Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 12-10-2013, 03:34 PM   #46
JTravers
Groupie
JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeSue View Post
So, I got my iPad Air last night. Wow, it is so light compared to iPad 3. I won't get my Smart Cover until tomorrow, and --yikes-- this thing is slippery without any kind of cover or case! However, holding it one handed is pretty comfortable. I still would like a convenient way to prop it up, so I hope the Native Union Gripster comes out pretty soon. Right now I am using my phone to prop it up a little for typing and have dug out some home-made stands.
FYI, the new version of the Gripster is called the Gripster Wrap and will be out in January for the iPad Air.
http://www.nativeunion.com/us/gripster-collection.html
JTravers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 09:03 PM   #47
MeSue
Geek in the Forest
MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, iPhone 4s, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTravers View Post
FYI, the new version of the Gripster is called the Gripster Wrap and will be out in January for the iPad Air.

http://www.nativeunion.com/us/gripster-collection.html

Yes, I have been checking daily for when I can order it! What do you think of the new design? It looks a little less bulky and I like the addition of the finger strap. I just wish they still sold one without the attached cover so we could use a separate Smart Cover. I like having the option to pull the cover completely off. The attached cover looks like it could get in the way in portrait orientation. But I like how it rolls up.

With my old Gripster, I used to remove the Smart Cover and fold it into a triangle, then use that with the hinged stand on the Gripster to prop my iPad half-way between landscape and portrait when laying on my side to read in bed. That probably would not work with the new Smart Cover, though, since it lacks the overlapping segment.

But even with the attached wrap cover, Gripster is still way better than anything else I have seen. I've been using the Roocase origami shell and it's not bad, but the angle is often wrong for me, and I have to stick something under or behind to get it just right.

It's strange that you can order it for the iPad mini 1, but not the retina mini yet-- I thought the only difference was 1mm of thickness.
MeSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2013, 12:50 AM   #48
JTravers
Groupie
JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes, I have been checking daily for when I can order it! What do you think of the new design? It looks a little less bulky and I like the addition of the finger strap. I just wish they still sold one without the attached cover so we could use a separate Smart Cover. I like having the option to pull the cover completely off. The attached cover looks like it could get in the way in portrait orientation. But I like how it rolls up.

I'm hoping the new design is less bulky. The strap seems like a smart addition. The attached cover could be hit or miss - hard to say without trying it out. I've been testing out different cases, covers, and backs, but none of them allow the variety of angles and positions that the Gripster does so I'm definitely looking forward to its release next month. Hopefully, it won't disappoint.
Old 12-11-2013, 02:16 AM   #49
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Does the Gripster stand work in portrait mode?
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 08:59 AM   #50
JTravers
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Does the Gripster stand work in portrait mode?

Yes, it does. One of the main reasons I like it.
Advert
Old 12-11-2013, 09:17 AM   #51
JTravers
Groupie

Quote:

Another option I just came across. Have you tried this case on your old iPad?
http://www.zerochroma.com/product/vario-sc-mini-2

They should be shipping an iPad Air version by the end of the month.
Old 12-11-2013, 02:39 PM   #52
MeSue
Geek in the Forest
MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Another option I just came across. Have you tried this case on your old iPad?
http://www.zerochroma.com/product/vario-sc-mini-2

They should be shipping an iPad Air version by the end of the month.
Never saw it before... nice find! There are still things I like better about the Gripster, but this looks very good too. Did you see the they have a stand-alone, stick-on version?
http://www.zerochroma.com/product/solo

That's tempting but I can''t find dimensions to see if it would fit the Air. I'm going to send them a message to ask about dimensions.

EDIT: I found a review on Amazon that says it fits the Air just barely... AND... it's only $7.78 though Amazon! I went ahead and ordered one. Paid a little more so I could use Prime and get it by Friday. Still only $14.44. Now have to decide if I want to put it on the back of the Roocase or directly on the iPad and go back to the smart cover. It will probably come down to weight. We'll see when I get it.

Here's the Amazon link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BQWQKUA...32AT2WFXR2861&

Last edited by MeSue; 12-11-2013 at 03:04 PM. Reason: more info
Old 12-11-2013, 09:05 PM   #53
JTravers
Groupie

Quote:
Never saw it before... nice find! There are still things I like better about the Gripster, but this looks very good too. Did you see the they have a stand-alone, stick-on version?
http://www.zerochroma.com/product/solo

That's tempting but I can''t find dimensions to see if it would fit the Air. I'm going to send them a message to ask about dimensions.

