Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-02-2012, 02:52 PM   #1
pablo1978
pablo1978 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Kindle DX and pdf's

I have the KT and I do a lot of reading in pdf's.
Afer the last software update my KT does a great job handling pdf's.
Now I'm about to buy the K DX, but I want to be sure it works fine with pdf's
Any advice
pablo1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:04 PM   #2
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
The DX does not have the same firmware and is mediocore at best when dealing with PDF's. The larger screen is nice but it does not have the features found on the K3, K4, or KT. There is a hack that installs the K3 firmware on the DX and gives you that functionality but I do not know if that is the same as the KT. My guess is that the KT has better PDF capabilities than the K3.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2012, 06:25 PM   #3
Gardenman
Wizard
Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350,Nook HD+, Kindle 2nd gen, kindle keyboard
Does this hack allow PDF reflow?
Gardenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:19 PM   #4
yoho
Banned
yoho began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo1978 View Post
I have the KT and I do a lot of reading in pdf's.
Afer the last software update my KT does a great job handling pdf's.
Now I'm about to buy the K DX, but I want to be sure it works fine with pdf's
Any advice
K DX is designed specially for PDF. but the device is much larger than your K Touch, and it's not portable
yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:11 AM   #5
max99
Addict
max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG, PW
the kindle dx is a great pdf reader. i use it all the time for scientific papers and older pdf scans from internet archive.

the firmware issues mentioned above are minor - the 9inch screen makes up all that. you can also install the latest firmware via a hack if you really want to.
max99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2012, 10:06 AM   #6
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My DX is perfectly portable. It is less portable in the sense that it is more comfortable using two hands to hold than one when riding on a subway, but it is still portable. It is about the same size as an IPad and most folks I know find them to be very portable.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:05 PM   #7
pablo1978

Does anyone know if the Kindle DX does a decent job with the Doukan install por PDF's?
Old 05-08-2012, 12:14 PM   #8
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

Doukan is suppose to be a massive improvement.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:14 AM   #9
pablo1978

Kidndle Dx and Pdf's

Can some one try this file on a KDX ?
Thanks!!!!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Abortion and the Golden Rule - Hare.pdf (583.4 KB, 194 views)
Old 05-09-2012, 12:59 AM   #10
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Thanks!!!!
If nobody else responds I may be able to do it tomorrow morning (I only have my K3 with me right now)
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:41 AM   #11
eLiNK
Addict
eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.

Device: PRS-505, KDXG
Quote:
Thanks!!!!
What kind of information would you like?
Yes, you can read the file but is it really all you expect?

The quality is decent. Garbage in, garbage out.
As it is an image based, you won't be able to make annotations (until you recognize the text e.g. with the help of ClearScan from Acrobat and install firmware 3.* on KDXG or the kpdfviewer).

In any case, I would recommend to have a look at the kpdfviewer from the development section (which has meanwhile become a universal reader, so its name does not do it justice).

Based on your needs/expectations I would compare KDXG, Pocketbook 9xx, Onyx M92 and a 9.7" tablet featurewise and then decide.

Last edited by eLiNK; 05-09-2012 at 11:49 AM.
eLiNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:51 PM   #12
pablo1978

Thanks eLink!!!!!
I want a big ereader for academic papers (Ph.D), most in pdf and djvu, all types: image base, 2 colums, pdf create w/ latex, etc. What I want is an e-ink w/ a lot of zoom options and a decent software. Annotaion is not that important for me but, just want to read w/ some the divice that handle almost everything. (Converting pdf to mobi like i been doing takes too much time w/ mixed results) I thought of the KDX to have it synchronize w/ my KT, but now i'm more incline to the Onyx M92!
Old 05-09-2012, 02:10 PM   #13
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Kindle does not support djvu. Image-based pdfs are always going to be harder to handle than text-based.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 03:10 PM   #14
eLiNK
Addict
eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.

Device: PRS-505, KDXG
Quote:
Thanks eLink!!!!!
I want a big ereader for academic papers (Ph.D), most in pdf and djvu, all types: image base, 2 colums, pdf create w/ latex, etc. What I want is an e-ink w/ a lot of zoom options and a decent software. Annotaion is not that important for me but, just want to read w/ some the divice that handle almost everything. (Converting pdf to mobi like i been doing takes too much time w/ mixed results) I thought of the KDX to have it synchronize w/ my KT, but now i'm more incline to the Onyx M92!
Well, actually out of the box the Kindle is not a great device (for your needs).
But thanks to the efforts of community, it is quite decent now.

Armed with Doukan or (my favorite) kpdfviewer, you would be able to meet all your needs (at least those described).

What those additional applications are not able to solve, is the inherent sluggishness of the e-ink devices.

P.S.: I am satisfied with the speed but not quite happy.

Last edited by eLiNK; 05-09-2012 at 03:13 PM.
eLiNK is offline   Reply With Quote