Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-30-2013, 08:30 PM   #76
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by taustin View Post
But I find Google to be a bit hypocritical, given what their motto is, and their apparent determination to take over the world. One gets the impression that if they though they could get away with it, they'd recruit an actual army, and make war on anybody who got in their way.
I can't blame Google for being hypocritical. My own company's motto "Damn right we're evil!" was pretty much a failure. We had to execute the entire marketing team.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:45 PM   #77
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluribus View Post
I can't blame Google for being hypocritical. My own company's motto "Damn right we're evil!" was pretty much a failure. We had to execute the entire marketing team.
Well, that just proves you're not really all that evil at all.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:18 AM   #78
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluribus View Post
Well, Google's marketing team consists of a bunch of number crunching computers.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:35 AM   #79
Ankh
Guru
Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I know a lot of people who still use IE. I think they just quietly go about their business most times and stay out of (or are oftentimes ignorant of) browser wars.
The trouble is, those "browser wars" are pushed on us by web servers.

Microsoft never gave up on pushing web development tools that create content which requires IE on the user side. IE users, these days, face a growing number of (not so important) web pages that work better on any other browser. IE quirks and deviations from the standards (which varies for IE versions) are many and web developers are tired of all special handling that they have to build into their designs to support IE. Or a designer fails to test his page with all IE versions.

What was suggested on this topic, not to remove IE from Windows machine that already has it, makes sense. I have a virtual machine with WinXP as a backup solution for stubborn web pages or software solutions that exist only on Windows. It is rarely, if ever, used these days, Linux works very well. Cheap disk space and virtualization, I don't have to give up on anything.

Firefox, or Chrome, or something else? De gustibus non est disputandum.
Ankh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:30 AM   #80
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankh View Post

Microsoft never gave up on pushing web development tools that create content which requires IE on the user side. IE users, these days, face a growing number of (not so important) web pages that work better on any other browser. IE quirks and deviations from the standards (which varies for IE versions) are many and web developers are tired of all special handling that they have to build into their designs to support IE. Or a designer fails to test his page with all IE versions.

What was suggested on this topic, not to remove IE from Windows machine that already has it, makes sense. I have a virtual machine with WinXP as a backup solution for stubborn web pages or software solutions that exist only on Windows. It is rarely, if ever, used these days, Linux works very well. Cheap disk space and virtualization, I don't have to give up on anything.

Firefox, or Chrome, or something else? De gustibus non est disputandum.
Ankh, I'm just starting to explore Linux as a platform for serious photography, so I'm something of a newbie, at least in terms of Linux for personal computing. I'm hoping you have enough experience to explain what appears to be an anomally for me.

I see, that there is an open source project called 'Chromium' available for Linux, and then the standard Google software called "Chrome". Aside from the slightly different screen icons, they appear to offer the same functionality and have the same User interface. What's up with that? Is one preferable to the other?

Once it slowly dawned on me that there was a difference, I opted for the Google version on the assumption that would always be the most viable. but I wonder if I'm missing some subtle difference.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:20 AM   #81
fratermus
e-bookworm
fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, K3, KF2, Touch (dying)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
I see, that there is an open source project called 'Chromium' available for Linux, and then the standard Google software called "Chrome". Aside from the slightly different screen icons, they appear to offer the same functionality and have the same User interface. What's up with that? Is one preferable to the other?
You're on the right track. Chromium is the underlying open source browser project. Chrome has proprietary/closed-source additions from Google which serve its commercial interests. From a casual user's point of view I think the main difference is Chrome comes with flash baked-in and chromium users would use a plug-in to get functionality.

Open software purists would probably be happier with Chromium.

I have both on my machine. I use Chrome as a daily driver, loaded up with whatever extensions I like. I keep stock Chromium on hand in stock form.
fratermus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:20 AM   #82
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Deleted - answered better above by fratermus.

Graham

Last edited by Graham; 04-02-2013 at 11:23 AM.
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:26 AM   #83
fratermus
e-bookworm
fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, K3, KF2, Touch (dying)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankh View Post
[/i].
To be fair, IIS itself isn't requiring a particular browser flavor or version. It's just the bearer of bad news, slinging standard/RFC noncompliant content created by folks who are either clueless or are being forced to do this stuff by a pointy haired boss or clueless client.

It's so silly, just another attempt to get customer lock-in. The silliness of it is exposed when using a user-agent switcher to lie to the site, which happily provides a functional experience.
fratermus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:07 PM   #84
Ankh
Guru
Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by fratermus View Post
You're on the right track. Chromium is the underlying open source browser project. Chrome has proprietary/closed-source additions from Google which serve its commercial interests. From a casual user's point of view I think the main difference is Chrome comes with flash baked-in and chromium users would use a plug-in to get functionality.

Open software purists would probably be happier with Chromium.
It is my understanding that one of the major differences is that Chrome, unlike Chromium, takes advantage of Google network resources whenever possible. Proxies, DNS servers, stuff like that. Chromium is "tame", it behaves like any other browser would, using network services as they are set up by user, or maintained by user's ISP (Internet Service Provider).

Google is all about network presence. If there is something "evil" about chrome, it likely lies on the other side of network void, on Google servers, not on the client's machine.
Ankh is offline   Reply With Quote