EDIT: I found a review on Amazon that says it fits the Air just barely... AND... it's only $7.78 though Amazon! I went ahead and ordered one. Paid a little more so I could use Prime and get it by Friday. Still only $14.44. Now have to decide if I want to put it on the back of the Roocase or directly on the iPad and go back to the smart cover. It will probably come down to weight. We'll see when I get it.

Here's the Amazon link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BQWQKUA...32AT2WFXR2861&
Wow, thanks for the link! I did see the Solo but didn't really give it a second thought. For $7.78, though, I think I'll try it out. It should work well with this cheap TPU case I got from Amazon for $5.50.

I'll definitely be looking forward to hearing your impressions of it once you get it on Friday.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:52 PM   #54
MeSue
Geek in the Forest

Quote:
I'll definitely be looking forward to hearing your impressions of it once you get it on Friday.
I will certainly post a follow up when I get it. I ended up also buying a cheap hard shell back to attach it to so I can sell the roocase if I like this better. That should be here Friday as well. Can't wait! I'll probably write about all of them on my blog like I did about my iPad 3 case/stand search.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:56 PM   #55
MeSue
Geek in the Forest

On another note... I picked up my iPad 3 today to start wiping it before regifting. After spending a month with the iPad Air it almost broke my wrist when I picked it up!
Old 12-11-2013, 11:08 PM   #56
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
On another note... I picked up my iPad 3 today to start wiping it before regifting. After spending a month with the iPad Air it almost broke my wrist when I picked it up!

Lol ...
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 09:51 PM   #57
MeSue
Geek in the Forest

Quote:

I got the Solo today as well as the Fintie hard shell back cover. After weighing everything and looking it over, I decided to attach the Solo directly to the back of the iPad and return the Fintie shell. I wasn't real happy with the quality of the shell, and it was already scratched up out of the package. It also makes it hard to lift the Smart Cover from the edge. With the shell + Solo + Smart Cover the weight was a couple ounces more than the Roocase origami, so opted for less weight. Total weight of iPad + Solo + Smart Cover is 23.3 oz.

The size is just few mm wider than the iPad air, so it hangs over a tiny bit on the two sides, but it's not a problem. I think it looks better on the space gray back of the iPad than it would have looked on the red Fintie shell. I'm attaching a picture.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1386988804.862273.jpg
Views:	437
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	116669

Right now I'm reclined in the recliner with the iPad propped on my belly with the leg of the solo propped on the folded back Smart Cover for stability. This is how I use my iPad the majority of the time. The Solo is much, much more stable than the origami case, especially for typing, and I can get a much better angle without workarounds. Typing like this is a lot more stable. With the origami case, it rocked too much if I tried to type on my lap without stabilizing it somehow.

Using the Solo as a grip to hold the iPad with one hand is not going to be as comfortable as the Gripster, but I didn't have any kind of grip with the origami case, so that is also an improvement.

The mechanism isn't as elegant as the Gripster. It takes a little more effort to rotate and position the stand, and the leg is skinnier so not as stable. But it does offer almost equivalent flexibility as far as positioning options, both in portrait and landscape. The only deficiency is that you can't do upside-down portrait, with the speaker at the top, unless you install it closer to that edge. It has to be installed off-center from top to bottom or else you don't get the almost straight angle for portrait. I hope that makes sense.

Bottom line: I like it for the cheap price but I will most likely still buy the Gripster when it's out.

Incidentally, I also got a reply today from Zerochroma from my question about dimensions. It was a one sentence reply that did not give dimensions, but said they don't recommend it for the iPad Air. Not even a mention that something was in the works for iPad Air or anything. Not much in the way of salesmanship.

Anyway, I am happy with it!
Old 12-15-2013, 09:04 PM   #58
JTravers
Groupie

Quote:
I got the Solo today as well as the Fintie hard shell back cover. After weighing everything and looking it over, I decided to attach the Solo directly to the back of the iPad and return the Fintie shell. I wasn't real happy with the quality of the shell, and it was already scratched up out of the package. It also makes it hard to lift the Smart Cover from the edge. With the shell + Solo + Smart Cover the weight was a couple ounces more than the Roocase origami, so opted for less weight. Total weight of iPad + Solo + Smart Cover is 23.3 oz.

