Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-07-2010, 01:10 PM   #1
avinatbezeq
Connoisseur
avinatbezeq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.avinatbezeq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.avinatbezeq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.avinatbezeq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505, KDXG
DX vs Graphite VS Sony PRS 505 - Screen Quality

Hi All,

I own a Sony PRS 505, and consider switching to the DX because the screen is too small for me.

The issue is that I've seen the picture of the DX vs the Graphite and I'm astonished to say that the DX display looks terrible compared to the Sony, and the Graphite looks medicore.

Now, this is not a Sony-head trying to start a religeous war. I WANT to buy the Graphite, but no Kindle is sold here in Israel so I have no way to compare. The Sony I know and love. Can someone who have used both screens (or at least the regular DX and the Sony) tell me how the screens compare?

Thanks,

Avi

Last edited by avinatbezeq; 07-07-2010 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Added hyperlink for image
avinatbezeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 01:12 PM   #2
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
As the Graphite DX models ship out this week, I'm sure there will be more pictures and opinions posted here - and on other forums. Stay tuned!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2010, 01:20 PM   #3
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by avinatbezeq View Post
Hi All,

I own a Sony PRS 505, and consider switching to the DX because the screen is too small for me.

The issue is that I've seen the picture of the DX vs the Graphite and I'm astonished to say that the DX display looks terrible compared to the Sony, and the Graphite looks medicore.

Now, this is not a Sony-head trying to start a religeous war. I WANT to buy the Graphite, but no Kindle is sold here in Israel so I have no way to compare. The Sony I know and love. Can someone who have used both screens (or at least the regular DX and the Sony) tell me how the screens compare?

Thanks,

Avi
Sony 505 still is a benchmark unit. But in the meantime, other readers like nook or both Kindles are even. Not better, but certainly not worse either. The pic you're referring too doesn't represent the actual "touch and feel".
I'll get my DX Graphite in 2 or 3 days. Then I'll compare Sony 505, Kindle DX, Kindle DX Graphite and some others.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 02:17 PM   #4
masmullin
masmullin began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505 Sony
I own a PRS 505 and will be receiving a DXG later this afternoon. I'll let you know my impressions then.
masmullin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 02:40 PM   #5
avinatbezeq
Connoisseur
avinatbezeq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.avinatbezeq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.avinatbezeq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.avinatbezeq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Thank you both. I have a DX in my Amazon cart, and am waiting with the purchase till I see your reviews, even though the pictures and video I've seen and posted about here are reassuring.

A tip to international "unsupported country" buyers : Because I saw that mgmueller is from Germany, and I wondered what happened if one orders from Germany, I specified Germany as Country and was offered a European charger for a $10 discount!
Advert
Old 07-07-2010, 06:13 PM   #6
Anarel
Evangelist
Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: K1, GKDX, K3
I really don't think the pictures do the Graphite kindle justice. I've been saying it all over the place, but you really need to see it in person.

I found this youtube link that someone review the GKDX and I think it gives a pretty fair look at the contrast on the screen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pbk5SM3tHRE

Last edited by Anarel; 07-07-2010 at 06:16 PM. Reason: Link
Anarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 10:31 PM   #7
PaulGuy
Zealot
PaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enough

Device: GDX, K2i, K3 3G, nook wi-fi
In comparing the Sony PRS-505, (I have one) and the GDX (not a picture of the GDX), I'm here to tell you in side by side comparisons the GDX blows it out of the water. The lightness of the background on the PRS and the GDX are pretty darn close I'd say almost identical. But the text on the GDX is much darker and sharper. And I happen to agree that the 505 was the standard by which all the others where measured against, and always wished my Kindles could be as good. Well This one's better. I can't begin to tell you how happy I am with this thing. And I'll be buying a K3 to replace my K2 as soon as it is announced based on what I'm seeing here.
PaulGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 01:40 PM   #8
masmullin

Just received my KDXG at lunch. Comparisons vs iPad and PRS505

Weight:
- KDXG is much lighter than I expect. It's significantly lighter than the iPad. Its a bit heavier than the 505

Page Flips:
- KDXG is extremely fast. Faster than I thought possible with eInk. While the iPad is of course faster than the KDXG, its not significant. 505 is slower than KDXG, and its drawing less than half the amount of text. The KDXG must do some pre-caching for forward pages because flipping backwards isn't nearly as fast (same speed as the 505). Going forward on the KDXG can be compared to slowly flipping through a hard cover book, its very impressive

Screen:
Ok so this is what you all came for. The screen contrast is "good" but I wouldn't say "blows it out of the water". VS the 505 the KDXG's background is perhaps 3 shades whiter, but it is NOT pure white or anything close. The text looks like it's been bolded, (bolded text looks like its been double bolded). Over all the effect is that the text jumps off the screen better than the 505. It is a better experience, and might be very important if you read more than 4 or 5 hours at a time.
The iPad screen is great, if you like emitive screens. I cant read fiction on emitive screens (i literally start crying in 15min). so I HAVE to have an eink style reader for ebook fiction.

