Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-21-2007, 09:06 AM   #1
drazvan
drazvan is on a distinguished road

USB serial modules

Hello everyone,

Has anyone tried to build the USB serial module for the iLiad? I was thinking of hooking up a USB HSDPA modem to it (a Huawei E220 a.k.a. Vodafone SmartModem) to connect wirelessly to the Internet. Since the USB port on the upper side of the device can accept a USB stick, I'm assuming it's an USB host port, so in theory it should also accept a USB modem as long as the drivers are there.

Any suggestions?

Razvan
drazvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 01:23 PM   #2
drazvan

Nevermind, I figured it out. And the answer is yes, the port works fine as a USB host and I've been able to connect a USB GPS and a 3G modem from Orange to it using the usbserial module. Nice! .

Razvan
Advert
Old 04-21-2007, 02:33 PM   #3
henkvdg
Groupie
henkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of it

Device: IREX iLiad, Pocketbook Pro 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by drazvan
Nevermind, I figured it out. And the answer is yes, the port works fine as a USB host and I've been able to connect a USB GPS and a 3G modem from Orange to it using the usbserial module. Nice! .

Razvan
Could you post your software (and how to use it)?.
I would like to be able to use a GPS receiver.
The iLiad is nice to have a map and a position indicator.
henkvdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 03:54 PM   #4
drazvan

I haven't really tested the GPS itself, I just know that it's detected and shows up as a serial port. The acm, usbserial and pl2303 compiled modules are attached. Some basic instructions are below, I don't think you can brick the device with them but be careful anyway:

1. Put the files into /lib/modules/2.4.19-rmk7-pxa2-irex1/kernel/drivers/usb/ and run "depmod -a".
2. My USB GPS has a Prolific 2303 chip for the USB to Serial conversion, so I just did "modprobe usbserial", "modprobe pl2303" and then popped it into the USB port at the top of the device. Run "dmesg" and look at the bottom of the output to see if it's been detected.
3. For the modem, I did "modprobe usbserial vendor=0x0af0 product=0x6600" (where Vendor 0x0af0 and Product 0x6600 are the details for my Orange 3G modem (it's a branded Option GlobeSurfer Icon modem) ). Then I plugged the modem into the port on the top of the device. The modem will make 3 ports appear on your device (ttyUSB0, ttyUSB1 and ttyUSB2 if I remember correctly).

I've also compiled the ACM driver in order to connect a CDMA modem that I have here but haven't tested this yet.

Anyway, I also think a GPS application would be interesting to have on the iLiad, it would be like a paper map (more or less ).

Enjoy!
Razvan
Attached Files
File Type: zip acm-usbserial-pl2303.zip (144.0 KB, 495 views)
Old 04-21-2007, 04:10 PM   #5
henkvdg
Groupie
henkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by drazvan
I haven't really tested the GPS itself, I just know that it's detected and shows up as a serial port. The acm, usbserial and pl2303 compiled modules are attached. Some basic instructions are below, I don't think you can brick the device with them but be careful anyway:

1. Put the files into /lib/modules/2.4.19-rmk7-pxa2-irex1/kernel/drivers/usb/ and run "depmod -a".
2. My USB GPS has a Prolific 2303 chip for the USB to Serial conversion, so I just did "modprobe usbserial", "modprobe pl2303" and then popped it into the USB port at the top of the device. Run "dmesg" and look at the bottom of the output to see if it's been detected.
3. For the modem, I did "modprobe usbserial vendor=0x0af0 product=0x6600" (where Vendor 0x0af0 and Product 0x6600 are the details for my Orange 3G modem (it's a branded Option GlobeSurfer Icon modem) ). Then I plugged the modem into the port on the top of the device. The modem will make 3 ports appear on your device (ttyUSB0, ttyUSB1 and ttyUSB2 if I remember correctly).

I've also compiled the ACM driver in order to connect a CDMA modem that I have here but haven't tested this yet.

Anyway, I also think a GPS application would be interesting to have on the iLiad, it would be like a paper map (more or less ).

Enjoy!
Razvan

Thanx !
Advert
Old 04-21-2007, 04:15 PM   #6
Blue
Connoisseur
Blue is on a distinguished road

Do you think bluetooth is possible on the illiad? (with an usb dongle)

Last edited by Blue; 04-21-2007 at 04:24 PM.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 04:28 PM   #7
henkvdg
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue
Do you think bluetooth is possible on the illiad? (with an usb dongle)

look here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8682
Old 04-21-2007, 06:26 PM   #8
Blue
Connoisseur
Blue is on a distinguished road

thx
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 05:43 PM   #9
Jeroen13
Jeroen13 began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad
GPS on Iliad

Quote:
Originally Posted by henkvdg View Post
Could you post your software (and how to use it)?.
I would like to be able to use a GPS receiver.
The iLiad is nice to have a map and a position indicator.
Any progress yet? Anyone using a GPS receiver with maps?
Where to find the software/maps?

Thanks
Jeroen13 is offline   Reply With Quote