Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-05-2009, 10:03 AM   #46
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Okay, Clark, I was confused because you earlier said:

"I used the 2.0.1 update binary and Igor Skochinsky's work to create a fake update and dump the /opt/amazon directory to the user accessible portion of the flash memory."

So I thought you took the whole binary and just changed a string in it. What you're saying is, no, your update just changes the string of whatever file is already there. Gotcha.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 10:15 AM   #47
stevenmoy
Zealot
stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2
Can you make sure you patch the version string as well? If you don't change the version string, people who install the screensaver hack by tempering with the system configuration files are really going to confuse customer support moving forward. At least if you change the version string to something like "Version 2.0 + ScreenSaver Hack", then customer supports will include that as detail when they file bug report from customer. Devs really hate it when the details are skipped out when they investigate bug report.
stevenmoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2009, 10:37 AM   #48
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

stevenmoy from what I understand now, the patch only fixes the screensaver. It doesn't change anything else related to the version you have now, be it 2.0 or 2.0.1.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:43 AM   #49
kylecronan
-
kylecronan began at the beginning.

This works great, thanks! I'm glad somebody bit the bullet and verified that K1 update binaries as created by Igor's code don't brick the K2! Very useful to know that.
kylecronan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 10:50 AM   #50
stevenmoy
Zealot
stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
stevenmoy from what I understand now, the patch only fixes the screensaver. It doesn't change anything else related to the version you have now, be it 2.0 or 2.0.1.
That's the problem. When customer contacts customer support, the support department needs to file report. If they forward that report to devs to investigate, devs really want to reproduce the problem, so they can fix it. Now with this bit of modification on the screensaver location, new scenarios are introduced. If devs aren't in the loop of that's happening, devs will be running circles and may not able to reproduce the problem. Pain for devs...
Advert
Old 03-05-2009, 10:54 AM   #51
sirbruce
Provocateur

If you're using a hacked version they won't give you support anyway.

It's *extremely* unlikely that this particular patch would have an effect on any other component of the Kindle, but possible. Anyone who uses this patch and has a problem should be smart enough to revert back to their earlier version and reproduce the problem before reporting it to Amazon.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:01 AM   #52
stevenmoy
Zealot

After using OS X for years, I've seen so many cases for pixi hacks on the systems. And every time Apple pushes out a software update, so many griefs are created on both sides... Both the users of the hacks and the devs who are assigned to investigate on root cause. Root cause analysis is time consuming and seriously frustrates the devs if they are hunting for ghosts due to an unintended system modification.

That's why if the update file is going to modify the configuration directory, I want to appeal to the author of the file to include a change on the version string. Such that those bug report will indicate a change on the system file.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:04 AM   #53
clarknova
Addict
clarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with others

================================================== ================
This is no longer the latest version.
Go here instead.
================================================== ================

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenmoy
Can you make sure you patch the version string as well?
I didn't want to do that because it doubles the complexity of the mod (quite literally, now we have to edit two files ).

However, you raise valid points, and God (Ken Thompson) created regular expressions for a reason. So I've gone ahead and done this. The big concern was that every change that's made has to be able to be revoked or else official updates will fail when they can't get the correct checksums on the files. So I had to do some testing to make sure everything was kosher.

Ok, now I've really got to get back to work.
Attached Files
File Type: zip kindle2_screen_saver_hack-0.3.zip (5.7 KB, 23541 views)

Last edited by clarknova; 03-19-2009 at 03:55 PM.
clarknova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 11:06 AM   #54
stevenmoy
Zealot

Really appreciate the update on the version string. Thank you.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:10 AM   #55
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenmoy View Post
That's the problem. When customer contacts customer support, the support department needs to file report. If they forward that report to devs to investigate, devs really want to reproduce the problem, so they can fix it. Now with this bit of modification on the screensaver location, new scenarios are introduced. If devs aren't in the loop of that's happening, devs will be running circles and may not able to reproduce the problem. Pain for devs...
Maybe that will lead to that the functionality will be introduced in the standard firmware since the cost to handle all these problems will be high.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 11:14 AM   #56
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenmoy View Post
After using OS X for years, I've seen so many cases for pixi hacks on the systems. And every time Apple pushes out a software update, so many griefs are created on both sides... Both the users of the hacks and the devs who are assigned to investigate on root cause.
As a developer I have been on both sides of the. When people change you software or use it as no intended and have problems, they expect you to fix it.

This is always why as a user I resist installing hacks that are out side of the standard expected configuration methods.

This is also why as a developer I strive to ensure that there are planned extension points that won't cause as much pain during updates. Document them so the users know what you expect. It is not always easy to do.

This is why I am very surprised that the kindle doesn't allow for "screen saver" images to be changed by the users. It is obvious if you looked around that people were doing in on the K1... and to expect that they would want do it on the K2.

THe only motivation I can think of that they don't want you doing this is because they are going to rotate those images when you are connected to whispernet with ads. TiVo puts ads on its menu to increase there revenue. I would not be at all surprised if Amazon started doing this once they have a captive audience of Kindle users.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 11:41 AM   #57
stevenmoy
Zealot

To tompe:

It's painful and really not constructive via this venue. kindle2-feedback [at] amazon.com is the way to suggest and argue for enhancement. If you have looked at things that users ask for from Kindle 1, many improvements have been made on the Kindle 2 front. Amazon has been a customer focus company for a long time, the brand is built around that. Customer feedbacks does matter in Amazon world.

To pilotbob:

The screensaver feature in Kindle 1 isn't on the official list to start with... It's likely that the devs who put it in got in enough trouble already... That's why I have been encouraging users to go through official channel to suggest to Amazon that custom screensaver is a feature they would really want and enhance users' experience. That way, users get what they want and customers can get the proper official support when its needed. Devs are rarely at odds with the users because they want to delight the users as well.
Old 03-05-2009, 05:20 PM   #58
wilsondm2
wilsondm2 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
blank images?

Hi,

first off thanks for the hack - it's wonderful!

It is working fine, kinda, every other image is a blank screen. Did I do something wrong?

Kindle 2 v. 2.0.1 and .03 on the hack.

Dwayne
wilsondm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 05:35 PM   #59
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle
I'm seeing the same blank images. At first, I thought I had done something wrong - the blank image appeared first!!! When I saw wilsondm2's post, I tried sleep/wake/sleep and finally saw my image, so my heart started again. Repeated use of the power key is showing that it's consistently every odd image (1-3-5) that's coming up blank.

Thanks so much for figuring this out - I'd much rather see my puppies than dead authors.
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 05:58 PM   #60
wilsondm2
wilsondm2 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
jpg works too!

Oh, forgot to post - .jpg's seem to work fine!
wilsondm2 is offline   Reply With Quote