Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 01-01-2009, 06:20 AM   #1
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Bizarre problems with mobi2mobi

I've posted a couple of times before that mobi2mobi_GUI has suddenly stopped working, and also that mobi2mobi will not insert the author name on certain files.

The problem with not inserting the author names happens consistently with a series of older books by Lois McMaster Bujold from Fictionwise. As it happens the books don't show the cover either, but I don't know how significant this is.

Anyway, I downloaded another couple of books by Lois McMaster Bujold, and noticed again that the author's name didn't show. I tried to insert the author's name with mobi2mobi GUI, but again the name did not insert. When I then tried to change the author's name on another book - not the LMB books - the program locked up again. That is, when I select a book it just freezes, and I have to use the Windows Task Manager to regain control.

Now here is the bizarre part; mobi2mobi GUI will allow me to convert the LMB books. It does not freeze - it still doesn't insert the author's name, but it doesn't freeze up as it does on the other books.

I've got the latest command line version of mobi2mobi working. I can change the author's name in the books with which mobi2mobi GUI freezes. But the command line version still will not insert the author's name in the LMB books.

I'm frankly bewildered. Any idea what might be going on?

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 08:27 AM   #2
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
If you give me a copy of a book for which mobi2mobi fails to add an author I will test it and see if I have the same problem and fix it in this case (email: tpe@ida.liu.se if you want to email it).

What is the output of mobi2mobi when you try to add the author and what is the output after when you ran just mobi2mobi on the resulting file?
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2009, 05:35 AM   #3
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Many thanks for your response, Tompe. Before I respond to it in this long post I'd like to outline how I spent my afternoon checking some hypotheses.

I suddenly remembered that I had changed the file names of the books I downloaded from Fictionwise before trying to insert the author's names, and wondered if this might have anything to do with the problems I have been having.

So I again downloaded a book I had got from Fictionwise (Bujold-Cetaganda-mo.prc) to the desktop, and put copies into E:\My eBooks and into C:\ebooks leaving the original on the desktop as controls.

I then used the mobi2mobi GUI version and the Mobipocket Desktop Reader on the file in E:\My eBooks and the mobi2mobi command line version on the book in C:\ebooks.

Mobi2mobi GUI and Mobipocket reader.
Mobipocket Reader showed that the books did not have an entry in the author field for the original and renamed files. Although the GUI version indicated that there was a name in the author field after I had converted the files there was no name in the author field when I read it again with the Mobipocket Reader. And I know from past experience that the name does not show when the file is copied to my Cybook.

Mobi2mobi command line version.
As expected mobi2mobi Bujold-Cetagana-mo.prc showed no sign of any author.

When I used the syntax mobi2mobi Bujold-Cetaganda-mo.prc --author "Lois McMaster Bujold" --outfile Cetaganda.mobi Lois McMaster Bujold was inserted into the author field.

The same syntax worked when I renamed the original copy to Vorkosigan06.mobi.

And the author's name shows when I loaded the file to my Cybook.

Conclusions
The GUI version does not insert the author's name on books in this series from Fictionwise, though of course it does work with other books.

The command line version of mobi2mobi command does insert the author's name into books in this series, whether or not the file has been renamed.

It is necessary to define an outfile name.

I should pay more attentions to syntax.

Regards, Alex
Old 01-02-2009, 06:34 AM   #4
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
I have never used the GUI but for some books you first have to convert it to a proper MobiPocket book and then you can add the author.

Maybe I should add some warning if no --outfile is specified when it is needed.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 02:50 AM   #5
AlexBell
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
I have never used the GUI but for some books you first have to convert it to a proper MobiPocket book and then you can add the author.

Maybe I should add some warning if no --outfile is specified when it is needed.
Thanks for all your trouble, Tompe. I really appreciate the help you have given me an others.

I think you'll find that the GUI version automatically makes the outfile a mobi file. Even so it still does work with the older Fictionwise books that have been causing me problems.

I've moved over to using the command line version of mobi2mobi, and am having much greater success. My success rate is better if I make the outfile a prc file - but I stress again that this may only be the case with the Fictionwise books.

And yes, for people who have as much trouble with computers as I do a reminder that the outfile is necessary.

Regards, Alex
Advert