Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-19-2008, 07:46 AM   #1
garygibsonsf
Addict
garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite
Import Tax

Does anyone know of any website where you can work out the import tax for different countries for importing goods like Sony Readers? I'm thinking of buying one from B&H Photo online, but I've read some scarey stories about huge taxes being added for new items bought from the States.

I'm in Taiwan, and struggling to work out what the tax might be or if I'll get charged it. I understand from what I've read so far that the shipping company may well pay the tax for me, then charge me the extra for it when it gets here. Can anyone help out?
garygibsonsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 07:55 AM   #2
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
From Fedex:
Quote:
Import Duties
The duties payable on imported goods are essentially defined on an ad valorem, specific, or selective basis, depending on the items involved. Interested parties should call the Department of Customs Administration of the Ministry of Finance directly for details. If, for some reason, accurate values cannot be determined, the wholesale domestic market value at the port of importation is used instead. The government has done much to bring tariffs into line with the standards set by the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development. The Customs Import Tariffs of the Republic of China have been amended many times since 1985, resulting in tariff cuts of nearly 70%. The ceiling rate has been lowered from the 75% that prevailed in 1985 to 30%. At present the average nominal tariff rate is 8.25 % and the average effective rate is 3.25%. Further reductions on numerous agricultural, consumer, and industrial products are expected in connection with the ROC's application for admittance to WTO.
Excise Duties
Other Import-related Fees A commodity tax must be paid if an imported product falls into one of twenty-one commodity categories. This tax ranges from 1% to 30% ad valorem, 2% to 50% ad valorem for countries with no reciprocal. A tobacco and; alcohol tax is imposed on liquor and tobacco. In addition to this, a health welfare surcharge is also imposed on tobacco and manufactured tobacco substitutes. Imports are also subject to a Trade Promotion Fee of no more than 0.04% of the CIF value. ALL items are subject to a 5% Value Added Tax (VAT). A Harbor Construction Fee is levied on all goods arriving by ocean carrier per each shipment.

Additional Duties
Additional Tariff Information There are no import duties on advertising materials or on samples of no commercial value, or on those with a customs value of under NT$3,000. Postal parcels gifts and personal items contained no controlled/restricted commodities are also duty free if their value does not exceed NT$3,000. Goods, including professional equipment and commercial samples, from countries that have carnet agreements with ROC are also duty-free if those goods are to be shipped back out of Taiwan after display, exhibit, use, etc.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2008, 08:14 AM   #3
garygibsonsf
Addict
garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite
Oh bollocks. It's going to work out even more expensive than I thought, isn't it? Am I reading it right it's slightly less than ten per cent extra on top? Maybe I'd be better off just buying one from Ebay.

"At present the average nominal tariff rate is 8.25 % and the average effective rate is 3.25%"

But which one would apply to me, if I've got it right? The 8.25 rate, or the 3.25? I've no idea what the above actually means.

Edit: found out. Six per cent (that a friend payed for a computer system imported to here). I can deal with that.

Last edited by garygibsonsf; 12-20-2008 at 10:49 PM.
garygibsonsf is offline   Reply With Quote