Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-01-2018, 07:18 AM   #106
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
January Update

Goals:

Length Goals:
Total Books: 50 (stretch goal of 75) | Total Pages: 25,000 | TBR Reduction: 25
Substantive Goals:
Read at least 51% non-American authors | Read more female/gender-fluid authors than male | Read at least 52 short stories | Read at least 10 of the New Leaf Book Club selections | Complete a re-read of the Pevear and Volokhonsky translation of War and Peace

January Totals:

16 books - 32% of my goal - on target
9 short stories - 17% of my goal - on target
4,380 pages - 17% of my goal - on target
52% female authors / 48% male authors - on target
71 % US authors / 29% non-US authors - WAY off target. The short stories are killing this balance.
47 of 365 chapters of War and Peace complete - on target
TBR Reduction: Reduced by 6 - 24% of my goal - on target

I might need to rethink my targets...

Last edited by astrangerhere; 02-01-2018 at 07:28 AM.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 01:51 PM   #107
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I'm on track to read >200 books. WAY beyond my target, so good on that one. And good on keeping track--I've managed to update my LIst Thread page at least every few days.

The New Leaf Book Club has just started, but I've read the book for this month, plus at least two others that were nominated, so I'm doing well there.

However. On reducing my TBR and buying fewer books? Abysmal. Simply abysmal. The excitement and fun around the new book club has me discovering all sorts of books I want to read. Fun, but not good for the TBR.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 01:47 PM   #108
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
I read six books for January, two were for my fantasy challenge. The next book will be the Mists of Avalon, by Marion Zimmer Bradley.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 04:27 AM   #109
Erickem
Erickem began at the beginning.

Device: Angela
This year isn't starting off well. It's looking like I'll have 2 abandoned books before completing one.

My website: lông mày ngang hàn quốc

Last edited by Erickem; 04-10-2018 at 04:28 AM.
Erickem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 12:34 PM   #110
June
Addict
June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Oasis 1&2 and others
Read about the target amount in January - but managed to grow m TBR in January AND February....
June is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 10:35 AM   #111
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My fantasy challenge has been going well so far, still reading first books in a series. Next , Crystal Cave by Mary Stewart. I've read one of her mystery books last year, I had no idea she also wrote fantasy.
Old 02-13-2018, 03:26 AM   #112
Lusitanic
Leader
Lusitanic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lusitanic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lusitanic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lusitanic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lusitanic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lusitanic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lusitanic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lusitanic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lusitanic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lusitanic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lusitanic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura, One Plus 5
Last year's goal was 40 books and I read 45, this year's goal is 45.

I have read 4 so far...running a bit late...

This year I'd like to read a few books on politics, a few books on AI and tech. The cyberpunk/zombie theme will likely prevail when it comes to fiction, but I want to read off one or two literary classics and experiment with authors from different countries.
Lusitanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 01:31 PM   #113
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
This is not going well...

I've bought or acquired 36 books, but only read 23. Wrong direction! OTOH, the New Leaf Book Club is the primary cause of this. I'm having so much fun with the Themes that it's driving book acquisition. And reading -- already my NLBC related reading is 25% of my total. And I can see that percentage rising, not falling, as the year goes on.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 12:00 PM   #114
Wearever
Wizard

I have been reading first books in a series for my fantasy challenge, however I just found a prequel book for the " Wheel of Time Series " I 'll read " New Spring " the prequel next. I don't usually read prequels, but since I've only read the first book in the series, I felt I should know more of the background on these mysterious characters, going forward.
Old 02-28-2018, 11:44 AM   #115
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I thought I was having a reading slump. But looking at the statistics it turns out I'm not. According to Goodreads I'm one to two books ahead of reading 100 books this year, normally I have managed to get ahead more by the end of February. However, I didn't read much last week due to a nasty cold. But I did manage read more than average for February. And my average book length so far is 402, my average from 2012 until now is 365, so that'll explain the lower book count.

I did well on my series this month. Using a randomizer app to choose which series to read next. If I keep going like this I'll meet my series goals easily.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 11:50 AM   #116
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
But this year, if January is any guide, I'll be lucky to make it to 100!
Only 7 books read in February, and one of those was abandoned!

16 books read.
36 books bought (although 7 were not added to my TBR because they were old favourites)

I'm clearly not doing well at reducing my TBR pile this year.

Last edited by pdurrant; 02-28-2018 at 12:52 PM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 01:43 PM   #117
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
I'm keeping pace, it looks like. Ten months to go.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 02:48 PM   #118
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
A very quiet February for me. Only five books read, one of which was a novella, and no books bought at all (although still five in, via freebies and loans, a break-even overall). I think dropping my daily short story is starting to show.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 08:30 AM   #119
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Goals:

Length Goals:
Total Books: 50 (stretch goal of 75) | Total Pages: 25,000 | TBR Reduction: 25 (stretch goal of 50)
Substantive Goals:
Read at least 51% non-American authors | Read more female/gender-fluid authors than male | Read at least 52 short stories | Read at least 10 of the New Leaf Book Club selections | Complete a re-read of the Pevear and Volokhonsky translation of War and Peace

Aggregate Totals (including both Jan and Feb):

32 books - 61% of my goal (43% of stretch goal) - on target
18 short stories - 35% of my goal - on target
8,239 pages - 33% of my goal - on target
47% female/nonbinary authors / 53% male authors - off target - A number of classic short stories pulled this down in Feb.
60% US authors (down from 71%) / 40% non-US authors (up from 29%) - off target but making gains
95 of 365 chapters of War and Peace complete - on target
TBR Reduction: Reduced by 13 - 52% of my goal (26% of stretch goal) - on target

Geeky Charts attached. (But not too geeky - I only posted 4 of the 10 charts my spreadsheet generates )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Feb Pages Book.PNG
Views:	212
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	162556   Click image for larger version

Name:	Feb Pages Shorts.PNG
Views:	211
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	162557   Click image for larger version

Name:	Genre Breakdown.PNG
Views:	203
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	162558   Click image for larger version

Name:	Challenge Progress.PNG
Views:	197
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	162559  

Last edited by astrangerhere; 03-01-2018 at 09:35 AM.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 03:49 PM   #120
Wearever
Wizard

I'm quite surprised that I read 6 books again in February. Last year I couldn't break 4 books a month. Don't know what I'm doing different. Maybe I'm just reading faster this year ? Or perhaps I'm reading longer and haven't really noticed. Either way I might just go beyond my 52 book goal. Then again anything can happen by January.