Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 04-30-2010, 08:08 AM   #1
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
Courier killed, iPad to blame?

Well for those holding out for a Microsoft Courier, you might want to start changing your plans. Looks like Microsoft axed the project.

http://gizmodo.com/5527442/microsoft...tablet-project
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 08:23 AM   #2
adreamer
adreamer began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 2, Paperwhite 2
What is there to blame here?
adreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2010, 10:19 AM   #3
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
I'd say the iPad gave the Courier new life. Why else did Microsoft float the trial balloon about the Currier in the wake of the iPad announcement? They had already shelved the product -- but they put feelers out to see if there was enough interest to revive it.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 10:34 AM   #4
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

i actually liked the courier, at least the video demo i saw of it. it was an interesting concept and a very different approach to a tablet device. would have waited to try one in my hands before i bought it, but i would have considered it. buy as i've said. i've seen many proposed devices that never made it to market. this is just one more to the list.
Old 04-30-2010, 10:51 AM   #5
jibril
Connoisseur
jibril is on a distinguished road

I think this comment on /. pretty much says it all:
http://hardware.slashdot.org/comment...2&cid=32039100
jibril is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2010, 10:55 AM   #6
scottjl
Reader of Books

what? an top IT company make promises they can't keep? say it isn't so!

funny, but one commenter says "microsoft never announced the product, so they can't really cancel it" pretty much goes along with the comment you linked to. the timing that it was announced when ipad rumors were running wild, and canceled after people have ipads in their hands sure is suspect.

another comment i read said this is exactly why apple doesn't discuss products until they're released. of course that leads to wild rumors and speculation. damned if you do.. damned if you don't..

then again microsoft is the master of FUD.. or is it the republicans..? or democrats..? damn. so many liars..

Last edited by scottjl; 04-30-2010 at 11:05 AM.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:13 AM   #7
scottjl
Reader of Books

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/30/h...mill-says-yes/

Slate killed.. Palm to blame? lol.
Old 04-30-2010, 12:13 PM   #8
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
I'm hoping for the courier that they just decided to scrap that 2 screen design. I never had any interest in it as the screens were too small. I'm basically just waiting for something that's similar in form factor to the iPad, but an inch or so bigger and has an open OS, accessible file system etc.

As for the Slate, I'm guessing with the acquisition of Palm they decided to kill off the Windows 7 slate and will come out with a Tablet running Palm's WebOS. I'd think that was the main reason for their acquisition of Palm.

Hopefully the iPad and it's 10 hour battery life showed them that a Win 7 tablet that was rumored to get 4-5 hours of battery life just wasn't going to cut it. WebOS and Android have a better chance of matching that spec and some other parts of the iPad than a full PC OS.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 12:20 PM   #9
rock
Addict
rock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Nook, Astak EZ Reader Pocket, iPhone 3g, Droid
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
Pretty sure it says right in the article that Windows 7 was not running right on it and that is why they canceled it.
rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 12:50 PM   #10
pagansoul
Fanatic
pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone5, iPad Gen3, Kobo, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
The iPad may not do everything some people want it to but what it does do is smooth. I be the other tablets were trying to be laptops so they couldn't match iPads price and ease of use. And the iPad is unnaturally fast because it doesn't have all those extras. I got my 3G this morning, took over an hour to load (only filled 15GB this sitting). Love it.
pagansoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 12:55 PM   #11
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Yeah, like I said I think this is a good thing as no Tablet running Windows 7 is going to match the slickness of the interface, battery life etc.

Competitors need to focus on using things like Android or WebOS, or developing their own OS designed specifically for a Tablet.

That's how we can get something that has a slick interface, great battery life and hopefully can improve on some of the iPads shortcomings like lack of Flash, the closed file system, closed App store etc.

That's what I'm waiting for. If it doesn't happen I may just end up with a 2nd Gen iPad and deal with the various workarounds and shortcomings.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 05:59 AM   #12
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
I'm basically just waiting for something that's similar in form factor to the iPad, but an inch or so bigger and has an open OS, accessible file system etc.
Just put this as your sig, it will save so much time on here.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 06:06 AM   #13
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
Hopefully the iPad and it's 10 hour battery life showed them that a Win 7 tablet that was rumored to get 4-5 hours of battery life just wasn't going to cut it. WebOS and Android have a better chance of matching that spec and some other parts of the iPad than a full PC OS.
Given the extra features there are probably plenty of people who would be happy with lesser battery life, the question companies have to ask themselves is whether the more features less battery product is what the mainstream wants or if it is more of a niche item that should come later when they expand their range.

Incidentally, there are now other reports on the gagdet blogs stating that the slate hasn't been killed off, so it might be a bit soon to announce it's death.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 10:17 AM   #14
Lotus Esprit
Addict
Lotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad
Microsoft is going to focus on Surface Computing. It is leaps and bounds ahead of anything out there today.
Lotus Esprit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 10:24 AM   #15
cmdahler
Addict
cmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notes

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
I watched that video, and the whole time I was watching it, I kept thinking, "that's just a really big iPad..."
cmdahler is offline   Reply With Quote