Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-04-2011, 02:46 PM   #1
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Shelfari now more integrated with Amazon

Shelfari is tightening up its Amazon integration. If you already have a Shelfari account, you'll be asked if you want to link it with your Amazon account, and new users will log in with their Amazon credentials.

Shelfari has also made it easier to input books and ebooks purchased from Amazon. It's not automatic, but you can bring up a list of Amazon purchases and check them to import into your Shelfari library.

I know there are some who will think this is More Amazon Evil, since Shelfari is owned by Amazon, but for me, it makes Shelfari more useful by making it easier to add new books. As long as it isn't mandatory and you can choose which books to import, I think this is a big improvement for Shelfari.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 04:09 PM   #2
hedwig
Book Worm
hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad Air, iPad Mini, iPod Touch 5
I like the new integration and I don't think it is invasive as you have the choice of whether to sign in this way or not. It add another layer of service, which is a good thing.
hedwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2011, 04:22 PM   #3
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by hedwig View Post
I like the new integration and I don't think it is invasive as you have the choice of whether to sign in this way or not. It add another layer of service, which is a good thing.
This.
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 04:31 PM   #4
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Is there anyone out there who is using Shelfari who has also used Goodreads? I'm on Goodreads right now, and I really like, but the integration with Amazon is a big bonus for me. I like the social aspect of Goodreads - being able to join a bookclub and read/discuss books every month. Does Shelfari work the same way?
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 05:56 PM   #5
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by queentess View Post
Is there anyone out there who is using Shelfari who has also used Goodreads? I'm on Goodreads right now, and I really like, but the integration with Amazon is a big bonus for me. I like the social aspect of Goodreads - being able to join a bookclub and read/discuss books every month. Does Shelfari work the same way?
I use both. I started with Goodreads, but it quickly became oversaturated with wants, and I stopped keeping up with what I had read. So when I joined Cozy Mystery Corner, and one of their big things is sharing the list of what you read each month, I started a Shelfari account to keep up with those. I am finding I prefer Shelfari, not only because I like the interface better, but I like their groups better. There's one lady on Goodreads in the Cozy groups that drives me up a wall, and she's horribly prolific in her posts so I can't just ignore her.
There's groups on Shelfari, but I don't know how many of them work like bookclubs.

Also: Whoever it was in a previous post, how did you get the Shelfari button for your sig?
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2011, 06:50 PM   #6
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
Also: Whoever it was in a previous post, how did you get the Shelfari button for your sig?
It's kind of DIY. Find a logo image, throw it up on photobucket or wherever, and link it to your account in signature edit panel.

Enter the image location first, then put the URL link outside of it. I'd paste it, but I don't know how to <nowiki> here!
Old 02-04-2011, 07:04 PM   #7
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitearrow View Post
It's kind of DIY. Find a logo image, throw it up on photobucket or wherever, and link it to your account in signature edit panel.

Enter the image location first, then put the URL link outside of it. I'd paste it, but I don't know how to <nowiki> here!
Gotcha, thanks!
Old 02-05-2011, 05:57 AM   #8
hedwig
Book Worm
hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad Air, iPad Mini, iPod Touch 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by queentess View Post
I am on both as well. I joined Goodreads first because of the MobileReads 100 books challenge but them I looked into Shelfari and I prefer it over there. Their interface is great and they allow you to edit book covers and info (which is limited over at Goodreads).
Shelfari has groups that cover almost every imaginable topic and you can discuss books as well - in that respect it is very similar to Goodreads.
hedwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 09:13 AM   #9
teadonkey
Zealot
teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
I'm a GoodReads member but I have trouble keeping up with everything and I'm getting bogged down with update emails. The issue is, I WANT some of the updates, but goodness me. Every time someone reads a book is a bit much, especially when they read a book I'm not interested in.

Is the Amazon integration for shelfari... dangerous? It sounds like it might not be safe? If you're logging into with your Amazon account information, I mean.
teadonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 03:05 PM   #10
whitearrow
Guru

I don't see any way credit card info could be compromised, if that's what you mean?
Old 02-05-2011, 03:29 PM   #11
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by teadonkey View Post
I'm a GoodReads member but I have trouble keeping up with everything and I'm getting bogged down with update emails. The issue is, I WANT some of the updates, but goodness me. Every time someone reads a book is a bit much, especially when they read a book I'm not interested in.
I've discovered recently that you can choose not to receive those updates (I don't remember well but I think it's a tap in your profile).
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 05:29 PM   #12
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by teadonkey View Post
Something in your email settings.
I receive only a few updates for topics I follow.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 05:33 PM   #13
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Does Shelfari allow to create lists of books such as read books, TBRs etc., without limit on the number of books, similar to Goodreads?
Old 02-05-2011, 05:58 PM   #14
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Does Shelfari allow to create lists of books such as read books, TBRs etc., without limit on the number of books, similar to Goodreads?
You made me curious so I went to look . All I see at a quick glance is Have Read, Reading Now, To Be Read, Wishlist, Favorites, and Own. Own and Favorites get added when you fill out what you've read - I haven't put a wishlist together but I'm thinking it might be a good idea. I don't see a place to make custom shelves, though.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:00 PM   #15
astra
The Introvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
You made me curious so I went to look . All I see at a quick glance is Have Read, Reading Now, To Be Read, Wishlist, Favorites, and Own. Own and Favorites get added when you fill out what you've read - I haven't put a wishlist together but I'm thinking it might be a good idea. I don't see a place to make custom shelves, though.
I wonder about number of books you can add to the Have Read l and to Be Read lists.
LibraryThing allows only 200 books for free. If you want more, you got to pay.