Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 07-10-2011, 11:55 AM   #1
AngZ
AngZ began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Question Deleted books still exist in Calibre Library folder?

Firstly I would like to say that I *did* try searching for similar issues but was unsuccessful. I hope somebody can help me.

I've recently imported a VERY large collection of ebooks into my newly installed calibre. After hours of cleaning up and organizing, adding covers, etc I am now ready to transfer it all to my Nook Color.

However, I wanted to also save a copy of my library on my usb drive. When using the save to disk option through calibre I sent the contents of my freshly organized library to a new folder on my desktop. This folder would not transfer to my USB drive. The error I received was " Cannot find the specified file. Make sure you specify the correct path and file name"

I decided to just grab my Calibre Library folder instead and shift the whole thing to my USB but to my horror, all of the books I had worked to weed out and delete remained in the Library. I even checked within one of the author folders that I was sure to have deleted all books related and sure enough all of the files I had deleted were there.

So while Calibre itself does not show all these authors/books I've removed...the calibre library folder seems reluctant to give them up.

What do I do?
AngZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 01:59 PM   #2
AngZ

Well, it's not a fix but I guess it makes for a good enough work around. For anyone who runs into this in the future what I did was:

Library>Switch/Create> Move Current Library to a New Location

I created a Folder simply titled Books on my desktop and moved the library there. It moved only the books that actually show up in Calibre and left behind all the ones that were "deleted".

Unfortunately this has not solved my problem of moving the library onto my USB. I am still getting the error :

"Cannot find the specified file. Make sure you specify the correct path and file name"

Advert
Old 07-10-2011, 02:06 PM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngZ View Post
Unfortunately this has not solved my problem of moving the library onto my USB. I am still getting the error :

"Cannot find the specified file. Make sure you specify the correct path and file name"
This isn't a calibre error, exactly what are you doing when you get this error?
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 02:07 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Well, it's not a fix but I guess it makes for a good enough work around. For anyone who runs into this in the future what I did was:

Library>Switch/Create> Move Current Library to a New Location

I created a Folder simply titled Books on my desktop and moved the library there. It moved only the books that actually show up in Calibre and left behind all the ones that were "deleted".

Calibre is supposed to Refuse to put a Library on the Desktop.
This was after someone used the Delete Library feature (since dumbed down) and it effectively removed All files on the desktop.
Why didn't you write your library direct to the USB pen drive (yes, I know it is slow), but it works for me..
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 02:23 PM   #5
AngZ

If I could send it directly to the USB from Calibre I would, regardless of how long it took. But my only options in the Send to Device menu is to send it to my Nook. It is not recognizing my F: drive (USB).

So I have been trying to manually copy/paste, Drag and Drop, Send to F: directly to my USB but all attempts give me the path error.
Advert
Old 07-10-2011, 02:48 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
If I could send it directly to the USB from Calibre I would, regardless of how long it took. But my only options in the Send to Device menu is to send it to my Nook. It is not recognizing my F: drive (USB).

So I have been trying to manually copy/paste, Drag and Drop, Send to F: directly to my USB but all attempts give me the path error.
That possibly indicates a damaged filesystem.

BTW Save to Device is only for recognized Readers.
No Calibre Library is Created, only files.

Save to Disk: is for all others, including any type of USB drive.

But in your case, it seems you want a New Library.

That is done from the arrow on the Library Icon. Create/Switch.

Now select books: Right click and Copy/Copy+Delete (Move) to Library YourNew, Now you have a working Calibre Library and not just a collection of Books
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 02:53 PM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Calibre is supposed to Refuse to put a Library on the Desktop.
He didn't move it to his desktop, he moved it to a sub-directory of his desktop called books that was empty. Calibre doesn't really care where it is as long as it is empty.

Quote:
This was after someone used the Delete Library feature (since dumbed down) and it effectively removed All files on the desktop.
That person set the desktop as his library, not a separate folder.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 07-10-2011 at 02:55 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 03:08 PM   #8
AngZ

Quote:
That possibly indicates a damaged filesystem.

BTW Save to Device is only for recognized Readers.
No Calibre Library is Created, only files.

Save to Disk: is for all others, including any type of USB drive.

But in your case, it seems you want a New Library.

That is done from the arrow on the Library Icon. Create/Switch.

Now select books: Right click and Copy/Copy+Delete (Move) to Library YourNew, Now you have a working Calibre Library and not just a collection of Books

Thanks! I am giving this a try right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
He didn't move it to his desktop, he moved it to a sub-directory of his desktop called books that was empty. Calibre doesn't really care where it is as long as it is empty.
Correct. I moved it to a Folder on the Desktop. Thanks for the clarification and relieving me of the fear of making this whole thing worse. It's only a temporary location anyway to separate the wanted from the not wanted.

ps: I feel compelled to clear this up: I am a SHE...not HE