The size is just few mm wider than the iPad air, so it hangs over a tiny bit on the two sides, but it's not a problem. I think it looks better on the space gray back of the iPad than it would have looked on the red Fintie shell. I'm attaching a picture.
Attachment 116669

Right now I'm reclined in the recliner with the iPad propped on my belly with the leg of the solo propped on the folded back Smart Cover for stability. This is how I use my iPad the majority of the time. The Solo is much, much more stable than the origami case, especially for typing, and I can get a much better angle without workarounds. Typing like this is a lot more stable. With the origami case, it rocked too much if I tried to type on my lap without stabilizing it somehow.

Using the Solo as a grip to hold the iPad with one hand is not going to be as comfortable as the Gripster, but I didn't have any kind of grip with the origami case, so that is also an improvement.

The mechanism isn't as elegant as the Gripster. It takes a little more effort to rotate and position the stand, and the leg is skinnier so not as stable. But it does offer almost equivalent flexibility as far as positioning options, both in portrait and landscape. The only deficiency is that you can't do upside-down portrait, with the speaker at the top, unless you install it closer to that edge. It has to be installed off-center from top to bottom or else you don't get the almost straight angle for portrait. I hope that makes sense.

Bottom line: I like it for the cheap price but I will most likely still buy the Gripster when it's out.

Incidentally, I also got a reply today from Zerochroma from my question about dimensions. It was a one sentence reply that did not give dimensions, but said they don't recommend it for the iPad Air. Not even a mention that something was in the works for iPad Air or anything. Not much in the way of salesmanship.

Anyway, I am happy with it!
Thanks for your detailed thoughts. Sounds like a great placeholder until the Gripster is released. For the money, I think it's worth trying out. I think I'll try putting it directly on the back of the Air, as well. I'm not really liking the TPU back cover. Anything that wraps around the bezel, instead of keeping the bezel completely uncovered, ends up causing dust to either accumulate on the edges of the screen or to find its way under the edge of the TPU case.

Anyway, thanks again for sharing.
Old 12-20-2013, 12:21 PM   #59
MeSue
Geek in the Forest

JTravers: did you get your Solo yet and how do you like it? I noticed the Gripster Wrap for iPad Air is available to order now, but only in slate: http://www.nativeunion.com/us/gripst...d-air.html#128

I was also looking at the instructions, and it looks like the cover might be removable, but not as easily as the Smart Cover. From what I can tell, you have to snap off the back shell, and then the front cover can be taken off. So I guess you could use it with a Smart Cover instead of the included wrap cover if you preferred it.

I'm going to wait until they have it in the red color, and to see whether Amazon offers it cheaper.

I still like the Solo quite a lot, but I have not traveled with it yet, and that will be the true test. That will happen next week.
Old 12-22-2013, 09:44 PM   #60
JTravers
Groupie

Quote:
JTravers: did you get your Solo yet and how do you like it? I noticed the Gripster Wrap for iPad Air is available to order now, but only in slate: http://www.nativeunion.com/us/gripst...d-air.html#128

I was also looking at the instructions, and it looks like the cover might be removable, but not as easily as the Smart Cover. From what I can tell, you have to snap off the back shell, and then the front cover can be taken off. So I guess you could use it with a Smart Cover instead of the included wrap cover if you preferred it.

I'm going to wait until they have it in the red color, and to see whether Amazon offers it cheaper.

I still like the Solo quite a lot, but I have not traveled with it yet, and that will be the true test. That will happen next week.

I actually am waiting until after the holidays to try it out. I contacted ZeroChroma about the adhesives on the Solo, and they told me that they were meant for one time use. So I'm a bit hesitant to use it until I know I'll be staying at home for a while. I'm taking the iPad in and out of the house a lot these days, so I don't want to have to rip the Solo off if I need to put the Air in a more protective case for traveling and then not be able to use it again. The Roo case has actually proven to be a pretty good case to use when traveling. It seems like it works even better after being broken in for a bit. But I am looking forward to trying the Solo in the next week or so. I'll definitely share my thoughts then.

At $70, I probably won't be rushing to buy the Gripster until I've read some reviews and Amazon is stocking it (so I know I can return it hassle free, if I need to).