erases but the markers don't write well unless you clean the whiteboard with some liquid and I don't like them very much. I think this ink tablet would suit me well but it has a price that requires thinking about it several times.
Old 09-11-2023, 02:39 AM   #4
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjuann View Post
I am interested in this device, but I would like to use it without the light it comes with.
Why that?
The E Ink lighting illuminates the screen in the same way as ambient light - from above!
There is no difference.
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 04:20 AM   #5
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanditoB View Post
Just keep in mind that the image will be a bit on the dark side and won’t be as contrasty as when using the backlight.
Its not backlight - its frontlight!
Advert
Old 09-11-2023, 05:54 AM   #6
Jjuann

Yes I understand. Some commentators even in the reviews talk about backlighting, but that is not the case. Thanks for confirming it. The thing is that I had two others, a Sony and a Kindle, and the light so close to the screen was fine, I'm not saying it wasn't, but I liked the ambient lighting even more. I don't know why but I think that being so close to the screen reflects a little more than that of a room, but I may be wrong. Also, according to what I have read, the battery consumption changes a little. Anyway, I think I've already decided to buy it so I can take notes and annotate documents with at least one or two colors.
Old 09-11-2023, 08:42 AM   #7
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Quote:
Also, according to what I have read, the battery consumption changes a little.
LEDs have become so insanely efficient nowadays.
Unless you have your front light set on "scorch eyeballs" you should be worrying more about WiFi.
I leave my front light on all the time on a low setting.
If it's bright out, I don't notice it. If it's dark, I do.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 10:27 AM   #8
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
LEDs have become so insanely efficient nowadays.
And with the Tab Ultra C's huge battery, it doesn't matter at all
Old 09-11-2023, 11:58 AM   #9
Jjuann

Thank you very much for the information. Well, it's already bought. I just hope it arrives and doesn't have problems with I don't know what they call dead pixels or dead zones, which was mentioned in a review as something to keep in mind although apparently it's a rare thing to happen -MyDeepGuide-. Of course, if I have any I plan to return it, it is not a price for it to have defects.
Old 09-11-2023, 12:11 PM   #10
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
I remember in ye olde days when LEDs just came out that we used to pump 20 mA through them.
You'd cup your hands around it and say "Ok, turn it on. Ok, turn it off. I can see the difference!"
Nowadays, put 1 mA through a LED and you'll need sunglasses.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 12:13 PM   #11
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
I just hope it arrives and doesn't have problems with I don't know what they call dead pixels or dead zones, which was mentioned in a review as something to keep in mind although apparently it's a rare thing to happen
Forget this nonsense - there should hardly be a flawless screen.
Only if something really bothers you should you contact the seller.
Old 09-11-2023, 12:32 PM   #12
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
Why that?
The E Ink lighting illuminates the screen in the same way as ambient light - from above!
There is no difference.
Not true. Absolutely not the same thing. You keep claiming this. Ambient reflection is never ever brighter than a decent book illuminated by light. Automatic front light level only sometimes works. It's as easy to have a front light too bright as a back light.

Only eink read without a front light is like natural reading and you can't do that with colour eink. It's always too much dimmer than paper without the front light. As you move around the front light will sometimes need turned up or down to give a screen as if lit by ambient light.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 12:55 PM   #13
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Not true.
You should learn physics - then you can no longer spread such nonsense in good faith.
Ambient light on EInk is light reflected from a light gray background, just like the front light used on EInk.
There is no difference - neither physical nor logical, cannot be measured with any device; perhaps as a spintish

Last edited by ottischwenk; 09-11-2023 at 01:15 PM.
Old 09-11-2023, 01:52 PM   #14
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
You should learn physics - then you can no longer spread such nonsense in good faith.
Ambient light on EInk is light reflected from a light gray background, just like the front light used on EInk.
There is no difference - neither physical nor logical, cannot be measured with any device; perhaps as a spintish
Well, I'd convince you of the physics here in the workshop, not over the internet.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 02:07 PM   #15
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Quote:
Well, I'd convince you of the physics here in the workshop, not over the internet.
You could possibly get different results using a pendulum or dowsing rod.