Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 03-01-2008, 03:21 PM   #46
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty View Post
I stumbled into a similar problem. So, is the safest way to use the card to boot up completely, then insert the card? Or is it better to insert the card and then power up?

If the problem is large cover-art on the book, is there a way to scrub the picture or reduce its size?
If something is safer it should be booting with the card inserted but it probably does not matter.

"mobi2mobi --gen3imagefix --outfile fixed.mobi in.mobi" will solve the problem.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 08:33 PM   #47
Kitty
Kitty began at the beginning.

Device: Aaahhhhahahahaha! It's heeeee-rrre! ... oh. CyBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
...And if the large file gives you a problem, delete it.
If the large file is cover-art for a book, how do I know which file to delete? Or must I delete the entire book without reading it (anathema!)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe
"mobi2mobi --gen3imagefix --outfile fixed.mobi in.mobi" will solve the problem.
<< Techno-challenged ... where does this fix go? and how do I get there?

Thanks!
Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 09:51 PM   #48
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty View Post
If the large file is cover-art for a book, how do I know which file to delete? Or must I delete the entire book without reading it (anathema!)?

<< Techno-challenged ... where does this fix go? and how do I get there?

Thanks!

Ouch! Did you 'create' the ebook using either Mobigen, Mobipocket Creator or BookDesigner? If so, re-create using one of the settings which automatically re-sizes the image to smaller. If not, I *think* I saw someone discussing a tool to resize Mobi image files on the fly, but I can't remember which thread.

D'Oh! I *should* READ your entire post before responding. Yes, you can find Mobi2Mobi discussed in the Sony sections.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 03:07 PM   #49
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
Ouch! Did you 'create' the ebook using either Mobigen, Mobipocket Creator or BookDesigner? If so, re-create using one of the settings which automatically re-sizes the image to smaller. If not, I *think* I saw someone discussing a tool to resize Mobi image files on the fly, but I can't remember which thread.

D'Oh! I *should* READ your entire post before responding. Yes, you can find Mobi2Mobi discussed in the Sony sections.
mobi2mobi is part of MobiPerl and you should check the thread in Content about it. It can be used to resize image size for images in a MobiPocket file. Now there is a new parameter in this since the lates build of the firmware might have fixed the image size problem.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 02:05 AM   #50
Mikeyboards
Connoisseur
Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: CybkG3; iPads; Kindle PW2, Fire; NookGlow; KoboGlo, Aura HD, Aura One;
Getting unfrozen

Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents about some ways I've managed to unfreeze my Cybook Gen3, the couple of times it's become unresponsive. (Stuck in the splash screen, or whatever, and will not turn on or off with the on/off button.)

On one occasion, I tried the reset button (located on the back of the unit, pressing with the end of a paper clip or a ballpoint pen), and it wouldn't reset. So then I tried using the reset button in combination with the On/Off button, and that rebooted the Cybook. (Holding down both of those buttons at once.)

On another occasion, the previous solution would not work. So I tried different button combinations. The magic combination was pressing and holding the On/Off button and then pressing the Back button. (Button 2nd from the bottom on the left edge of the unit.) Pretty sure it was that particular button, and pretty sure it was in that order. But apparently, trying different button combinations simultaneously can sometimes get you out of send-it-back-to-Bookeen mode!
Mikeyboards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 02:31 AM   #51
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyboards View Post
So then I tried using the reset button in combination with the On/Off button, and that rebooted the Cybook. (Holding down both of those buttons at once.)
I can imagine that this seems to work. The 'reset' button is not a reset, but a forced 'real power off'. The page in view stays visible because without power it can't be blanked. That is the way e-paper works. So if you push the both you probably end up with a power off by the reset button, followed bij a power on from the on/off button. Of course it will only work if you release the reset slightly before the power button. If you do it the other way around you will switch the unit off

Last edited by Ortep; 06-27-2008 at 02:34 AM.
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 02:52 AM   #52
Mikeyboards
Connoisseur
Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: CybkG3; iPads; Kindle PW2, Fire; NookGlow; KoboGlo, Aura HD, Aura One;
Yes, I was noticing that somebody mentioned that the reset button doesn't reboot, per se, and that you need to turn the unit on afterwards. But I'm pretty sure I tried using the On button after initially trying the reset button, and it wouldn't respond.

Still, I could be wrong; could be misremembering the precise order of occurrences during the mini-panic episode when my new reader was unresponsive.
Mikeyboards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 04:46 AM   #53
lapo
lapo began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Exclamation

Q: In the "font size" dialog, how do I see which size I'm selecting? The text goes out of the page and I can't see the radioboxes at the left of the text size samples.

A: Switch to English language. The current Italian version (firmware 802, AFAIR) translates "Font Size" to "Dimensione Carattere" which is a correct translation but it's too long of a string in the biggest size visible in the dialog and forces the dialog width out of both sides of the screen, hiding radioboxes from view.
lapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 07:17 PM   #54
shleepy
shleepy began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3, iPhone 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlincho View Post
Q: What for showing Cyrilic text in CYBOOK in different formats.

A2: simple TXT files in ASCII format can be viewed by using fonts found HERE for win1251 or KOI8 encoding.
Link is down... can someone please post a link to fonts that would work for Cyrillic (Russian)?
shleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 11:18 AM   #55
ali_s_nasir
ali_s_nasir began at the beginning.

The Bug: My Cybook Gen 3 freezes with the second screen (the one with three dots). When I use the reset button it restarts and ends up with same display. The on/off button doesn't respond. Tried to reflash (796fmt), but that didn't work either.

The solution: Have no clue and open for help and suggestions!
ali_s_nasir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 07:26 AM   #56
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
contact Bookeen at support at bookeen dot com, if I understand well you Cybook is newer than the 796fmt firmware and until bookeen didn't provide a newer updater, the only solution you have is to contact them and they will provide you hints for this.
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 02:27 AM   #57
ali_s_nasir
ali_s_nasir began at the beginning.

Thanx for the tip Godzil, I already contacted them but they were too slow and didn't offer anything new to help. So I shipped the Cybook to them and waiting for a new one (that hopefully works).
ali_s_nasir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 02:39 AM   #58
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
If you send your CyBook without a RMA I don't think they can do something for you.. We will see... (but such a discution is more for another thread than here)
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 02:23 PM   #59
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Device: whatever
Quote:
Originally Posted by ali_s_nasir View Post
The Bug: My Cybook Gen 3 freezes with the second screen (the one with three dots). When I use the reset button it restarts and ends up with same display. The on/off button doesn't respond. Tried to reflash (796fmt), but that didn't work either.

The solution: Have no clue and open for help and suggestions!
This could very well have been nothing more than a low battery. What you describe happens with my Cybook when the battery is low. Plugging the Cybook up to AC power has resolved the issue for me every time.

I have come to realize that the battery indicator is not always as reliable as I expect it to be, probably because the battery indicator is only refreshed when you refresh the screen (by a page turn). But this behavior usually happens when I have not been reading for a while and then I turn the device on. At that stage, I don't remember what the battery indicator showed and then I never see it, because the device hangs up and does not progress through the booting up screens.
ProfJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 05:35 PM   #60
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
Yes, I agree, that appears to happen with me too. A recharge does appear to fix it, even a 5min charge will allow it to work again, though you need to be "plugged in" to continue
It's funny, because the battery lasts so long, you tend to forget it needs charging, I leave mine for a couple of weeks at a time on occasions and usually there is plenty charge left, but occasionally I then get the 3 dots to nowhere page and have to action as above.
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote