Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 08-03-2010, 12:05 PM   #1
nelson7lim
Connoisseur
nelson7lim began at the beginning.

Device: nook
can someone update me about the latest nook?

hello.. i heard about stuff about the nook and saw a drop in price. can someone give me some updates about it? i'm looking to buy a e reader.
nelson7lim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 01:39 PM   #2
AndyfromVA
Zealot
AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook 1E, K3, K4, Paperwhite 2
Uhh, there's only been one version of The Nook. There have been a few firmware updates though. Maybe you're confusing The Nook with Amazon's Kindle?
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2010, 01:48 PM   #3
iandix
Addict
iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.

Device: nook touch a Nook 3g (rooted) and a nookcolor (rooted)
unless he is talking about the nook wi-fi only model
iandix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 01:51 PM   #4
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
My husband and I bought his n' her nooks just 3 weeks ago. We love them! We both got the WiFi only model at $149.

If you aren't yet sure what reader you want, well, nook is a good one. Look for recent reviews, because a lot of early review issues have been corrected or improved on. It's a nice reader these days, though the new Kindle 3 has good points too.

I particularly wanted the ability to borrow ebooks from my library and nook is great for that! I also like the ability to expand the memory and the user changeable battery. I love the touchscreen and swiping to turn pages!

However, there is still lack of support for organization or searchability in the My Documents folder on nook for your side loaded content unless you root it. I'm hopeful this will be addressed in an update soon.

Being a new owner, others might be able to tell you more.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 03:06 PM   #5
AndyfromVA
Zealot
AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I love the touchscreen and swiping to turn pages!
I love it too. It also prevents the page turning buttons from being excessively worn, which has been known to cause cracks in them.
Advert
Old 08-03-2010, 03:23 PM   #6
curio
Enthusiast
curio began at the beginning.

Device: nook Wi-Fi
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyfromVA View Post
It also prevents the page turning buttons from being excessively worn, which has been known to cause cracks in them.
But only with first-gen models, AFAIK. There's been a design change and no such occurrence since.
curio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 04:37 PM   #7
TereLiz
TereLiz began at the beginning.

Device: nook 3G+WiFi
I love the touch-screen to scroll, too. I barely use the buttons, which are very quiet, anyway. A very soft click.

I bought the 3G version, and love that I could sideload all my pdf files into My Documents. I had a bunch of ebooks in that format that I never read because I don't like reading them off my laptop for too long. I can read e-ink all day!

Just wish my library had more e-books.
TereLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 04:55 PM   #8
AndyfromVA
Zealot

Quote:
Just wish my library had more e-books.
My library system has 2700, but I'm only interested in a small percentage of them. My hope is that, with the increased demand for e-books, the libraries will make more available.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:33 PM   #9
7tronics
7tronics began at the beginning.

Device: Pandigital Novel (1GB); Sony PRS-600; Augen "The Book" (returned)
PDF on Nook built-in reader and available with APDFViewer

Anyone have experience with APDFViewer (can be install using rooted kernel) to compare with Nook built-in PDF viewer?

Best review I've seen so far is from VMGuru guy here in second of 2 part review, but he didn't compare APDFviewer.

Best, Mark
7tronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:12 PM   #10
nelson7lim
Connoisseur
nelson7lim began at the beginning.

Device: nook
thanks people for all those information. the nook sounds really great. really.. my heart is already on the nook. and it looks really pretty too.

but, is it a problem to buy outside the US? like from Singapore?
nelson7lim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 01:02 AM   #11
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; Nook HD; Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
Problem? No. You'll just need to pay more and wait longer to get it.

Barnes & Noble don't sell the nook outside US, so you'll have to use the services of a freight forwarder like USUnlocked, or any cheaper local alternative you know of. Alternatively, you could have someone you know in the US receive it on your behalf and then ship it out to you.
afa is offline   Reply With Quote