Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen > Gen3 Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-06-2009, 03:56 PM   #1
vishcompany
Addict
vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: Gen3(†); PB302(↓); PRS-350; T1; voyage
s3c2440 serial pinout anyone?

Hello everybody,

I recently got a cybook, which keeps crashing a lot; it once got bricked, bookeen fixed it, but actually, next time, I'd just like to flash it back into life myself, so I'd like to dd the contents of the flash memory.

I looked around and found the documentation on OpenInkpot-wiki for the pinout, which seems to be showing the PCB of a first generation gen3.

The "about" page of my cybook tells me: "s3c2440 (400MHz)" and the PCB looks - err - slightly different:

Anybody tried to hack into this device yet?
Would it make any sense trying openInkpot on this one (I doubt it though)?
vishcompany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 05:08 PM   #2
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by vishcompany View Post
Hello everybody,

I recently got a cybook, which keeps crashing a lot; it once got bricked, bookeen fixed it, but actually, next time, I'd just like to flash it back into life myself, so I'd like to dd the contents of the flash memory.

I looked around and found the documentation on OpenInkpot-wiki for the pinout, which seems to be showing the PCB of a first generation gen3.

The "about" page of my cybook tells me: "s3c2440 (400MHz)" and the PCB looks - err - slightly different:

Anybody tried to hack into this device yet?
Would it make any sense trying openInkpot on this one (I doubt it though)?
IIRC, the original Gen3 used an S3C2410. And the latest e-ink Broadsheet SDK uses the S3C2416 (which is MORE powerful than an S3C2440). But they're all Samsung devices.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2009, 07:51 PM   #3
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
http://openinkpot.org/attachment/wik...100/pinout.jpg
NB: the voltage levels are 3.3V, you need a TTL<->RS232 or TTL<->USB converter.

Edit: sorry, I missed that you already saw that. They also have the pinout for EB600, but your board doesn't seem to match that either...

Last edited by igorsk; 06-06-2009 at 07:55 PM.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 01:53 PM   #4
vishcompany
Addict
vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.

pinout scheme

Thanks for the feedback.

I gave it a try today and here is the pinout of this board:

Using an FT232R TTL-USB converter the board was nicely talking at 115200 8,N,1. You can find a bootlog attached, if it is of any interest.

I managed to get into the bootloader (gives you only one second to interrupt booting), next thing for me is to learn how to get the content of the mtdblocks off the device (the usb port seems to be active). - I've done some flashing on NAS boxes, but they all can communicate through eth0, so this is a bit different, I'm thankful for any hint or link.

I'd happily contribute to the wiki, but what actually is this board?
It seems quite similar to an EB-600, featuring the same CPU and Display controller, but the memory is 2 pcs. ESMT M12L128168A, there also is some 29LV160CBTC-70G flash. No clue, if this makes any difference, or if it's just a variant of EB-600.
Attached Files
File Type: txt cybook_s3c2440_bootlog.txt (8.9 KB, 1488 views)
Old 06-21-2009, 06:28 AM   #5
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
It's a bit too late, but you give everyone your serial number (the white sticker on the top of the PCB
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2009, 04:08 PM   #6
vishcompany
Addict

True, but actually I don't care.

Last edited by vishcompany; 06-24-2009 at 04:06 PM.