Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

View Poll Results: Does exclusive content make a difference to you?
Not really. 45 83.33%
Somewhat. 4 7.41%
Absolutely. 5 9.26%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-11-2008, 04:50 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Kindle exclusive content: Bios on Mrs. McCain and Mrs. Obama

From the WSJ today:

Quote:
Amazon.com Inc. struck a deal with a midsize publisher to offer separate biographies of the two potential first ladies on an exclusive basis to users of Amazon's Kindle electronic-book reader. The two titles, "Cindy McCain: Elegance, Good Will and Hope for a New America," by Alicia Colon, and "Michelle Obama: Grace and Intelligence in a Time of Change," by Elizabeth Lightfoot, are being published as e-books by Lyons Press, an imprint owned by Morris Communications Co.'s Globe Pequot Press publishing unit, based in Guilford, Conn.
Link: Full article

Question: How much of an impact does exclusive content have on your decision to buy a particular e-book reader?
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 04:58 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
Question: How much of an impact does exclusive content have on your decision to buy a particular e-book reader?
Personally? None. I already have several life-times of reading awaiting me.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2008, 07:09 AM   #3
LeserattePD
Enthusiast
LeserattePD doesn't litterLeserattePD doesn't litter

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Kindle 3
Could you add to the poll, if the impact is positive or negative?

Because for me exclusive content is more of a negative incentive.
LeserattePD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 07:20 AM   #4
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
I agree with LeserattePD. It does impact my decision and personal recommendation on which reader to buy but in a negative way.

I don't have a problem if vendors offer exclusive content in the form of early chapter samples or if they come out with books with exclusive bonus content. Exclusive publishing deals are different though.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 08:16 AM   #5
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
None, unless it was really cheap and/or the exclusive content was of interest to me. My reading is very varied, and I know my tastes shhift and change over time. I may lose interest in the exclusive content after only half a year.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2008, 08:19 AM   #6
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
From the WSJ today:

Link: Full article

Not much really. There isn't a lot of exclusive content yet, but if Amazon were to add a large number of exclusive titles it would probably matter to me (if I were still deciding). As far as it being a negative, I don't think so. In general, consumers are attracted by exclusive content, though it's not much of a factor in the eBook market at this point.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 08:27 AM   #7
rixte
Addict
rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: new oasis, paperwhite, ipad, kobo
Even though I have a Kindle, exclusive content annoys me a lot and negatively impacts my buying. Every time I hear about a case like that, I tend to avoid buying from that pubisher and to pick up my books from somewhere other than amazon.
rixte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 08:36 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Exclusive content is bad for eBooks and in this case, bad for Obama and McCain if I was inclined to purchase any of these books. Now I don't have an option to get them for ny 505. And I don't want to haul around hardcover books. This is definitely a bad idea to have exclusive content. It means that when you have timely books like these, having them tethered to just the Kindle is very bad. Amazon, play nice or get out of the eBook business. You've already caused trouble in the past with eBooks. Please stop doing so again.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 09:06 AM   #9
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Michelle Obama is vice president at the Chicaco's Council on Foreign Relations (CFR).

She is member of the 'establishment' like all the other leechers ... I couldn't care less.

Source:

Vice President for Community and External Affairs, The University of Chicago Medical Center

http://www.thechicagocouncil.org/chi..._directors.php
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 10:04 AM   #10
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
It is a war to sell readers, I would expect more of this type thing in the future. Will it change my buying? No, this is like buying a car because you like the station the radio was set to when you took a test drive.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 11:07 AM   #11
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Well ... this is no different from the fact that not all books are available in all formats. But I agree that it is annoying to not be able buy the book you want in the best format for your device. I'd *LOVE* to get past the need to do any format-shifting.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 11:29 AM   #12
MoSo
Crankier than average
MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle #1, Kindle #2; internet appliance - The Chumby.
I don't really care if it's "exclusive," especially since the thought of two hastily put-together bios which are either puff pieces or hatchet jobs holds ZIP interest to me.
MoSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 02:27 PM   #13
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
I know with every exclusive deal amazon lands, the less interested I am in buying any books from amazon. if it gets too out of control at a certain point the pirates are going to become more motivated to crack the Kindle format. Right now with people able to buy most ebooks from stores online there is less incentive for people to crack the Kindle format, but at a certain point I'm afraid they'll go too far.
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 02:49 PM   #14
TheJohnNewton
Addict
TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Boo! I don't want exclusive content. I don't want content that can be read on only one reader. This is not progress this is regression. I already DON'T buy books from Amazon because they are only useable on my Kindle. Lets move forward here not backward.
TheJohnNewton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 03:30 PM   #15
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Well...I bought a Cybook rather than a Kindle partly because of my ill feelings towards what Amazon is doing with these exclusives. Yeah, it's a small and feeble protest vote

The last thing the nascent ebook market needs is balkanization. We need an open format (i.e., ePub) and lots of innovation in the hardware that we read the ebooks on.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote