Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-09-2010, 04:01 PM   #211
shimz
shimz began at the beginning.

Device: DXg
haha, told u I was a class A n00b
Hope I didn't screw anything up by doing the screensaver hack FIRST
can I do the jailbreak now or should I uninstall? (damnit!!)
shimz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 04:08 PM   #212
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
If you didn't have the jailbreak installed, the ScreenSaver update failed, as you described, it didn't install anything, so you don't have anything to uninstall .

Just do the jailbreak, and then the SS hack, as described in the first post.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2010, 04:17 PM   #213
shimz

works perfectly now
thanks so much!!

EDIT: last question...if I wanna make the ss random I create a new folder inside the linkss folder called "random" ?
Or create a blank file? (not folder) - was unsure of how to do this..

Last edited by shimz; 07-09-2010 at 04:22 PM.
Old 07-09-2010, 04:29 PM   #214
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's a blank file, not folder, yes.

Like the one in this zipfile, for exemple.

And then do a full reboot in order to take the randomization into account .
Attached Files
File Type: zip random.zip (162 Bytes, 340 views)

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-09-2010 at 04:31 PM.
Old 07-09-2010, 04:33 PM   #215
shimz

thanx to you my new DXg is amazing!
cheers!
edit: well I thought it worked, but its not doing 'em randomly.
unziped and put the file (random) in the linkss folder. strange..
no biggie, at least I can use my own SS now!

Last edited by shimz; 07-09-2010 at 04:58 PM.
Advert
Old 07-09-2010, 09:47 PM   #216
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Did you reboot your Kindle? It may also be because my randomization 'code' sucks. A lot.

Check your linkss/screensavers folder. If it's using the randomization code, your screensavers should have a random two to four digits prefix to them. (ie. 245_my_screensaver.png instead of my_screensaver.png).

But since that's done only once, at boot, you'll have to do a full reboot. The framework restart of the autoreboot feature isn't enough (that'll just reset the counter, and show you your first ss).
Old 07-09-2010, 11:19 PM   #217
nka0925
nka0925 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
Dear NiLuJe:
If I would like to replace Droid Fallback Fonts (recommended for Asian glyphs) ( a tiff file about 6MB) to the default fonts, what do I do?

I just replaced Serif_Regular.tiff, but it did not work. Tks a lot!! and thank you for your working!
nka0925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 11:55 PM   #218
mochishiro
mochishiro began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
thanks NiLuJe!

US kindle DXG with 2.5.5 firmware jailbreaks and customizes perfectly with currently posted software - no problem

for new users, just download and follow instructions on first page of this thread step by step.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	.jpg
Views:	560
Size:	834.2 KB
ID:	54899  
mochishiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 01:56 AM   #219
TomF
Kindle Enthusiast
TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3G Graphite, Kindle Fire
Everything worked fine!

I got my Kindle a week ago and last night I successfully installed the screensaver and fonts hack on my K2i. My wife, who just got her K2i yesterday, likes my Helvetica2 so much she wants me to do the hack on hers.

The only thing I wasn't quite clear about was how you actually go about using new fonts, but that was explained a little better at the Kindle Minds site. Now of course it makes perfect sense. I also had to read through the thread as to what you meant by putting the "blank" reboot and random files in the two directories but figured that out quickly enough by just copying one of the other empty files and then renaming it.

for putting this all together in a pretty straightforward manner and all the work that all of the programmers did to achieve this! I don't understand why Amazon has not yet incorporated a way to change fonts.
TomF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 02:45 AM   #220
elmoglick
Groupie
elmoglick doesn't litterelmoglick doesn't litterelmoglick doesn't litter

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX, Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochishiro View Post
US kindle DXG with 2.5.5 firmware jailbreaks and customizes perfectly with currently posted software - no problem
Just to clarify and prevent possible confusion here: There is only one version of the DXG, and it is International. The only US version of the DX was the original white one, which is not currently sold new by Amazon.
elmoglick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 12:05 PM   #221
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nka0925 View Post
Dear NiLuJe:
If I would like to replace Droid Fallback Fonts (recommended for Asian glyphs) ( a tiff file about 6MB) to the default fonts, what do I do?

I just replaced Serif_Regular.tiff, but it did not work. Tks a lot!! and thank you for your working!
Replace all the Serif_*, Sans_*, Mono_* fonts. That should be 12 files in total . (Like in any of the font sets attached to the first three posts here).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-10-2010 at 01:45 PM.
Old 07-10-2010, 01:35 PM   #222
NiLuJe
BLAM!

I updated the first post with links to NogDog's KindleMinds blog posts (Fonts & ScreenSavers), and to the MR wiki which I just finished updating: Fonts & ScreenSavers

Huge thanks to both NogDog & daffy4u for these fine howtos .
Old 07-10-2010, 06:35 PM   #223
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Hey, thankyou to the three of you for making our kindles the best!
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 08:19 PM   #224
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
I asked this on kindleboards but is there a way to change the font size of the home screen? This would make the kindle far more accessible for people with low vision? Like my mum. Otherwise I will have to open the book for her each time she starts a new one and we don't live all that close by.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 08:56 PM   #225
NiLuJe
BLAM!

I'm not sure...

You could always try to tweak the scaling of a font (the one used for the book titles on the Home is Serif_Bold), but I see at least two issues with that:

* That would mess up the bold in books. (Unless you rescale the whole Serif family)
* And, more importantly, if the font is too tall, not sure what happens. The home screen is made for 10 books per page, if the font is too big for that, does it all go kablooey? ^^

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-10-2010 at 09:54 PM.

Tags
fonts, fw3, hack, jailbreak 3.1, niluje's hacks, screensavers, usbnet