Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-25-2007, 07:58 AM   #1
-Thomas-
Addict
-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iRex iLiad v2
Lightbulb Implementing an alternative iDS service

Hi,

while reading this forum I came across many postings regarding the possibilities and impossibilities of the iDS service and/or the release of the iDS protocol. As many others I am unsatisfied with the development status of iDS at the moment.

So I had the following idea: Why don't we implement an "alternative iDS" by ourself, including its own software and distribution protocol? This would not only include the iLiad software itself, but also the needed web services etc.

From the technical perspective there isn't much work to do. One can easily include his own software in the pre-installed iDS procedure (either by overriding the connectionMgr entry in the registry.xml or by adding an --execute paramter to the connectionMgr call). By doing so you could run both services parallel and don't have to replace the existing iDS software.

From the web services point of view we could start with a simple content downloader, but the possibilities are nearly infinite - Sending documents by email directly onto the iLiad, direct uploading via browser, integrating WebDAV, publishing documents directly from the iLiad etc. are only a few ideas. And the best argument is: We don't have to wait for iRex to release their iDS protocol.

If I compare the effort with the benefits, I think the benefits clearly win. So what do you think?
-Thomas- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 04:02 AM   #2
chinaet
chinaet has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iliad Kindle DX
it's a good idea,
chinaet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert