Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-22-2012, 07:43 AM   #1
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
disappearing paragraphs

I have a problem with an epub that contains text in English and Sanskrit (the script is Devanagari). On my KT, there are two fonts that support both languages/scripts, Arial Unicode MS and Sanskrit 2003. Now, the strange thing is that if I change the font to Arial Unicode MS whole paragraphs disappear or to be more precise appear as empty gaps (no question marks, no crossed boxes, nothing). I add 15 paragraphs as an example. All paragraphs are formatted in the same way, and each paragraph contains English and Sanskrit phrases. Paragraphs 1, 3, 6, 8, 9 and 14 disappear when viewed with Arial Unicode MS. This seems alarming to me. Or is there a simple explanation to it?

The paragraphs:
Code:
<p>1. The king of the Vaṅgas lost his life in battle.
<span class="sa">वङ्गानां राजा युद्धे</span> (<span class="sa">मृधे</span> - <span class="sa">संख्ये</span> &amp;c.) <span class="sa">प्रानान्विजहौ</span> or <span class="sa">असुभिर्वियुक्तः</span> or <span class="sa">वियुयुजे ॥१॥</span>
</p>
<p>2. When she saw that dreadful sight, her hands and feet began to tremble.
<span class="sa">यदा सा तद्भयावहं दर्शनमपश्यत् तदा तस्या हस्तौ पादौ चावेपन्त ॥२॥</span>
</p>
<p>3. O Govinda, thou art my life, my joy, my object of pride, my all the world.
<span class="sa">भो गोविन्द त्वं मम जीवितं (प्राणाः), प्रमोदो ऽभिमानास्स्पदं</span> - <span class="sa">हेतुर्मम सर्वस्वीभूतश्च ॥३॥</span>
</p>
<p>4. They became an object of suspicion without any fault of theirs.
<span class="sa">स्वापराधमन्तरेण</span> - <span class="sa">विना</span> or <span class="sa">ऋते ऽपराधात्</span> - <span class="sa">ते शङ्कास्थानं बभूवुः ॥४॥</span>
</p>
<p>5. Good wives are the prime cause of all religious actions.
<span class="sa">स्तयः</span> - <span class="sa">शीलसंपन्नाः</span> - <span class="sa">सुवृत्ताः स्त्रियः सर्वासां धर्म्यक्रियानां मूल</span> - <span class="sa">प्रधान</span> - <span class="sa">हेतुः</span> - <span class="sa">आदिकारणं सन्ति ॥५॥</span> 
</p>
<p>6. Bhīṣma, Droṇa, Kṛpa, Karṇa, thyself, the powerful Bhoja, Śakuni, drauṇi, and myself, constitute, o king, your army.
<span class="sa">भीष्मद्रोणकृपकर्णास्त्वं बलवान्भोजः शकुनिर्द्रौणिरहं च भो रजंस्तव सैन्यं भवामः or स्मः ॥६॥</span> 
</p>
<p>7. When he fell down from his horse, Rāma, Gopāla, and we two were present.
<span class="sa">तस्मिनश्वात्पतति रामो गोपाल आवाम् च तत्र संनिहिता आस्म ॥७॥</span>
</p>
<p>8. Why do you and Kṛṣṇa not  try to finish this work? Is it very difficult?
<span class="sa">यूयं कृष्णश्च तत्कार्यं समापयितुं किं न यतध्वे । अपि तदतिदुष्करम् ॥८॥</span>
</p>
<p>9. Obedience, truthfulness, want of pride, and assiduity in doing his work: these are merits of a servant.
<span class="sa">आज्ञाकारित्वं</span> - <span class="sa">अनुविधायित्वं</span> - <span class="sa">आज्ञानुरोधः सत्यवादित्वमनवलिप्तता</span> - <span class="sa">दरोआभावः</span> - <span class="sa">स्वकार्यतत्परता च भृत्यस्य गुणाः ॥९॥</span>
</p>
<p>10. You, Rāma, and myself passed the time happily in the forest of Daṇḍakā.
<span class="sa">यूयं रामो ऽहं च दण्डकारण्ये सुखेन कालमनयाम</span> - <span class="sa">अयापयाम ॥१०॥</span>
</p>
<p>11. Riches are a source of innumerable miseries in this world.
<span class="sa">अस्मिञ्जगति सम्पदः संख्यातीतानां</span> - <span class="sa">अगणेयानां आपदां पदम् ॥११॥</span>
</p>
<p>12. Paraśurāma, the son of Hari, is the jewel of his class, and the ornament of his family.
<span class="sa">प्रशुरामो हरिपुत्रः स्ववर्गस्य रत्नं स्वकुलस्यालंकारश्च ॥१२॥</span>
</p>
<p>13. Let that man or these boys take this fruit.
<span class="sa">स नर इमे बाला वैतत्फलं गृह्णन्तु ॥१३॥</span>
</p>
<p>14. Hari and I, or you and Kṣṇa, can do this work; neither Gopāla nor his younger brothers can do it.
<span class="sa">हरिरहं च यूयं कृष्णश्च वैतत्कार्यं कर्तुं शक्नुथ । न गोपालस्तस्य कनीयांसो भ्रातारो वा (कर्तुं शक्नुयुः) ॥१४॥</span>
</p>
<p>15. You two, the three servants of Puṣpamitra, and two other men should go to the royal court.
<span class="sa">युवां पुष्पमित्रस्य त्रयो भृत्या अन्यौ द्वौ नरौ च राजसभां गच्छेत ॥१५॥</span>
</p>
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:12 AM   #2
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
Now, the strange thing is that if I change the font to Arial Unicode MS whole paragraphs disappear or to be more precise appear as empty gaps (no question marks, no crossed boxes, nothing).
Umm, don't do that!?!
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert