Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 07-16-2023, 03:14 PM   #1
eReader fan
Addict
eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.

Device: Onyx Nova pro and Hisense A2 pro
Is Onyx slowering devices via firmware?

I have used different Onyx devices through many many years, since their beginning. During all this time, sometimes a device I was feeling smooth started to run slower just after a firmware update.

Some updates are more big and breakthrough than others, but it is suspicious all the slowering noticed, because it is too much. Recently I updated a Onyx Nova Pro after some time of not doing it and happened the same, now is so slow compared to before the update.

Did anyone notice the same with their more than a year old devices?

Is this a strategy to convince us to throw our devices and buy the new ones?
eReader fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2023, 04:36 PM   #2
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
No idea. I tried a few of them almost new and they were already slugish on [my] first run.

Onyx gets money only by selling hardware and they hold the monopoly of e-ink bastardized android devices.

There's no incentive for them in selling reliable hardware, provide good customer support, comply with international laws, abide by software licenses or give a f*** about their customers, because they're locked into a walled garden. An "open android e-ink" walled garden.

I sincerely hope another company steps in (huawei?, xiaomi?) and makes a device available to mass customers outside china. Until then I think it's safe to assume they're abussing their position.
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2023, 04:58 PM   #3
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by eReader fan View Post
Did anyone notice the same with their more than a year old devices?
I'm still using my old Poke3 and am still very happy with it.
Ok, so the battery died and I'm still working on replacing that properly.
Until then, the "Frankensteined" Motorola battery works ok.

OTOH, I'm only using Onyx Android and not any of their apps.
Bloat may be creeping in with updates.
Also, check your display modes, they may have been reset with updates.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2023, 06:40 PM   #4
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
I have never experienced a slow down following an update. The old nova pro is slow. I use it purely as an ereader.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 02:49 AM   #5
trott3r
Enthusiast
trott3r began at the beginning.

Device: kobo sage considering boox
All android devices slow down over time whether they ate phones or tablets.
trott3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2023, 06:44 AM   #6
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trott3r View Post
All android devices slow down over time whether they ate phones or tablets.
So you think that it is diet-related?
Old 07-17-2023, 07:18 AM   #7
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, Marvin 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
So you think that it is diet-related?
Only for full-fat Android.
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 02:25 AM   #8
snapper.fishes
Forever Junior Member
snapper.fishes began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Tab Ultra C
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazos View Post
No idea. I tried a few of them almost new and they were already slugish on [my] first run.

Onyx gets money only by selling hardware and they hold the monopoly of e-ink bastardized android devices.

There's no incentive for them in selling reliable hardware, provide good customer support, comply with international laws, abide by software licenses or give a f*** about their customers, because they're locked into a walled garden. An "open android e-ink" walled garden.

I sincerely hope another company steps in (huawei?, xiaomi?) and makes a device available to mass customers outside china. Until then I think it's safe to assume they're abussing their position.
What monopoly? Bigme has also been making Android e-ink readers for years.
snapper.fishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2023, 06:12 PM   #9
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
My Boox Note air 2 plus runs great. you can change the refresh rate/speed in the eink center
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2023, 09:45 PM   #10
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
I have never experienced a slow down following an update. The old nova pro is slow. I use it purely as an ereader.
My original Note device became almost inoperable after a relatively recent update. That was very unfortunate for Boox because I subsequently lent it out to a colleague who had expressed an interest in getting an ereader. He was very underwhelmed.

Fortunately, the most recent update seems to have fixed whatever had plagued it during the previous update. But too late to tempt my colleague to take another look.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 09:23 PM   #11
Neuropsychology
Between pages
Neuropsychology began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H20
Since it has the playstore, one could install Geekbench and benchmark it. Before and after would be some data to disprove your theory of slowdown. I'd be curious what it scores if someone wants to try.
Neuropsychology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 06:39 PM   #12
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
They will put numerous more features on it. I doubt it's a conscience decision.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2023, 07:24 PM   #13
twno1
twno1 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.twno1 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.twno1 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.twno1 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.twno1 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.twno1 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.twno1 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.twno1 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.twno1 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.twno1 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.twno1 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Onyx poke4lite
The storage hardware boox uses is mainly eMMc. If you experience slow down overtime, that is a normal phenomenom for eMMc. It is not about using android system, for boox's updates are always about their apps, not android version or security updates.
If boox would adopt UFS, the slow down issue could be ignored.
twno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2023, 08:26 PM   #14
Renate
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by twno1 View Post
If boox would adopt UFS, the slow down issue could be ignored.
All the newer and bigger Onyx use UFS 2.1
It's unfortunate that Onyx doesn't make a top-of-the-line 6" ereader.
I guess that they presume the reason people buy 6" ereaders is that they are just trying to buy the cheapest device.
Old 08-16-2023, 02:05 PM   #15
eReader fan
Addict
eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.

Device: Onyx Nova pro and Hisense A2 pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
Fortunately, the most recent update seems to have fixed whatever had plagued it during the previous update. But too late to tempt my colleague to take another look.
This is not the case in my Nova Pro. It runs the last firmware but it is slow. For reading it is ok, but for a tablet alike use now it is not a good device.

Maybe I try downgrading it, but since it needs a PC and the use of adb (which I didn't use since many time ago) it would take a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
All the newer and bigger Onyx use UFS 2.1
It's unfortunate that Onyx doesn't make a top-of-the-line 6" ereader.
I guess that they presume the reason people buy 6" ereaders is that they are just trying to buy the cheapest device.
With the newer devices do you mean the Tab one's? Or before that?

It wouldn't surprise me Onyx is doing this as a strategy. If they discontinue the support of 3 years old devices, or doesn't offers the possibility to repair the broken devices, easly would they do this strategy as well. Apple did it, Onyx easly also could.
eReader fan is offline   Reply With Quote