Going to have my first "read" after work today... we'll see if the overall volume/size of the KDXG is a hinders my read.
Old 07-08-2010, 05:14 PM   #9
cheerio6414
Addict
cheerio6414 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarel View Post
I really don't think the pictures do the Graphite kindle justice. I've been saying it all over the place, but you really need to see it in person.

I found this youtube link that someone review the GKDX and I think it gives a pretty fair look at the contrast on the screen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pbk5SM3tHRE
It is really hard to get an accurate picture without proper lighting
cheerio6414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 08:19 PM   #10
mochishiro
mochishiro began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
i have an ipad but found it very difficult to read because of the reflections off the glass and the high contrast gave me a lot of eye strain and irritation, especially in darker environments. it is a great device for watching videos or looking at pretty graphics. i bought the kindle so i can do some serious reading. the KDXG is great for reading indoors and out. very happy so far with my purchase.
mochishiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:44 PM   #11
andrys
Explorer
andrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kindles,SurfacePro2,NookColor,Pocket Edge,Samsung 10.1 Tab,S2 phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by avinatbezeq View Post
Hi All,

Thanks,

Avi
Avi, I'd be worried too.

Here is a photo of my Kindle 2 alongside a Sony PRS-505 when I saw one at Target:
http://www.pbase.com/andrys/image/111640848

And, one from another angle
http://www.pbase.com/andrys/image/111640845

Indoors, no flash on them all.
Here's a close-up of the Target Sony
http://www.pbase.com/andrys/image/111640847

And a close-up of the Kindle 2
http://www.pbase.com/andrys/image/111640846

To see what my own older DX (white) looks like when doing web or pdfs, etc.
see http://bit.ly/dxpics

To all -
If you have Kindles and the new software update v2.5.x on them,
try out the web browser again. It has been quite sped up.

Turn On the wireless.
From a Kindle book,
Start a highlight of a word or phrase
DON'T end the highlight

Press Spacebar instead

That will copy the word or phrase to your searchbar at the bottom.

Then, with the 5-way button, go Right a few times until you see 'Wikipedia'

Press down on the 5-way.

When finished with Wikipedia, press the Kindle's "BACK" button
(not the 'Prev' button)

and you'll be back on your book page.

Also, see http://bit.ly/mobiweb for more mobile-device-oriented sites.

People in most larger countries outside the U.S. are finding that
Amazon has enabled their web browser (probably due to the
new Facebook/Twitter feature -- forwarding highlighted passages
to them from your book). No added cost.

- Andrys
http://kindleworld.blogspot.com

Last edited by andrys; 07-09-2010 at 12:00 AM. Reason: typos
andrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 01:27 AM   #12
masmullin

So I had my first "read" with the KDXG. Im in love. I feel bad, because I love my 505 too... my love affair with reading was rekindled (no pun intended) with the 505, and I feel like a rich husband leaving his long time relationship for a trophy wife.

But damn, everything about the KDXG is wonderful. Its the perfect size, the perfect weight, the perfect screen. I cannot say enough good things about this reading machine.
Old 07-09-2010, 04:21 AM   #13
avinatbezeq
Connoisseur

Thank you all for your replies. I've just ordered my new DXG!-)
Old 07-09-2010, 04:33 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by masmullin View Post
But damn, everything about the KDXG is wonderful. Its the perfect size, the perfect weight, the perfect screen. I cannot say enough good things about this reading machine.
If only it supported ePub. I'm very tempted by the KDX, but I really don't want to have to maintain all my books in both Mobi and ePub formats.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 04:56 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If only it supported ePub. I'm very tempted by the KDX, but I really don't want to have to maintain all my books in both Mobi and ePub formats.
I think you mean KDXG and not the KDX. Different units.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote