Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-07-2017, 01:32 PM   #1
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Question: Getting converted non-Amazon eBooks onto a PaperWhite

I'm looking for advice on putting non-Amazon purchased eBooks onto a Kindle. Specifically, one of the PaperWhites that are current on sale (2017-10-07). Is this the model that people are calling "PW3"? I was thinking of buying one of these to supplement/replace my Nook ST while the PaperWhites are on sale.

I have eBooks that I converted from ePub to AZW3/Mobi in Calibre. I would want those on this PaperWhite. I recently purchased a Kindle Fire HD8 and did not have success in getting these converted eBooks onto that device. I could get them there physically, but they wouldn't show up on the Kindle app book listing. I am hoping for better results if indeed I decide to buy one of these PaperWhites.

(BTW - My solution to problems getting converted eBooks onto the Kindle Fire was to abandon the Kindle app there, and install a Nook app instead - no problem getting eBooks to display in the book listing when using the Nook app.)

I would assume I can directly send books from Caliber to the PaperWhite via USB cable. Will these show up in the PaperWhites book listing? Would they show up there by default, or do you have to jump through hoops to get them listed? I am asking specifically about my non-Amazon eBooks that I converted to AZW3 (or I could reconvert them to Mobi if required). Not eBooks bought directly from Amazon.

Thanks!
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 01:42 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
No problem at all. I buy literally hundreds of books in ePub format (from Baen), convert them to AZW3 format in Calibre, and send them to my Kindle via USB. Never had any issue with it at all.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 01:58 PM   #3
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the quick reply. I see that you list a Kindle Voyage as one of your eReaders. This is a more sophisticated device than the PaperWhite I am looking at. Would your comments on ease of book transfer to your Voyage also hold true for the lesser PaperWhite?
Old 10-07-2017, 02:05 PM   #4
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
Thanks for the quick reply. I see that you list a Kindle Voyage as one of your eReaders. This is a more sophisticated device than the PaperWhite I am looking at. Would your comments on ease of book transfer to your Voyage also hold true for the lesser PaperWhite?
Yes. This is the same for all the kindles.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 02:17 PM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
It is a different physical implementation but what you are asking about is determined by the firmware behavior.
All touchscreen Kindles (except the original Kindle Touch and the original Kindle Paperwhite) run the same firmware.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 02:24 PM   #6
haertig
Wizard

Thanks. Great forum here - lots of helpful folks and about the quickest replies to questions that I've ever encountered. You all are great!

PaperWhite ordered. Will be here Monday. Now I just have to figure out how to tell the wife, "Yes, I have a Nook ST, a Kindle Fire HD8, and a PaperWhite. I really DO need all three of these!"
Old 10-07-2017, 03:15 PM   #7
haertig
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I buy literally hundreds of books in ePub format (from Baen), convert them to AZW3 format in Calibre, and send them to my Kindle via USB.
I'm going to have to do some searching on this website to find how you and others organize this many books on your Kindles. Organization in Caliber on my PC is easy and flexible. On my Nook ST, not so much. You have bookshelves, but they're a real pain to maintain. I have found no way to use Calibre to assist in Nook ST shelving.

I will have to learn the Kindle way of doing things via Collections. I am just starting to research this. The problem is, you find all kinds of differing information via Google searches. I think this probably has to do with older models, different firmwares, and who knows what else. One person says you can't use collections for non-Amazon books. Another says you have to jailbreak the device to use come Calibre plug-in. Another says the newest firmware cannot be jailbroken. Someone else says it can be.

I will search this website for tips on how to organize. Or if anyone has any links to this already, I'd love to see them.

My original plan was to keep my library on my PC using Calibre, and then only download a small number of books to my old Nook ST or my new PaperWhite. A small number of books would not require organization. Over time I would be frequently using Calibre to remove and add books to the client device(s). Since I don't read that fast, and don't really have a need for all of my book collection to be on a client device at one time, this plan may work fine for me. But still, I'd like to know how others organize their large collections on a client device.

Jeez - you learn/buy one new thing, and then you have to go research fifteen additional topics to figure out how to use it efficiently. All the while you are having to do battle with Amazon/B&N/Google who each want to keep you locked into their ecosystems, and appear to be doing everything possible to make your life miserable for trying to use other retailers/suppliers. Such is life I guess...
Old 10-07-2017, 03:24 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The only level of organisation that interests me is arranging books in series, and I do this with a "metadata plugboard" in Calibre to prefix the title of a book with the series name and number. (Eg "Miss Marple 1 - The Body in the Library").
Old 10-07-2017, 03:26 PM   #9
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks. Great forum here - lots of helpful folks and about the quickest replies to questions that I've ever encountered. You all are great!

PaperWhite ordered. Will be here Monday. Now I just have to figure out how to tell the wife, "Yes, I have a Nook ST, a Kindle Fire HD8, and a PaperWhite. I really DO need all three of these!"
That one is easy to answer also.
You are allowed one electronic gadget for every ten pairs of shoes in her closet.
(or some similar equivalency relationship)

Last edited by knc1; 10-07-2017 at 03:28 PM.
Old 10-07-2017, 03:33 PM   #10
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
That one is easy to answer also.
You are allowed one electronic gadget for every ten pairs of shoes in her closet.
(or some similar equivalency relationship)
That would give him a half a device here on the shoes.
My weakness is kitchen stuff.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 04:53 PM   #11
haertig
Wizard

Shoes won't work for my wife. More of a tomboy. But I can bring up her horses - cost a fortune to feed and take care of! - and her ice hockey playing - you wouldn't believe that a silly wooden stick (or whatever they make those things out of) would cost hundreds of dollars. And they get broken and thrown away quite regularly. Don't even start in on what the skates and pads cost. So I'm already well covered on the financial aspects of fairness for a new eReader for me. But that doesn't matter, I'll probably still get in trouble anyway...
Old 10-07-2017, 04:59 PM   #12
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Shoes won't work for my wife.
- - - -
I'll probably still get in trouble anyway...
I was once married myself.
I recognize that there can be marital no-win situations.
Old 10-07-2017, 05:10 PM   #13
haertig
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
I recognize that there can be marital no-win situations.
Actually, I'm mostly just joking around. My wife won't care about a new PaperWhite. SHE's the one who signed us up for Amazon Prime, so of course she has to expect me to be tempted by these Prime member sales they have from time to time!

Oh, yeah. And I saw a RavPower portable battery charger on sale on Prime today too. Bought that as well. We wouldn't want my new PaperWhite to run out of juice, now would we?!
Old 10-07-2017, 05:51 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Yes. This is the same for all the kindles.
No, it's not. The original Kindle, Kindle 2, and DX models cannot handle KF8.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 05:52 PM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

All Kindles currently sold, Jon.