Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-17-2009, 05:27 PM   #1
darkmonk
Connoisseur
darkmonk began at the beginning.

Device: none
Words/screen on iphone vs others?

Hey guys, I've been thinking real hard about what I want to buy, and I recently saw a photo that pretty much made my mind.

Is it true? Can the iphone display as much as a kindle? Because I can read tiny words no problem, I know that. And really, the question is, do you find yourselves flipping pages on the iphone enough for it to be annoying?
Thanks.
darkmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 05:42 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Do you want to read your eBooks on a device that you have to look through a haze of fingerprints to see? Also if you notice, you get LESS on screen as a Kindle. With the Kindle you get 7 lines in the first paragraph and the iPhone takes 10 lines. Plus, the battery life of the iPhone is not good. So as you read, you'll be easily draining the battery and then if you want to make a call, good luck. This is no joke.

Last edited by JSWolf; 01-17-2009 at 05:44 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2009, 05:43 PM   #3
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Not to mention how fast it will die. The battery life when you are using the touch screen is not very long.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 05:45 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Not to mention how fast it will die. The battery life when you are using the touch screen is not very long.
The iPhone is a do it all but not for very long.
Old 01-17-2009, 05:54 PM   #5
darkmonk
Connoisseur

I wasn't aware the battery was that bad; I though you could get a full day's usage from it. Could I read for 5 hours in a 16 hour cycle?
I have no problem with daily charging.
Advert
Old 01-17-2009, 05:55 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkmonk View Post
I wasn't aware the battery was that bad; I though you could get a full day's usage from it. Could I read for 5 hours in a 16 hour cycle?
I have no problem with daily charging.
No way you'll get 5 hours read time. You'll be lucky to get 3 hours.
Old 01-17-2009, 06:02 PM   #7
darkmonk
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
No way you'll get 5 hours read time. You'll be lucky to get 3 hours.
Really? Even with 3G turned off? If I can only use it for 3 hours of intensive use, then I'd disgusted with the iphone. It's not even an option.
Old 01-17-2009, 06:13 PM   #8
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I have an iPod Touch (the non-phone model) and the battery life is pretty good unless I play certain games on it. eReader app is just great and can go for hours. I take it with me all the time when I babysit.

The only time I prefer a larger screen is when I am trying to read on the treadmill or some other situation where I am in motion. For that, I prefer the eBookwise. Other than that though, I have no complaints.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 09:24 PM   #9
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Really? Even with 3G turned off? If I can only use it for 3 hours of intensive use, then I'd disgusted with the iphone. It's not even an option.
Mine drains pretty fast and I don't even use it much. But like ficbot, I'm playing games. And I have no 3G.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 04:13 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
It's the backlight that kills the battery.

However, I think that 3h is a little pessimistic. For video playing (my primary use for my iPod touch) I can easily get 4h from a battery charge, and reading should be less CPU-intensive and hence use somewhat less battery power.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 05:16 PM   #11
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's the backlight that kills the battery.

However, I think that 3h is a little pessimistic. For video playing (my primary use for my iPod touch) I can easily get 4h from a battery charge, and reading should be less CPU-intensive and hence use somewhat less battery power.
On the 2nd Gen Touch, you can definitely read for more 6 hours (with medium screen brightness) on a charge w/ WiFi turned off. That's as much as I've done, and there was power remaining.

Not great, not as good as other PDAs I've used in the past, but not completely horrible.

Still, I prefer my Cybook for long reading sessions.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 05:03 AM   #12
speedygonz
speedygonz began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Depending on the occasion, I switch between a PRS505 and my handy Nokia cellphone with its tiny 2" screen. I typically read novels on the 505 and short stories on the cellphone.
speedygonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 06:25 AM   #13
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
It's not only the amount of letters (and thus sentences) you can get on a screen, but also the readability.

I have a HTC something (my work phone, it's an ugly thing, but, hey, it runs mobipocket) and it will hold only slightly less characters than my PDA. But the letters themselves are much smaller. Which makes it a bit harder to read.

If I look at that picture you added, I'd say it was the same there. The letters are slightly smaller, which makes the letters all crawl up together. Also, the line length is much smaller, which makes it less easy to read (more eye movements as you mustn't only go back to the left, but also have to find the next line).

I think that IPhone could be a nice backup (in case you don't want to take your reader with you), but I wouldn't want to use it for a primary reader.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 12:25 AM   #14
S.Canton
Groupie
S.Canton began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I think reading off of the iphone would get pretty uncomfortable rather quickly, but that's just based on the image you've posted. I've never actually used an iphone to read books from.
S.Canton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 02:27 AM   #15
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
for light reading, the iphone is pretty good. less than 1 hour a day.

the Iphone/touch is also a great all round device that just does every thing.

if you plan on reading more than 1 book a week, than a eink device is in order.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote