Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-05-2013, 07:46 PM   #46
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ
JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV PW4 PW3 PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by gargoyle67 View Post
Ah ok, So your saying I need some sort of file explorer installed on my kindle to move the files to the correct root USB location ?
You don't need a file explorer.

/mnt/us/ is where you are when you plug in your Kindle and open it as a USB drive.

Plug in your Kindle, open it, create your bin folder. It will be at the same directory level as extensions:
Code:
/bin/
/extensions/frotz/bin/
/if/Planetfa.z3
JimmyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:26 AM   #47
Jyohomson
Reader
Jyohomson for a long time would go to bed early.Jyohomson for a long time would go to bed early.Jyohomson for a long time would go to bed early.Jyohomson for a long time would go to bed early.Jyohomson for a long time would go to bed early.Jyohomson for a long time would go to bed early.Jyohomson for a long time would go to bed early.Jyohomson for a long time would go to bed early.Jyohomson for a long time would go to bed early.Jyohomson for a long time would go to bed early.Jyohomson for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Kindle 3 3G (Broken), Kindle Touch (Broken), Kindle PW2
The Hitchhiker's Guide

Does anyone have the Hitchhiker's Guide for this thing. Most internet versions dont work.
Jyohomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2013, 02:48 AM   #48
gargoyle67
Addict
gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura
Thanks Jimmy-Jim, But still no luck >

@Jyohomson,
I have the z5 file, Couldn't tell you if it works yet though
gargoyle67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:54 AM   #49
Jyohomson
Reader
Jyohomson for a long time would go to bed early.Jyohomson for a long time would go to bed early.Jyohomson for a long time would go to bed early.Jyohomson for a long time would go to bed early.Jyohomson for a long time would go to bed early.Jyohomson for a long time would go to bed early.Jyohomson for a long time would go to bed early.Jyohomson for a long time would go to bed early.Jyohomson for a long time would go to bed early.Jyohomson for a long time would go to bed early.Jyohomson for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Kindle 3 3G (Broken), Kindle Touch (Broken), Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by gargoyle67 View Post
Thanks Jimmy-Jim, But still no luck >

@Jyohomson,
I have the z5 file, Couldn't tell you if it works yet though
link?
Jyohomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:53 AM   #50
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
No wait.

Gargoyle..

Specifically tell us exactly what you copied where.

Just so I am not duplicating resource here.

Last edited by twobob; 03-06-2013 at 06:55 AM.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2013, 09:45 AM   #51
gargoyle67
Addict
gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura
Thanks twobob, Moved a few files & folders about and I've got it working now
Awesome little mod

Hitchhikers does work with the version I have>

Last edited by gargoyle67; 03-06-2013 at 09:53 AM.
gargoyle67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:17 AM   #52
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ah peachy!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-16-2013, 12:02 PM   #53
icantbebothered
Penguin
icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 5.3.2.1
This may seem entirely off topic, but is it possibe to get a C file to run on K5?

And i so, how?

Last edited by icantbebothered; 03-16-2013 at 12:03 PM. Reason: added some stuff
icantbebothered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:29 PM   #54
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by icantbebothered View Post
This may seem entirely off topic, but is it possibe to get a C file to run on K5?

And i so, how?
TCC - see Geekmaster's posts on the subject.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:21 AM   #55
icantbebothered
Penguin
icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 5.3.2.1
thanks
icantbebothered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:00 AM   #56
BoomStickMuppet
A person
BoomStickMuppet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoomStickMuppet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoomStickMuppet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoomStickMuppet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoomStickMuppet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoomStickMuppet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoomStickMuppet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoomStickMuppet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoomStickMuppet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoomStickMuppet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoomStickMuppet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Greetings all,

I am currently trying to install this on my PW and I am having no luck. I can launch "Start Frotz" from Kual, and then I got a pop up to select which game I want to play. But after I select the game it just closes. The pop up disappears and nothing happens. Any advice? Don't know if it makes a difference but I am on 5.3.4! Thanks
BoomStickMuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:15 AM   #57
twobob

Ill test it on the PW tomorrow then

Haven't tried it on there yet.

