Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-22-2009, 09:58 AM   #1
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Martha Grimes - now in Kindle format

In the continuation of a seemingly bizarre or totally random method of adding books in series to the Kindle store, Amazon has added "The Grave Maurice" - the 18th book in the popular Inspector Jury series - to the Kindle store. Only the 18th book. The series currently is at #21.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Grave-Maur...5678634&sr=1-1

While I applaud the expansion of Onyx publishers ebook listings, I have to shake my head at the order - is it really so hard from a publishers standpoint to convert books in series in order - esp. as they have published the entire series in paperback already?
What kind of sorting/selection methodology would support adding only one book of a series - and that in midrange? I've seen other series where books were added from most recent in reverse (the Laurie King Mary Russell series comes to mind), but this seems especially .... wrong? stupid? inexplicable?

Last edited by poohbear_nc; 06-22-2009 at 11:50 AM.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 10:42 AM   #2
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
I've seen other series where books were added from most recent in reverse (the Laurie King Mary Russell series comes to mind), but this seems especially .... wrong? stupid? inexplicable?
Yes, yes and yes.

I suppose the reasoning behind it is that loyal readers may want the newish novels in eformat...? But I won't start a new series unless the first books are available as ebooks, so it shoots down a lot of new stuff for me. (On a related note, I've become quite the ebook snob. It's just so much easier to read and carry around ebooks.)

I've been desperately awaiting Joe Abercrombie's First Law trilogy to come out as ebooks, and the publisher website said they were coming on June 18th... and they're not out yet
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2009, 12:52 PM   #3
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So - I emailed Martha Grimes about getting the entire series converted - and got this response from her spokesperson:

"We’re working on it! Thanks for writing, I’ll pass on to Ms. Grimes… "

WooHoo!

Last edited by poohbear_nc; 06-23-2009 at 01:30 PM.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:32 PM   #4
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
So - I emailed Martha Grimes about getting the entire series converted
Good plan! I went to the website again for that book I'm waiting on, and now it's not listed AT ALL as an ebook. (Before it was "coming June 18th".) So I just emailed the author to see if there's an ebook format in the works.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 04:35 AM   #5
Gaurnim
Final Five n°42
Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Cybook Gen3
One of the possibilities is that they still had some kind of e-version for that book, which means they could convert it quickly (or at least quicker than the others).
If they have dumped the e-versions for the other books, they have to start again from OCR, which takes a bit longer.

But it's still a bit strange that they didn't start from the latest book, then.
Gaurnim is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2009, 06:20 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
My guess is that it's in Topaz.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 09:30 AM   #7
poohbear_nc
Now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
My guess is that it's in Topaz.
Nope - .azw - I bought a copy.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:34 AM   #8
poohbear_nc
Now what?

Amazon continues adding to the Richard Jury series in reverse order, after beginning with #18 (The Grave Maurice). Now available are titles #16 (Lamorna Wink) & #17 (The Blue Last)