Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-28-2008, 06:37 PM   #1
l1n1234
Enthusiast
l1n1234 doesn't litterl1n1234 doesn't litter

Device: kindle
Comics on Kindle?

Anybody with experience on good work flow for this. I just thought it may be difficult seeing that there seems to be a 64K limit on image size in the mobipocket format. Using the picture viewer option is available but it would be nice to make prc or mobi for TOC.

There seems to be good support for comics on Sony Reader.
l1n1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 08:02 PM   #2
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Amazon sells a few comics for the Kindle and I purchased one, Moon Queen Comics for $.33. IIRC, the comic only displayed one panel per page. I've been meaning to convert some of PDF comics but I expect that it won't work very well on the Kindle's smallish screen. If you could rotate each page and cut it in two parts it might be doable.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2008, 09:42 PM   #3
MoSo
Crankier than average
MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle #1, Kindle #2; internet appliance - The Chumby.
What kind of comics? The regular-size Marvel/DC/Image/Oni/Dark Horse monthly comics and tpbs? Or newspaper-strip-type comics? The former aren't going to work on a non-dynamic 6" screen (especially as there are often entire 2-page spreads).
MoSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 01:03 AM   #4
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
Works terribly, in my experience.

Sony 505 can do... OK, but not great. Busy scenes are VERY hard to follow in 4 shades of grayscale (and even 8).

At any rate, as much as I'd LOVE to see it... it just isn't that usable or pleasant. Maybe those little anime books would work well. But I don't particularly want to read those, in the main.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 10:12 AM   #5
MoSo
Crankier than average
MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle #1, Kindle #2; internet appliance - The Chumby.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
Works terribly, in my experience.

Sony 505 can do... OK, but not great. Busy scenes are VERY hard to follow in 4 shades of grayscale (and even 8).

At any rate, as much as I'd LOVE to see it... it just isn't that usable or pleasant. Maybe those little anime books would work well. But I don't particularly want to read those, in the main.
Now, now, there is some great manga out there - the problem is just finding it. Unlike Western comics, manga is produced with various target markets in mind (by age, gender, genre) and it does take some searching. It's the remembering to read right to left that kills me.

I stick to the laptop with the 15" screen to read comics and graphic novels (using *.cbr and *.cbz files and CDisplay). It's hard enough to read non-sequential pages (2 page splashes or panels read all the way across two pages and then down) on a large laptop.
MoSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2008, 08:19 PM   #6
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
I didn't mean to bash manga, I know there's some good stuff. Just not my thing. And I don't need any new hobbies!
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote