Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-20-2010, 08:35 PM   #1
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Please help me find this story.

A friend recently told me about a story he'd read. He couldn't remember the author or title. It was about a man whose library book - Kidnapped - was overdue. I think he disputed the fine and went to court where the magistrate thought he'd been involved in a kidnapping, not realising that was the name of the book. So he was charged with kidnapping. It goes on with a series of bureaucratic errors such as the fact that R L Stevenson is dead: he is put on trial for murder, found guilty and given the death sentence. (Obviously not set in modern UK).

Nigel, my friend, was telling me about this as an example of how a simple thing like an overdue book could lead - via inefficient bureaucracy and a series of small errors - to crazy consequences.

I'd love to read the story if anyone knows it. He can't remember where he read it, but thinks it may have been in a magazine.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 10:54 PM   #2
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
The title is Computers Don't Argue; the author is Gordon R. Dickson. It's anthologized all over the place. You can even find apparently-legitimate versions online with a simple search.

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2010, 05:53 PM   #3
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
That's brilliant Xenophon; thanks so much for the info! Will be googling it asap.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
author, kidnapped, story, title