Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 09-20-2011, 09:13 AM   #1
Maniac
Maniac began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-650
[PRS-650] media.xml - Title from Metadata Plugboard is not used

When transfering files to my PRS-650 it seems the media.xml is build with the information from Calibre and not the altered from the Metadata Plugboard.

In the Metadata Plugboard I replace title with [{series_index:0>2s|| - }{title}]

If I open the transferred epub with Sigil, i can see that the Metadata is updated correctly.

But in the media.xml on the Reader there is still the original title shown. The modification from the Plugboard is not considered here.
Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 09:39 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac View Post
When transfering files to my PRS-650 it seems the media.xml is build with the information from Calibre and not the altered from the Metadata Plugboard.

In the Metadata Plugboard I replace title with [{series_index:0>2s|| - }{title}]
What is your goal?

Maybe the media.xml is developed through the title_sort info. In your plugboard also have [{series_index:0>2s|| - }{title}] to title_sort and see what happens.

Quote:
If I open the transferred epub with Sigil, i can see that the Metadata is updated correctly.
This proves the plugboard works.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2011, 10:13 AM   #3
Maniac

My goal is to prefix the title with the series_index while transferred to the reader. But in Calibre the title should stay without those prefix.
I manage all of my books in collections on the reader. Every serie goes into one collection and books without a serie have "%Novel" as a tag.

With title_sort in the Plugboard the result remains the same.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:11 PM   #4
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
@Maniac,

I have a PRS650 and it works fine for me.

How are you viewing the book titles on the reader? Is it via Home - Books - see all?

Have you set Preferences - Sending books to devices - Metadata management to Automatic management?
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 08:14 AM   #5
Maniac

I just tested it with automatic management, but the result stays the same.

The title inside the epub is updated, but the title and titleSorter which is written into the database/cache/media.xml is still the original title from calibre before the Plugboard altered them.
The PRS-650 displays the values found in the media.xml and not the one found in the epub.
Advert
Old 10-08-2011, 09:49 AM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

To start What is your goal?

I have a 950 but your 650 should react the same way.

Quote:
I just tested it with automatic management, but the result stays the same.
Exactly what did you "just test?" Since using plugboards on the Sony x50 series works for everyone else you need to be very specific in what you're doing and what you're seeing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Quote:
The title inside the epub is updated, but the title and titleSorter which is written into the database/cache/media.xml is still the original title from calibre before the Plugboard altered them.
How are you viewing the book titles on the reader? Is it via Home - Books - see all?
Forget whether or not the media.xml is written to. Tell us what you see and what view you are using to view the list as jackie_w asked.

Putting the series index like you suggest at the front of a title has many downfalls. Sort by title all 01 series books are at the front (see attached). Sort by author the books are in the book added order (see attached). Sort by filename is closer unless the author has more than one series on your device.

Personally I use the following plugboard:

Code:
device_db
PRS505
{author_sort} {series:| - | } {series_index:05.2f} -> author
{author_sort} {series:| - | } {series_index:05.2f} -> author_sort
This plugboard gives you sort by title that is by title (see attached) and a sort by author that has all series by an author in order (see attached). Combine this with the following tweak:

Code:
# Specify how SONY collections are sorted

sony_collection_sorting_rules = [(['series'], 'series_index')]
And all collections created by series are in series order, even series by multiple authors.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Books by title (series index prefix).jpg
Views:	350
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	77459   Click image for larger version

Name:	Books by author (series index prefix).jpg
Views:	341
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	77460   Click image for larger version

Name:	Books by title.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	77461   Click image for larger version

Name:	Books by author.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	77462  

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 10-08-2011 at 09:55 AM.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:14 AM   #7
Maniac

My goal is that the title is displayed with the series_index prefixed. Like "xx - title". For a future improvement i would like that the collections use the titleSorter field and the book view uses the title field. I already created a feature request at PRS+ for this behaviour.

My last test was the following.

- metadata management set to automatic
- in the plugboard if used this rule with format epub and device PRS505 the target fields are title and title_sort
Code:
[{series_index:0>2s|| - }{title}]
- formatted the internal memory of the reader
- send all books with calibre to the reader
- the books are displayed without the series_index in the book view (Home - books - see all) and in the collections
- reattached the reader to the pc, calibre updated the metadata (nothing changed in calibre since sending the books the first time)
- in both views the titles are still displayed without the series_index

The books in the series are displayed in the correct order in the collections. But I try to display the series_index too.

As far as I understand the PRS-650 always displays the title which is written in the media.xml and not the title written in the epub itself. The title in the epub itself is updated according to the plugboard, but the PRS-650 only uses this title if it scans the books itself.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:35 AM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
- metadata management set to automatic
- in the plugboard if used this rule with format epub and device PRS505 the target fields are title and title_sort
Code:
[{series_index:0>2s|| - }{title}]
That is your problem Format has to be set to device_db.

I think you might find my plugboard in the previous post more to your liking.

Good Luck.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 10-08-2011 at 10:59 AM.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:57 AM   #9
Maniac

Thank you for your support. With device_db everything works now like i want it.
Old 10-08-2011, 11:01 AM   #10
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Thank you for your support. With device_db everything works now like i want it.
Your welcome, glad you got it sorted out.