Hmm.. Will dig.

EDIT:

Hmm I just tested it. Sounds like it can't find the frotz binary by the crash you describe.

Where did you put it?

Last edited by twobob; 04-09-2013 at 12:44 AM.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:44 PM   #58
BoomStickMuppet
A person
BoomStickMuppet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoomStickMuppet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoomStickMuppet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoomStickMuppet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoomStickMuppet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoomStickMuppet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoomStickMuppet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoomStickMuppet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoomStickMuppet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoomStickMuppet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoomStickMuppet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Hey,

I put it in the folder /mnt/us/bin. It's also got the dialog and .dialogrc files in there.

I just tried it again and once a message popped up saying Story File Read Error or something like that but it flashed to quickly for me to copy it down.
BoomStickMuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:49 PM   #59
twobob

okay... I'll go read the docs again.

I got mine working last night with a little fiddling.
Looking again this morning I managed to break it again lol. (But that's with the new KUAL testing - not frotz) Let me go look what I did.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:13 PM   #60
twobob

okay this is what I have

/media/Kindle/extensions/frotz/menu.json
Code:
{"items": [{
"name": "Frotz",
"priority": 1,
"items": [
{"name": "Start Frotz", "priority": 1, "action": "bin/start_frotz_shell.sh"}
]}]}

Which calls
/media/Kindle/extensions/frotz/bin/start_frotz_shell.sh

PHP Code:
#!/bin/sh
# export PATH=$PATH:/mnt/us/bin

# edit this so it includes where you keep your user binaries
export PATH=/mnt/us/extensions/kterm/bin:/mnt/us/extensions/frotz/bin:\
/
mnt/us/extensions/system/bin:\
/
mnt/us/extensions/system/bin/`uname -m`:\
/
mnt/us/extensions/system/bin/armv6l:$PATH

# I keep my binaries in the kterm path, meh the folder is there anyways why not?
# I also added in the frotz bin folder, no good reason it can't live there neither.
# For this example I will make them live in frotz/bin
# The other stuff is my kual-system stuff, you can ignore it

/mnt/us/extensions/kterm/bin/kterm -/mnt/us/extensions/frotz/bin/frotz_shell.sh 

so that RELIES on the binaries being somewhere "findable" in the $PATH and then...
calls kterm, which in turns calls frotz/bin/frotz_shell.sh... Let's have a look in there...

PHP Code:
#!/bin/sh
sleep 1 # wait a second

size=$(stty size# how big is our window?
set -- $size
h
=$(expr $12# figure out the height only
shift
w
=$(expr $@ - 4# figure out the width only

# edit this to point to where you store your IF story files (*.z5 etc)
export ZCODE_PATH=/mnt/us/extensions/frotz/if # <-- I shoved mine in there, why not?

# edit this to point to the dialog rc file
export DIALOGRC=/mnt/us/extensions/frotz/bin/.dialogrc # <-- And that lives in there too...

# here we call dialog (we set the path though so we are all good...) to get the FILE
# and then shove the absolute path to our "if"s, 
# height and width on the end as arguments to dialog

FILE=$(dialog --stdout --title "Select Interactive Fiction File:" --fselect $ZCODE_PATH$h $w )

clear  # Tidy that junk off our screen

if [ "$FILE!= "" ]; then # assuming we didn't select total junk carry on...
frotz -"$FILE# call frotz (we set the path though so we are all good...) with our shiny FILE
fi # we are done here 

And that's the ballgame.

EDIT: You will NEED some "IF" files. Details here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...3&postcount=23
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:0.0_391.png
Views:	376
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	104114   Click image for larger version

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:0.0_397.png
Views:	356
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	104115   Click image for larger version

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:0.0_394.png
Views:	400
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	104116   Click image for larger version

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:0.0_395.png
Views:	402
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	104117   Click image for larger version

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:0.0_396.png
Views:	361
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	104118  

Last edited by twobob; 04-10-2013 at 08:59 AM. Reason: shiny colour!

Tags
dialog, frotz, interactive fiction, launcher add-ons, ncurses, xterm