Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-28-2009, 12:22 AM   #1
ratzee
ratzee began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 500
Upgrade from 500 to 505?

I've had a 500 for a couple of years and love it. I travel by plane a lot and use it mostly for textbooks that are converted from PDF using pdf2lrf.

I read reviews of the 700 thinking I'd upgrade, but the screen puts me off. I don't think I'd make much use of the WiFi either, given I use it mostly on planes. So the 505 would seem a better upgrade.

But is it worth the upgrade? The speed of page turns doesn't bother me massively on the 500, so is the extra contrast worth upgrading?
ratzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 12:31 AM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Hard to say. In addition to the better contract you're getting better (still not great) PDF support and epub support if those are useful to you.

Why not see if there's a retailer near you (Borders, Target, etc.) that carries them and go check out the display model.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2009, 03:57 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratzee View Post
I read reviews of the 700 thinking I'd upgrade, but the screen puts me off. I don't think I'd make much use of the WiFi either, given I use it mostly on planes. So the 505 would seem a better upgrade.
What WiFi? The PRS-700 does not have WiFi.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 08:36 AM   #4
ratzee

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What WiFi? The PRS-700 does not have WiFi.
LOL. Sorry, I'd just been reading a Kindle review and decided it wasn't right for me because I didn't need the WiFi!

The other big feature on the 700 is the searching, which I possibly would use, but I'd not use the notes or annotation feature.

There's a Borders near me - I'll swing by with my 500 and do a comparison.

I searched the forum for other posts on 500-505 upgrades but didn't really find anything - has anyone here done it and considered it not really worth it?
Old 03-28-2009, 09:03 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Just a note that the Kindle doesn't have WiFi either. It has "3G" cellular wireless communications, but not WiFi.

As has been said, THE difference between the 500 and the 505 is the screen; it really is quite dramatically better than the 1st generation eInk screen of the 500. Much better contrast, and easily to read in low-light conditions. You can read the 505's screen in pretty much any light that you could read a paperback book; as you know, you need pretty good light to comfortably read the 500's screen.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2009, 12:10 PM   #6
Kosst Amojan
Addict
Kosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to behold

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
I've had my 500 since the day it came out and I'm still happy with it even after playing around with a 505.

For me, the difference simply isn't enough to justify an upgrade, of course the screen is better so it could be for you but feature wise, I don't think it's worth it.

I agree with AnemicOak, find a display model and bring your 500 with you to compare the two.
Kosst Amojan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 05:56 PM   #7
AbFabGab
Gadget-Luster
AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
I believe 505 has pdf reflow while the 500 does not.
(if I'm wrong, someone please correct me!)
AbFabGab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 06:02 PM   #8
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbFabGab View Post
I believe 505 has pdf reflow while the 500 does not.
(if I'm wrong, someone please correct me!)
And it support ePUB which the 500 does not. PDF and ePUB support DRM on the 505 which the 500 does not. This allows library checkout which the 500 does not. And I believe the 8 level gray scale is not on the 500.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 03:29 PM   #9
ratzee

I did as suggested, and just returned from Borders to compare my 500 with the 505 and 700 on display.

As I walked up to the display, my reaction from a good 10' away to the 700 was 'oh, wow, they're right, that screen is BAD'. My first impression was that the device still had some sort of opaque screen protector on the screen. While I liked the speed, and the touch screen was cool, the display was just too poor to be worth any upgrade. It was fuzzy and the reflection from overhead lighting was awful.

I spent about 10 minutes comparing my 500 and the 505. First impressions were that there really wasn't that much difference in the display - the text didn't appear that much darker, and the background, whilst a little 'whiter', wasn't really *that* different. Sure, the pages turned a bit faster, but honestly, that's never been a concern of mine with the 500. Had the page turn been instant, then maybe a different story.

So my conclusion - I'm sticking with the 500. I don't use ePub, using widely available tools to convert PDFs to reader format. If all ePub gives me is DRM content, I'd rather be without it to be honest.

For anyone who is coming into the Sony Reader family afresh, unless you absolutely need the touch screen, I'd recommend the 505. If you've already got a 500, stick with it and wait for the next gen device.