Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-28-2009, 07:12 AM   #1
imaji
imaji began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 505
Question Problems with v3.0 of the Ebook Library

Hi All,

I've just brought a PRS 505 (I know, just as the new ones are available for pre-order in the UK!) and love the device.

BUT, I'm hating the software to sync my books to it. I'm on Windows 7 and OS X Tiger and have tried it on both and get the same results. Over the years I've collected a fair number of ebooks in PDF format and I wanted to put most of them on my device. In total they weigh in at around 170MB.

So Added them to the library no problem, then when I try syncing the PRS with the library (OS X or Windows), the library freezes. With the OS eventually popping up a " the app has stopped responding/working" type message.

Is this normal? Should I only be syncing one book at a time? Do people not use the internal memory?

This has seriously put me off the PRS and I'm thinking of taking it back

Thanks in advance
John
imaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 08:45 AM   #2
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
I suspect it is just a slow process. Others have reported that it's not the quickest thing to do, especially the first time.
Try doing a few books and waiting. It should eventually come back.
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2009, 09:43 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Since you are Windows 7, set eBook Library to Vista compatibility and it should work.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 05:29 PM   #4
Michelleg913
Michelleg913 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony E Reader PRS-505R
I am using Vista and I have the same problem. I can run the software download books but as soon as I plus my reader PRS-505 in it stops responding and Windows closes the program. I ti sthe new Version the old reader software worked fine
Michelleg913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 06:36 PM   #5
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Try connecting the Reader first and starting the program after.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2009, 06:40 PM   #6
imaji
imaji began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 505
Thanks for the replies guys.

pthwaite - How big are the books you are using? Mine vary from 500KB to 11MB.
JSWolf - I've tried the XP and Vista compatibility modes. That got the software running, but it still locks up, even on OS X
Michelleg913 - I couldn't get anything other than the V3 to install on my computers
igorsk - i'll give that a go

So do most people just load up a memory card and use that? Software is my day job, and I must say I'm shocked that Sony have released such awful software, I would be ashamed to do so!
imaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 06:50 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm using version 3 with Windows XP and it works fine here.

It is also installed on the laptop with Vista, but I've not really used it there.
Old 08-29-2009, 10:35 PM   #8
cutejules
cutejules began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505 Blue
I've been having the same problems. I did the following:

1. Soft reset
2. Hard reset
3. Reinstalled the new v3 softward
4. Made sure I deleted the "Sony" folder in my C: drive
5. Then I connected my reader to my PC using the cable it came with
6. Everything was fine except when I clicked on the "sync" icon

I thought it was just me and so I kept doing this process...

I finally called tech support this morning and the guy said a lot of people are having problems with the new version. I have a Vista 32 bit BTW. The rep told me not to use the software and transfer books via drag and drop. I can't believe I wasted 3 hours of my Friday for this. Ugh. Apparently they will email me the new updates but it's gonna take them at least 3 weeks. I never liked the software anyway. I think I'll just use Calibre.
cutejules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 03:20 AM   #9
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
imaji,
I'm running the MAC version and my books are typically 0.3 - 0.7Mb.

I must admit I tried the sync and then stopped it as it was trying to do All the books in my library including ones it can't read (Mobi etc) as I had pointed it to my Calibre flies.
(I suppose that's what sync means,)

As Calibre doesn't work with Snow Leopard on the MAC yet I'll be trying the Sony Software a bit more often in the near future though so I'll then be in a better position to assess all it's "quirks"
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 01:57 PM   #10
jpharvey
jpharvey began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
I am also having problem with version 3 of the library software.

I run Vista 64, tried the compatibility mode trick, re-installed at least 5 times and the application never shows up on screen. I launch the program, it is listed in the Task Manager as a process but there is no window that ever shows up. I have a 505 that connects fine with Calibre and Adobe Digital Edition but I use the Library software to purchase new books from the store.

Is anybody else having the same problem? The only option so far is to uninstall and re-install the previous version that used to work fine.
jpharvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 08:33 PM   #11
hike_gc
Zealot
hike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nook
Unhappy Me too!

Just took my new 505 out of the box. I installed the library software from the cd in the box and then upgraded from the Sony site. I am running Windows XP. I can see the program listed in my task manager, but the interface never opens. Bad Sony!

I guess we have no choice but to wait for Sony to fix THEIR problem that became OUR problem.

I'm glad I came to this forum and found others are having the same issue before I wasted my evening on it! I want to play with my new toy!
hike_gc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 08:41 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I am running WindowsXP Pro with no issues at wll running eBook Library 3.0. My suggestion is to stop running everything you run on start. That means no AV, no firewall, nothing.. make it as clean a boot as you can and then try eBook Library.
Old 09-04-2009, 02:01 PM   #13
Idoine
Which book will be next ?
Idoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3 1.5, Sony PRS 600 RC, Samsung Omnia...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I am running WindowsXP Pro with no issues at wll running eBook Library 3.0. My suggestion is to stop running everything you run on start. That means no AV, no firewall, nothing.. make it as clean a boot as you can and then try eBook Library.
I don't think it's a long term solution !
I tried nonetheless and the Library didn't start...
So I've removed the 3.0 version and reinstalled the previous version !
Idoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 06:52 PM   #14
TwiSteDCBloSsoM
Enthusiast
TwiSteDCBloSsoM doesn't litterTwiSteDCBloSsoM doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
I uninstalled it, restarted and reinstalled the old one and the old one is not working right for me.. the whole side bar for where my reader would pop up is missing. I'm going nuts.

I have a trip I'm going on the 19th, and I kinda NEEDED my books on there.

Now if there were other ways to make collections and then drag stuff into collections then I wouldn't be complaining but I have some serious OCD issues and everything needs to be organized and easy for me to find...
TwiSteDCBloSsoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 06:56 PM   #15
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwiSteDCBloSsoM View Post
Now if there were other ways to make collections and then drag stuff into collections then I wouldn't be complaining but I have some serious OCD issues and everything needs to be organized and easy for me to find...
You can do collections in Calibre too.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote